News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Short Tour of Dublin North: THE ISLAND GC
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »
As usual, nice to get your views on The Island. It looks incredibly narrow in part. I remember playing there as a boy in the 1960s but I don't remember the course. It seems to have been considerably rebuilt over the years. Where did the money come from? In those days you could even play Royal Dublin and Portmarnock for a few pounds (as you could almost any course in the UK) and these seemingly less prestigious venues were just peanuts.

Sean, do you fancy meeting me one day at Holywell on the north Wales coast? There are a few very ordinary holes, but I think you would enjoy it - sheep roaming the course.

You'd also be welcome again at Prestbury. It's much improved in upkeep - they have a new ace greenkeeper. I am sure they would guest you - they are very hospitable. It's in stunning condition.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
I enjoyed playing the Island when I was in Ireland but "narrow" is not the word for one of the holes I think was on the back. It's about as wide as a bowling alley. It was claustrophobic.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
Although I can't presently recall where I heard it, I believe at The Island it's playing off mats in the winter period. Anyone know if this is correct?

The County Louth/Baltray website says mats are used in winter. Anyone happen to know if it's winter mats at Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, The European etc?

Atb

Thomas,

I played Royal Dublin many years ago (1991 maybe) and at that time, we were asked to pick up off the fairway and drop in the semi-rough. Can't remember what we did closer to the greens.

Regarding Royal Dublin, why do so many give this course a miss when in the area. Granted, there are no big dunes, but it's a good solid course with lots of undulations. Some people complain about the setting and the Poolbeg towers being an eyesore. Perhaps it's a bit pricey?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »
I don''t know why I don't have a strong memory of The Island as being notably narrow, since I tend to spray the ball.  Yet, it was my 17th and last round within 21 days on my recent fall trip to Ireland.  I did play a few courses that arguably had better layouts/routings, well placed and designed green sites, and bunker placements.  But, perhaps it was the sense of place - last Ireland round, played fairly well, and the views at sunset that cause me to say that while a bit more pricey than some, they were Euros well spent.  The exceptional sunset view back across the Estuary to Malahide, and the sight of the  steeple of St. Syl's (where I stayed immediately next door) some nice folk I was placed with including a New Jersey couple who the wife could really play, all added up to a rather magical round.  No, it isn't up to the Portmarnock standard I was lucky enough to experience the year before.  But, it has all the authentic coastal dunes, nicely presented and maintained course that you would be happy you paid up to play.  My best shot of the day was a 4 metal 17 degree, to the demanding and long par 3, 13th that I made par.  Perhaps that elevated my fondness for the course...  ::) ;D But not really, it is a lovely coastal dunes course without that subjective influence.  And, the clubhouse staff was wonderful in every way.  Cathy, a guest hospitality official literally took full control and responsibility to get my clubs shipped with "Luggage Forward" back to my home, filing out and affixing all paperwork and scheduling the prompt pickup of the courier so I could go on worry free with the rest of my trip, Dublin sightseeing and on to Italy. 

BTW, Malahide is a no-brainer for a place to stay while visiting Dublin, IMO. Castle is a must see, and good pub/restaurants in the village.  I stayed there two years in a row, with DART station an easy ride into the city.  No need to drive/park car around Dublin.  Only downer is DART stops running way too early in the evening, like around 11pm.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Moore

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
Thank you for the tours. Heading to Baltray and the Island this September.  Played Baltray in a sideways rain in 2005 while wearing glasses so look forward to seeing the course for the first time this time. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
Reflecting two weeks later. Just found another favourite course. I agreed its quite a challenge but I got round with one ball and in fact scored there best of these 4 courses, and the wind was the most challenging we found.
I like the way it seems to start almost as a typical high Dune west of Ireland course but gradually the terrain calms down and a different feel emerges. It’s, it’s own place as they say.
I realised it was all 4’s to the 9th, but like Deal as long as the shot is interesting, you soon forget that stuff. Quality golf throughout and a must see in Ireland.  Taken me 15 years to get there, hope it’s not that long to get back.

