News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Another list: http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/photo/2017/04/19/best-golf-courses-every-state-public-and-private.

But this one actually provides an opportunity for a question I think is interesting: in how many states out of 50 is the best golf course public?

I've only put answers for the ones I feel certain about.

Alabama
[/color]Alaska
[/color]Arizona
[/color]Arkansas NO
[/color]California NO
[/color]Colorado NO
[/color]Connecticut NO
[/color]Delaware
[/color]Florida NO
[/color]Georgia NO
[/color]Hawaii
[/color]Idaho
[/color]Illinois NO
[/color]Indiana
[/color]Iowa
[/color]Kansas NO
[/color]Kentucky NO
[/color]Louisiana
[/color]Maine
[/color]Maryland
[/color]Massachusetts NO
[/color]Michigan NO
[/color]Minnesota NO
[/color]Mississippi
[/color]Missouri NO
[/color]Montana
[/color]Nebraska NO
[/color]Nevada
[/color]New Hampshire
[/color]New Jersey NO
[/color]New Mexico
[/color]New York NO
[/color]North Carolina
[/color]North Dakota
[/color]Ohio NO
[/color]Oklahoma NO (Karsten Creek is private anyway)
[/color]Oregon YES
[/color]Pennsylvania NO
[/color]Rhode Island NO
[/color]South Carolina
[/color]South Dakota
[/color]Tennessee NO
[/color]Texas
[/color]Utah
[/color]Vermont
[/color]Virginia
[/color]Washington
[/color]West Virginia
[/color]Wisconsin
[/color]Wyoming

Jason Topp

Re: Best Public/Private in each state — one worthwhile question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
I would not pick many of the courses they have listed number 1 but based on their picks, I have enough experience to issue the following opinions:

Arizona - no (although they did not come close to picking the best public course.  I think the right answer is probably yes)
Michigan - no
Minnesota - no (funny thing is that the picture purportedly of Giant's Ridge Quarry is actually of the other course on the property)
Iowa - yes (they clearly picked the wrong private course.  Des Moines CC is probably rightfully 5th or 6th at best)
Nevada - no (pretty close call that depends on one's taste)
Texas - No

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »

A few that could be yes for top public over top private:

Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Utah (I vote yes)
Washington (I vote yes)

Oregon, I think, is a given.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »

A few that could be yes for top public over top private:

Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Utah (I vote yes)
Washington (I vote yes)

Oregon, I think, is a given.

I agree with you on Oregon, Utah, Nevada and Washington. A few others that are at least debatable (based on the courses on the list) would be North Carolina (I'd vote yes), South Carolina (I'd vote no), Maryland (close) and West Virginia (I'd vote no).
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
Wisconsin is probably a yes.  Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Lawsonia Links, Sand Valley, take your pick...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
Montana gotta be a no with RCCC

Idaho as well with Gozzer...

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
I have to say Ohio is a no. In my opinion, Fowlers Mill is the best public and the best private is either Camargo or TGC (but my favorite is Brookside or Kirtland).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
Wisconsin is probably a yes.  Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Lawsonia Links, Sand Valley, take your pick...

I'd take Blue Mound over any of the above.

Steve Fekety

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
AZ was a swing and miss on both the Public and Private in my opinion.  I can't think of a Public course in the state that beats Desert Forest.  Privates win, I just don't think the win goes to Estancia. 

Washington was a tough one too.  I would rather play Royal Oaks or Tacoma Country & Golf over Chambers and Sahalle any day.  Two of the best green complexes in that state.  So I guess I give the nod to the Privates.

Somebody please weigh in on South Carolina.  Dying to hear some takes on that one.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
New Jersey - Not a chance

Real question is how far down the list do you have to go to get to a public option?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
AZ was a swing and miss on both the Public and Private in my opinion.  I can't think of a Public course in the state that beats Desert Forest.  Privates win, I just don't think the win goes to Estancia. 

Washington was a tough one too.  I would rather play Royal Oaks or Tacoma Country & Golf over Chambers and Sahalle any day.  Two of the best green complexes in that state.  So I guess I give the nod to the Privates.

Somebody please weigh in on South Carolina.  Dying to hear some takes on that one.

I don't know... We-Ko-Pa is really good.  Really good. 

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »

I really like The Ocean Course, and I love Yeamans Hall. Since they're diametric opposites, I think it would just boil down to what type of golf you personally prefer.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ken Fry

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
I have to say Ohio is a no. In my opinion, Fowlers Mill is the best public and the best private is either Camargo or TGC (but my favorite is Brookside or Kirtland).

