News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Golf in the Adirondacks
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
Matt-You should be in the process of planning another trip to see the cream of the crop. Teugega and Yahnundasis are almost on top of each other and are worthy of a trip by themselves. Troy, Glen's Falls and Leathetstocking as well are also
must see. The stuff you saw looks fun but you missed too many good ones.

Tim Martin

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »
How about this itinerary:

Ekwanok
Taconic
Sagamore
Glens Falls
Troy
Leatherstocking
Yahnundasis
Teugega

You could add in Rutland, Seven Oaks, Mohawk and Onondaga.

Be hard pressed to find a better deeper run of quality architecture done by the old dead guys!

John-Ekwanok,Taconic and Rutland are not in the Adirondacks. Think the Taconic and Green Mountain range instead.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
The Erie Canal Tour remains my favorite all-time golf trip.  Onondaga, Teugega, Glens Falls, Yahnandasis and CC of Troy with a side trip to Fenway.  Hated to miss Leatherstocking. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
Tim: Yes, I definitely wanted to see those courses, but couldn't make them all happen between their member events and obligations to my wife. I think I will be able to convince some fellow GCA buddies to go on a fall weekend trip to see a few of them this year.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »
Has anyone played Tupper Lake CC lately?  It's been years since I've been there, but I still have vivid memories of a few of the holes.  I recall some fun holes on the front nine. 

Also--I always enjoyed a day off from Teugaga to play Inlet.  A course with some quirky holes and awkward routing, but also a course that, in many spots, has a true Adirondacky feel to it, i.e. you're really out in the woods.  Rough hewn.   

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
Ed: I didn't get a chance to play Tupper Lake while I was up there, but one of Malone's current assistant pros just played the Tupper Lake Open there a couple of weeks ago. From what I understand it could be in better shape, but nothing really horrible. It's still over-treed and could use some TLC. For better or worse, depending on how you look at it, I have heard the Greg Norman "renovation" has fallen through.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »
My bride and I visited the Adirondacks this weekend for a mini-break and we really enjoyed the pleasant temperatures (65 degrees high / 45 degrees low) while she hiked and I played a few rounds of golf. My first few rounds were at my old stomping grounds, Malone Golf Club, on their East and West Courses, and my last round was Lake Placid Club's Links Course which I previously posted about in this thread.

I was able to play two courses that I've either driven by countless times (Cobble Hill in Elizabethtown) or read about (Westport).

Westport was fantastic. It has some tremendous terrain for a golf course...certainly among the best terrain I have played on this year to date. It's been reported to have been built in 1898 by Thomas Winton. Their former PGA Professional (he sadly passed away this year) believed Willie Park Jr., who Winton worked for, was involved with at least nine holes, but I am unsure if there was any documentation to back that up. The course is routed very well across the land and requires strategy and skill to shoot a very good score, but it is also fairly wide open and provides golfers with plenty of recovery options. The course played very firm and fast, which was a ton of fun and really forced you to think about how you wanted to try to shape your shots or where to land your golf ball.

I have posted a few photos from my round there this past Saturday below.

Westport - No. 3 tee

Westport - No. 6 approach

Westport - No. 7 approach

Westport - No. 7 green

Westport - No. 8 green

Westport - No. 15 approach

Westport - No. 16 green

Westport - No. 17 green

Westport - No. 18 approach

Westport - Clubhouse

Bonus: Westport uses a flock of sheep to help maintain its rough! Here is a video I took of the flock, located in between hole Nos. 11 and 14: Click here to watch. I have also included a picture below.