Agree with Ally, top 10 Ireland.

Thanks again for the happy memory.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 05:07:52 AM »
Mark

I would like to see Prestbury again sometime.  I have also heard things about Holywell. 

Donal

I must admit a lack of will power to see Royal Dublin because I have never heard stellar things about the course, well not enough praise to justify the rather large green fee. 

Rob

Yes, 14 is narrow!  Yet, for some reason I like the hole...probably because it is so outrageous. 

Spangles

The Island is a very comfortable lock top 10 in Ireland and I would personally go as far as top 5.  As you say, it is its own place.  I don't know of a course quite like it.  The mix of excellent terrain and between the dunes holes is stellar. The course is lacking nothing, but The Island is difficult.  I am not sure it is a course I would want to tackle on a weekly basis.   

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:57:11 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 06:03:58 AM »
I really like Royal Dublin. It isn't dramatic, but it is a very solid, entertaining course, beautifully presented with (when I was there four years ago) the best links rough I had ever seen -- tall and waving so it has strong landscape value but open enough that you can find your ball and get a club on it. I talked to the club about their rough management when I visited -- and carried an article on it -- and the message was that, when they had done a big reno some years earlier with Hawtree, a lot of material had been brought to site that was not ideal (too fertile) and this resulted in a thick, meadowy jungle off the fairways, so they had invested in scarifying equipment and worked hard over several years to thin it out.

The club is also extremely friendly and welcoming, although obviously (sadly) you will no longer bump into Himself, Christy O'Connor Sr, while there. Still, you can reflect in awe on his eagle-birdie-eagle finish to win a tournament there in the sixties.

I love the sixteenth hole, a classic short par four, and though I know it is polarising, I personally also really like the eighteenth. It's forced for sure, but it is incredibly strategic and for me that is enough (in this case!)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
Royal Dublin has a lot going for it. 16 and 17 are two cracking holes and 18 has to be applauded as something completely different.

As for The Island, it scrapes top-10 as I said earlier but top-5 it definitely isn't. The very fact that you say you'd struggle to play it every week should immediately disqualify it from that status (although you'd likely say the same about dead certs such as Portrush)

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
Ally

Thats right, Lahinch is the only top Irish links I think would keep me happy 52 weeks a year.  I find the combo of more playability and funk the clear sweepstakes winner.  That said, The Island would be far more managable if I were an injury free 10 capper.  Still, it would be trial just as Dunluce and Co Down would be week in and week out. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 06:57:55 AM »
Update on The Island:

M&E have been doing considerable work with DAR Golf and Dave Edmondson over the winter months.

Although I don't know the intricate details of the plan, it involves bringing the new par-3 fourth hole in to the routing (between current 3 and 4), reworking the entire approach to the old 4th (new 5th), rerouting the old 7th hole (new 8th) to a green site further right and then combining the old 8th and old 9th in to a new 9th.

Really looking forward to seeing the work. A couple of concerns that they may have lost some individual character (e.g. the land where the old 7th green was had a beautiful roll and approach - a thinking second shot) but I'll wait until I get there to pass further comment. From the photos, the green site at the new 5th has been greatly improved.

Niall C

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 07:40:00 AM »
That's very spooky. In an idle moment at work this morning I was checking out the courses round Dublin on google maps and the Island was one of the courses I looked at. There certainly seems to be some cracking courses near by and I wonder if Dublin might rank with say Liverpool as a city/links golf destination ?

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2020, 08:00:06 AM »
That's very spooky. In an idle moment at work this morning I was checking out the courses round Dublin on google maps and the Island was one of the courses I looked at. There certainly seems to be some cracking courses near by and I wonder if Dublin might rank with say Liverpool as a city/links golf destination ?

Niall

Niall,

Come over and see us - would be very happy to look after a four-ball of GCA fans for a few days.

