News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Corballis x2 Or Corballis And Bettystown & Laytown
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
What say folks in the know? I have already decided that Corballis is gonna happen so I booked it twice (its cheap as chips).  I hear B&L is quite good as well...on the way to Baltray, but its 60 Euros.  What do folks think, is it worth ditching a game at Corballis to play both courses?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Clyde Johnson

Re: Corballis x2 Or Corballis And Bettystown & Laytown
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:49 PM »
Well I've never been to Corballis, but I did take a walk around Bettystown and Laytown last autumn...

Essentially an out and back, though the first heads towards town, with two thru ten hugging the primary dune ridge with just enough variety, and the odd detour either side of it. The par-five fourth is a beauty, stepping up to a tilted dune top for the final 100 yards - a risky chance of chasing one down in two. Short ninth is a cool there, semi-blind into a raised bowl. The return is quieter, with enough hint of intuition to keep you compelled. Blind on the second, and third, unless you steer close to the road, the finisher is a pretty unusual finisher!

Solid "Doak 5"...I wished that i'd been able to play!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Sean,

I haven't played Corballis but have played L&B a number of times over the last 30 years. I would say go for L&B. Yes, maybe €60 is a bit expensive, but I'm not sure you'll get the chance to play it for less. That's about £50 I guess. Of course if you compare the price to a course such as Silloth, which you can play for around £45, then there's no comparision, but the price is probably due to its proximity to Dublin and that it's the next best thing after Baltray and the Island. The first nine is good with some very nice holes in the dunes. The back nine isn't as good, but there are still some good holes. The last is an unusual par five with a green surrounded by mounds. Don't over club or you'll be in the clubhouse.

Here's a link to the course fly-over; see for yourself.

http://vimeo.com/145871791

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
L&B
Didn't get to play Corballis, but drove by it multiple times-looks fun
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »
Haven't played Corballis but did play L&B last March as a warm-up right off the plane -- well worth it though I recall it being much less than 60 euro in March. Clyde sums up the routing well. Before your round, it's worth climbing to top of dune that shields 18th green on third shot, just to see the hole. It was a head-scratcher for a first-time visitor.

For someone coming from across the Atlantic and heading north from Dublin, it's the perfect intro (or re-intro) to links golf.

hhuffines

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:31:26 PM »
I can't comment on the other course but I played Corbalis a few years ago and enjoyed it.  The front nine starts and ends with a couple of atypical holes but the others on the front are quite exciting given the variety of shots and the water views.  I don't remember the backside well but there were a couple of good holes.  The sea is blocked by beach homes and I seem to remember netting and a close-by vacation trailer area.

I would consider playing the front side twice if I get back there.  I assume you have already played The Island.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 04:01:01 AM »
DO I get a vote?

Not played either.

Corballis seems short but fun
http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/corballis-links

Paidraig Dooley once spoke highly to me of B&L, particulary the greens and I've wanted to see it for some time.
http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/laytown-bettystown

So the answer is to take up Corballis on their excellent offer and play it twice on one day and then B&L the next. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:33:51 AM »
DO I get a vote?

Not played either.

Corballis seems short but fun
http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/corballis-links

Paidraig Dooley once spoke highly to me of B&L, particulary the greens and I've wanted to see it for some time.
http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/laytown-bettystown

So the answer is to take up Corballis on their excellent offer and play it twice on one day and then B&L the next. ;)

Spangles

If you are short of cash for dinner blame the good folks on this site.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:09:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 04:46:51 AM »
I asked about Corballis a liitle while ago.
See - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64200.msg1529789.html#msg1529789 - for the replies.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:50 AM »
Corballis is a done deal....we will be there, just wondering about B&L.  I think enough positives have come my way...I will try to book B&L...thanks.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:09:56 AM by Sean_A »

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
Bit late to this party but think you are correct to take in L&B as well Sean (although it's a while since I've played either of these) - L&B a v solid local links, EUR 60 not unreasonable for midsummer. Remember to pick up the phone on the 18th tee to tell the kitchen how you want your steaks done :)

Corballis is a riot of quirk, blindness, at times potential downright unfairness - worth seeing. It can feel like 3  or 4 different courses at times with the changes in width, terrain etc - looking forward to reading your thoughts on it. 3rd is a cracker - down and up par 4.5 legging right, some excellent fairway movement and a great green site at the end of it all - hole has a bit of a Carne-like feel to this observer.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 02:14:22 PM »
If on a day you can't play Portmarnock or Co. Louth (or The Island), and only have time for one morning round before flying out of DUB, which of these two would you pick? Corballis or L&B? 
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Sean_A

Re: Corballis x2 Or Corballis And Bettystown & Laytown New
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 05:59:31 PM »
If on a day you can't play Portmarnock or Co. Louth (or The Island), and only have time for one morning round before flying out of DUB, which of these two would you pick? Corballis or L&B? 

Even though I prefer Corballis it probably isn't better, but it's quicker and closer to the airport.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 01:46:40 AM by Sean_A »

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 10:54:49 PM »

I haven’t played Corballis but have played L&B as a warm-up off the plane before tackling some of the bigger names with a friend who had never played links golf before. He agreed after the trip that it was a great way to get comfortable with playing links golf — at a reasonable price.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back