Ohio is most certainly a no. I completely agree about Fowlers Mill as the best public in Ohio, but it's a few notches below the top private courses in the state. I'm not surprised Muirfield Village was picked, but it wouldn't have been my choice.

Kentucky is most certainly a no as well. For best private course, I suppose it's a coin flip between Valhalla and Idle Hour, depending on your preference. These two are head, shoulders, and possibly knees and toes above the best public courses in the state.

Lassing Pointe must still be riding the wave of its prior achievements. It's no where near the course it used to be. I think it's clear at this point that the magazines haven't checked out the Kentucky State Park courses. There are at least 3 park courses I'd give the nod to over Lassing Pointe, if you didn't already give the nod to Kearney Hill, notably Hidden Cove, Dale Hallow, and Wasioto Winds.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Steve,

Have you played Wine Valley?  This may be a style preference thing, but I'd guess neither of the two you mentioned hold a candle to WV!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
Steve,

Have you played Wine Valley?  This may be a style preference thing, but I'd guess neither of the two you mentioned hold a candle to WV!

+1
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Brian Finn

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »
Ohio is most certainly a no. I completely agree about Fowlers Mill as the best public in Ohio, but it's a few notches below the top private courses in the state. I'm not surprised Muirfield Village was picked, but it wouldn't have been my choice.
They just took the highest rated course from their magazine's top 100 list.  What have you played in Ohio that is better than Muirfield Village?

NC is close, and while I don't think Wade Hampton is as good as Pinehurst #2 (the two in the magazine), I think Old Town beats them both.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:32:48 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Kirk Gill

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
I'm surprised that the best public in Colorado is Norman's course at Red Sky Ranch. I can't say that I've comprehensively covered all of the best courses in the state, but do folks really feel like that course should top the list?

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Joe Zucker

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »
They just took the highest rated course from their magazine's top 100 list.  What have you played in Ohio that is better than Muirfield Village?

NC is close, and while I don't think Wade Hampton is as good as Pinehurst #2 (the two in the magazine), I think Old Town beats them both.

I would argue Canterbury and Brookside are better than Muirfield.  I haven't played Camargo or Moraine, but those should be in the conversation.  And then you could also include Inverness, but in my opinion that is a step below the others.

I went around Fowlers hundreds of times during college and it is a good track.  However, I think you can figure it out in a few plays and does not continue to to keep the mind guessing in the same way the best courses do.

Brian Finn

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »

I would argue Canterbury and Brookside are better than Muirfield.  I haven't played Camargo or Moraine, but those should be in the conversation.  And then you could also include Inverness, but in my opinion that is a step below the others.

I went around Fowlers hundreds of times during college and it is a good track.  However, I think you can figure it out in a few plays and does not continue to to keep the mind guessing in the same way the best courses do.
I really enjoy Canterbury, Kirtland, and Moraine, but I don't think they are better than MVGC. Among the contenders for best in state (that I have played), Brookside is up there, as is The Golf Club. I haven't played Camargo, but it seems to be in the conversation.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

I don't know... We-Ko-Pa is really good.  Really good.

I like WeKoPa a lot. But I think Desert Forest has it over the Saguaro course comfortably.

I haven't played really any of the other high end privates around here. Estancia does tend to come out on top of the ratings.

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »

I'd take Blue Mound over any of the above.

No, and no. Milwaukee CC is best in state.

Jury still out on Sand Valley...

BCowan

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »

I really enjoy Canterbury, Kirtland, and Moraine, but I don't think they are better than MVGC. Among the contenders for best in state (that I have played), Brookside is up there, as is The Golf Club. I haven't played Camargo, but it seems to be in the conversation.

Inverness  7.6 (the best is yet to come)
Moraine  7.6
Kirtland 7.3 (need another play)
Scioto 7
OSU Scarlet 6.1
Canterbury 6
MVGC 6
Sylvania 5.8
Double Eagle 5.4

Can't wait to play Brookside this year
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:12:53 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Dave Givnish

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
On Arizona - Did I miss something and Desert Forest went public? Whisper Rock Upper and one of the Scottsdale National courses will probably edge out Estancia for top private within the next 5-10 years. Wekopa Saguaro is tough but not impossible to beat on the public side.
On Virginia - Kinloch versus RTJ is a tight contest on the private side.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
My pet peeve about many golfers in general....

That what course is "best" is quantifiable, and more sadly, that so many demand the "best" , rather than appreciating and embracing a wide variety of courses and course types.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back