Portmarnock, The Island, Baltray and Royal Dublin makes for a cracking trip to North County Dublin. I think a trip to The European is also a must, despite it being 75 minutes around the other side of the city.

Then you can throw in Corballis, Laytown & Bettystown and Sutton for a few quick rounds.

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2020, 08:47:58 AM »
Update on The Island:

M&E have been doing considerable work with DAR Golf and Dave Edmondson over the winter months.

Although I don't know the intricate details of the plan, it involves bringing the new par-3 fourth hole in to the routing (between current 3 and 4), reworking the entire approach to the old 4th (new 5th), rerouting the old 7th hole (new 8th) to a green site further right and then combining the old 8th and old 9th in to a new 9th.

Really looking forward to seeing the work. A couple of concerns that they may have lost some individual character (e.g. the land where the old 7th green was had a beautiful roll and approach - a thinking second shot) but I'll wait until I get there to pass further comment. From the photos, the green site at the new 5th has been greatly improved.

sa it ain't so.....
no money in doing less I guess.

Amazed they didn't rework 14.....:(

Where are you seeing pictures?
How do you get from 3 green to new 4, then back to (new) 5 tee

and why?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Mayhugh

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »
Some pics on twitter. Reserving comment.

https://twitter.com/DARGolf_/status/1230940094200188928

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
Jeff,

The new 4th was actually built about 10 years ago by Hawtree. It’s a par-3 teeing from left of the previous green back towards and along the main dune ridge. The next hole then has a new first 200m of fairway before joining the old hole at the turning point. Now slight dogleg right instead of dogleg left.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »
Niall
Niall,
Come over and see us - would be very happy to look after a four-ball of GCA fans for a few days.
Portmarnock, The Island, Baltray and Royal Dublin makes for a cracking trip to North County Dublin. I think a trip to The European is also a must, despite it being 75 minutes around the other side of the city.
Then you can throw in Corballis, Laytown & Bettystown and Sutton for a few quick rounds.
I’d be up for such a trip (if you’d have me!). :)
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2020, 03:05:28 PM »
Jeff,

The new 4th was actually built about 10 years ago by Hawtree. It’s a par-3 teeing from left of the previous green back towards and along the main dune ridge. The next hole then has a new first 200m of fairway before joining the old hole at the turning point. Now slight dogleg right instead of dogleg left.

Thanks
Ally
7 and 8 were pretty cool greensites.
9 no loss but that's a tight awkward area up there for a par 3 green. let alone what I think is a par 5
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »
Count me as another interested in Niall organising that 4 ball....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
Great stuff,

Throw out a couple of dates for later in the summer and I’ll try and sort a good value agenda. See if it works for you...

Maybe IM email address and I’ll start something...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
I'd like another look at The Island as my only visit was during a summer of extra green and lush rough. Has has been mentioned, the playing corridors are not "wide," and the rough was so difficult that missing a fairway by a foot was most likely a lost ball. It was one of the most brutal experiences I have had on a links course. Needless to say I came away feeling beaten like a red-headed stepchild and, as a result, the course has probably been under appreciated by me.

Maybe I can sneak off with a few of the lads for a look this summer.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
Count me as another interested in Niall organising that 4 ball....

I'm sure I read somewhere that the trick to good management is delegation. Check your email.

Niall

Ira Fishman

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
Please tell me that they did not mess with the 5th hole which is one of my favorites.  We are making a return visit in June, and I will be disappointed if I do not get to experience that hole again. 

Ira

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2020, 10:18:02 AM »
Please tell me that they did not mess with the 5th hole which is one of my favorites.  We are making a return visit in June, and I will be disappointed if I do not get to experience that hole again. 

Ira

Don’t believe there is any messing with the 5th (new 6th).

At least, I hope not.

Sean_A

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 07:15:19 AM »
It's tough to lose the 7th green. Does the change have something to with the combined 8/9?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back