As I previously mentioned, I have driven by the Cobble Hill course many times while I lived and worked in the North Country. It looked fairly simple from the road and had not heard much about it, so my expectations were fairly modest. The first thing that surprised me after I determined which day I was to play Cobble Hill was its age: built in 1896! I was not aware it was anywhere close to being that old. I haven't been able to determine who may have built it, so maybe someone on this site has that knowledge they could share. I did read that a gentleman by the name of Dermont E. Mine was their first pro, so it's possible he may have been responsible, but again, I cannot be sure. As for the course itself, I enjoyed it! There aren't too many doglegs, so it doesn't require a ton of strategy off the tee, but the greens were pretty solid, particularly No. 6 green, which plays very much like a Redan approach. There's a fair amount of "quirk" on the course, which I appreciate, most notably the approach to the par-5 fourth hole. There is also some extreme elevation changes, like on No. 4 and No. 7. I would be curious if those back tee boxes way up on the hills were always part of the course, or were added later. I would suspect the latter. It is certainly a course I wouldn't mind playing often, especially for the value: $14 to push for nine holes on a Saturday afternoon...pretty solid! Select photos from my round are below.

Cobble Hill - No. 1 tee

Cobble Hill - No. 4 approach

Cobble Hill - No. 6 approach

Cobble Hill - No. 6 green (seen from No. 5 tee)

Cobble Hill - No. 7 tee

Cobble Hill - No. 9 green

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:38:59 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Tim Martin

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
Both courses look like a lot of fun to play with some great landforms. Thanks for the pictures!

MCirba

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
Great stuff, Matt!  Thanks for sharing.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2022, 05:09:16 AM »
Matt,

Thanks for this thread. It has been a great reference for this July 4th trip. I basically stayed local to Lake Placid and agreed with all your comments about the 45 holes at LP Club. Similar to Jon Cavalier's fondness, the Links course at LPC has enormous potential with just some better conditioning. Sitting out away from the resort, it really feels like an Adirondack adventure. It has "Arble Potential" for sure. Obviously with a short season and some catchup from the past two seasons, it is difficult for the courses to have great conditioning.

I did a quick 9 last night at Seneca Lake GC - 9 holer on the road to Seneca Lake, and it was great fun. Seymour Dunn is now the most underrated "Old Dead Guy" for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Dunn Hope to get to Westport, Craig Wood, and Seneca Inn next trip.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 05:12:45 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2022, 10:40:32 AM »
I'm happy to hear that, Mike! I hope others continue to add to this thread to include courses that haven't been discussed yet too!

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2022, 09:33:52 AM »
Really enjoy Teugega and Yahnundasis. I look forward to playing the Yahnundasis after the restoration work is completed.

Another course that I enjoy when up there - I spend 3-4 weeks in the summer - is Thendara, located in Old Forge. A tale of two nines: a relatively open Donald Ross front nine and a tree laden back nine with a number of holes that run along the Moose River.

I also play Inlet (located in Inlet), which is very quirky and fun - worth a play (IMO) if you have time.

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2022, 05:40:37 PM »
I recently played several courses in the Adirondacks: Teugega, Inlet, Thendara, Nick Stoner, Alder Creek, and Holland Creek.

Inlet was by far the most disappointing of the courses on this trip.  Yes, it says is was built in the 20's, but beyond holes 1, 2 and 9, it was quite bland.  The greens were the most disappointing for a course of that era.   There are much much better courses in the Adirondacks.

Nick Stoner was the exact opposite and one of my favorite hidden gem courses.   Course has some unique 1920s / 30s greens some great land movement and that rugged Adirondack / New England charm.

Teugega / Thendara make me wonder how many Rosss courses out there have bastardized their greens.  Several of the greens on these courses have to be seen to be believed.

Chris

Dan Boerger

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2022, 09:25:11 PM »
Chris - Where was the pin on #9 at Thendara? That and #7 are two of the craziest greens I've ever played.

Also, I think #7 and #10 at Inlet are solid. #12 and #17 are nearly unplayable at times.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2022, 10:10:34 PM »
Chris - Where was the pin on #9 at Thendara? That and #7 are two of the craziest greens I've ever played.

Also, I think #7 and #10 at Inlet are solid. #12 and #17 are nearly unplayable at times.

At Thendara, I need to check my photos to confirm, but the pin on 9 was up top on the back half.

I wanted to like Inlet, but it was a big let down.  I walked and many of the holes seemed to blend together.  I remember more of the 9 hole Cornish course than the 18 hole Inlet course.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back