News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Laurent

Arlington Country Club (Aladdin CC)
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
Donald Ross is given credit for designing Arlington (later known as Aladdin)Country Club in Columbus, Ohio around 1921.  While looking into the history of this club, I found the following:

Arlington Country Club was founded in 1896 with an emphasis on horseback riding, not golf.  There was a four-hole golf course that was expanded to nine holes in 1907.  The Shriners purchased the course and renamed it the Aladdin Country Club.  With only two nine-hole courses in the area, a group of members started an 18 hole facility just to the north of the existing Aladdin Country Club.  This new course was known by the locals as the Arlington Club...or the official name, Scioto Country Club.  The Aladdin Country Club closed in 1925.

Through the limited amount of information I have found on this course, there was never a mention of Donald Ross.  Does anyone know what input he had into this facility?  Did he draw a plan for the existing land that never was developed, or was he possibly involved in the early stages of the club?

Link to the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society with an article on the club (page 3):
http://www.ghmchs.org/PDFs/VIEWPOINTS-SP02.pdf

Clubhouse and other photos:
http://www.ghmchs.org/tour-pages/aladdin.html
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Thomas MacWood

Re: Arlington Country Club (Aladdin CC)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
My grandfather was a member of the old Arlington CC. I don't believe Ross had anything to do with the course. There is a map of the course in one of Daniel Wexler's book and it doesn't look like Ross to me. I suspect it was Bendelow, who was also involved at Columbus CC around the same time.

Do you know what year the course was expanded to 18 holes?

Brian Laurent

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »
Tom...I do not see any information suggesting it was ever expanded to 18 holes. 
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
Brian
I found the course listed in the 1930 Golf Course Guide and it was 18 holes 6430 yards. The book Lost Links has map of the course which is pretty interesting, it shows the course near the banks of the Scioto River.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
For anyone that cares -

Chillicothe Gazette, May 23, 1921

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back