News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: The Redan and its Templates - Uphill, Downhill and Flat
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2023, 02:04:12 AM »
Does the 13th (?) at Cavendish qualify as a Redan? If so: it's about 30 feet uphill.

A cracking hole with some Redanish qualities, but not really a Redan. The 9th at Reddish Vale is cut from the same cloth.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brian Finn

Re: The Redan and its Templates - Uphill, Downhill and Flat
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2023, 11:33:54 AM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of uphill Redans.  I think the best of them is the 4th at NGLA, which is a few feet downhill.  That allows you to see the ball run out down the slope of the green.

If it's too far downhill, though, the ball isn't going to run out as much when it lands, and that's an integral part of the hole.  The Redan at Yale is the one that comes to mind as too far downhill.
Tom,

A few years ago there was a thread that included a debate about the Redan at Mountain Lake. The debate was basically about whether the hole was too easy, but I don’t recall anyone making the observation you did hill about a Redan being too far downhill. IMO, that Redan may have the problem you describe.

As for Yale, I agree. It may not have been a good place to build a Redan or maybe the tee was just in the wrong place.

I felt like Black Creek Club had this problem and I looked it up- 50(!) feet downhill.
The reverse redan 7th plays uphill and more like the better US versions of the hole, with a kicker on the left and significant slope on the green.  I also thought the downhill 11th played as intended, but I have been fortunate that the course was dry and firm on all of my visits.  That is a really fun golf course!
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back