News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Are Green Committees a waste of time?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »

Our British agronomist told me that a Greens Committee should always have an uneven number of members. And as a general rule, three are to many.

That line (which is a good one) originates from the golf architect Don Harradine.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

SL_Solow

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »
Adam,

That is a great line but it only works with the right chairman.  In our town we have a course that some magazines rate highly.  It is owned by a wonderful wealthy and quite charitable individual.  it is maintained to the highest standard.  The owner and greens chair (the same) believe that  a good golf course must be extremely difficult so all decisions appear to be motivated by that mantra.  Most folks don't think its much fun and find many of the holes to be contrived.  But note, a committee of 1.  Its all about the execution.

John Blain

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
I believe the proper name is "green" committee or "green" chairman, no? I could be wrong but I always thought using the word "greens" simply meant only the putting greens whereas "green" refers to the entire golf course.

SL_Solow

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
In the states, we often use the term "grounds and greens" or "grounds"  as the committee usually supervises the entire property.  Green or greensare also used.

BHoover

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »
I believe the proper name is "green" committee or "green" chairman, no? I could be wrong but I always thought using the word "greens" simply meant only the putting greens whereas "green" refers to the entire golf course.

I too have often pondered this question. It has kept me up nights, that's the honest truth.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »

I've dealt with them for close to thirty years and served for two.

A couple of quick observations:

1. They set budgets and expectations, so they do have a use.

They should only meet once a year to go over budgets and expectations. Then meet a year later and judge the results. In my experience golf superintendents are generally excellent at communication, they need to communicate directly to the members to avoid their information getting edited or altered for political reasons. Unfortunately members are generally apathetic when it comes to reading those communications.

2. If they micromanage, they are destructive.

While there are still clubs that are far too hands on for their own good, I find the majority let the professionals do what they need to do. While some here are very quick to throw them under the bus, I find my frustrations generally come with a few isolated individuals.
-

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
You are correct and Tillinghast wrote an article on this that is in one of the books. My club switched to Grunds committee a few years ago.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
Some interesting thoughts shared here.  Thank you for the feedback.  Seems like nearly half of you agree with me, and the other half want more member input.  IMHO, member input has done too much damage for too long.

And yes....   It is "Green" Committee. 

TS

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
There is no "correct answer" here except "it depends"....

At a GOLF CLUB, there is not a great need for a green committee provided you have a) a talented superintendent and b) a relationship with a retained GCA.

However, at a family COUNTRY CLUB, they do serve a purpose as much as it can be debated how much that purpose really has impact and benefit.

Primarily, the committee needs to oversee and be mindful of the budget.
Second, as the GM at the club is usually a "hospitality professional" to whom the super generally reports, the committee can assist the GM with golf course issues.

Third, and most common, the committee serves as ambassadors to the membership fielding questions, discussing initiatives and bringing member feedback to meetings. They may be mostly impotent as the board usually does what it wants and uses the green committee as a window dressing component to create the perception of transparency.

"Our committee reflects the diversity here at Whispering Pines CC. We have a junior member, two low handicappers, a club champion, the ladies golf chair, two legacy members, two seniors (male and female) and a board liason."

With the GM, the head pro, the super and the chair, you now have a "bake sale committee" most common at many clubs. Meetings consist of the super giving a course OV, a review of member complaints and issues, a debate about "those trees on #16" and a rant about why there aren't more ball washers on course. Adjourn until the next one....rinse, repeat.

If you have a talented and passionate super with a working relationship with a retained GCA, the committee just needs to get out of the way and empower the process of the professionals. You know you have a club problem when your green committee is way too active and micro-manages the process. That's a sign of weak club leadership and usually indicative that you have a personnel issue.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:26:46 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Steve Okula

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »
Greens committees aren't necessarily concerned with architecture. In my regular meetings, there is little discussion pertaining to the design of the course or any requests for changes therein.

My members are mainly worried about green speed, for which they hold a passionate devotion, and other maintenance matters, like fairway turf density, tee divots, bunker raking on weekends and the like.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »
Greens committees aren't necessarily concerned with architecture. In my regular meetings, there is little discussion pertaining to the design of the course or any requests for changes therein.

My members are mainly worried about green speed, for which they hold a passionate devotion, and other maintenance matters, like fairway turf density, tee divots, bunker raking on weekends and the like.

Agree. MOST clubs' committees are not concerned as most clubs are not concerned. However, if they wish to be relevant and protect their business models in the future, their BOD's should be concerned and thus compose a committee that actually pays attention to it.

But, like has been said, IF you have a super that is in front of GCA issues, then the memberships is quite fortunate. Sounds like your course in France is lucky!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back