News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Bernard Darwin on The Lido
« on: December 25, 2003, 07:06:27 PM »
My lovely wife gave me a copy of the new edition of "Bernard Darwin on Golf," and a fine volume it is.  Herbert Warren Wind wrote in "Following Through" that Darwin was the best golf writer ever; great praise from the greatest himself!

Here's Darwin on The Lido, from their trip for the 1922 Walker Cup at NGLA:

"Lido struck me as on the whole the most difficult course I had ever seen.  As most people know, it was made under the eye of Mr. C. B. MacDonald out of a piece of perfectly flat marshy land near the sea.  The sea sand was sucked up by gigantic engines which I cannot describe, and spread in waving layers upon the marsh.  On it were grown turf and bents, and thus there arose a great seaside course oon the most magnificent scale.  Next door to it can be seen the original marshy country, and the contrast is wonderful.  Unfortunately mosquitoes live in the original marsh and do not fully realize that they are not supposed to live on the reformed marsh also.  It was amusing to find in the last hole one to which I had originally given a prize.  Mr. Macdonald offered through Country Life some prizes for the best designs of holes of various lengths.  Mr Horace Hutchinson, Mr Fowler and I were the judges, and we gave the prize to a design of Dr. MacKenzie's, and now I saw the hole in actual being as the eighteenth hole at the Lido.  A very good one it was and uncommonly difficult.
    Whether the Lido is really more difficult than Pine Valley I am not sure.  We made a raid on Philadelphia to see that famous course, stayed a night there and played in a competition which none of us won.  Personally I did rather well until I got to the eighth hole, where there is a very small green entirely surrounded by a wilderness of sand.  I think my score was an average of fours until I reached it and I never finished it.  The other day an American friend sent me a photograph of it.  When I look at it my surprise is not that I did not hole out, but that anyone else has ever done so!"

Well enough.  Needless to say there is a lot more great writing and wonderful observation of golf in the early part of the century on both sides of the Atlantic.

During the Walker Cup, which Darwin played in as a substitute (he was there to cover the match and somebody took ill), he defeated Mr. Fownes of Oakmont 2 and 1 at NGLA after losing the first three holes!

Anybody have any more good Bernard Darwin stories?

Bob_Huntley

Re:Bernard Darwin on The Lido
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 07:28:06 PM »
Bernard Darwin was sitting in the Big Room  at the R&A when a chap entered, wearing a neck-tie of some hideously glaring hues. Darwin walked over to him and said,  "My dear chap is that your school tie or your own unfortunate choice of colors."

He could be brutal, but never more so than to himself after a foozled shot.  

Matthew Mollica

Re: Bernard Darwin on The Lido
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »
*BUMP*

Praise from HWW, an interesting Darwin quote on Lido, and an entertaining story including the R&A and Darwin from Mr. Huntley. What's not to love.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
Matthew, I have to say I was surprised that there were so few who posted stories about the great Bernardo.  I sat in his chair at Rye and got a tingle.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
I thought " Oh my God, Bill started a topic".
AKA Mayday

Tim Gallant

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 04:02:45 AM »
This isn't a story of Bernard Darwin as such, but as I prepare for my foursomes match on Sunday coming, I reread this little anecdote. Taken from The Golf Courses of the British Isles:

[Speaking of Cassiobury Park] Even the most confirmed tree-hater, however, might find his heart softening, because these particular trees are so very lovely. There are the most glorious avenues, elms and limes and chestnuts and beeches, that stretch across the park, and a fine day at Cassiobury comes within measurable distance of heaven. It is even beautiful on a wet day, and the last day that I spent there was wet, quite beyond the ordinary. I remember it very well from the circumstance of having to wade breast high into drenching nettles after a ball which my wretched partner had put there. This occurred at the third hole - a hole which is rather a remarkable one in itself, and was never more remarkably played than on that occasion.

The green can be reached easily enough with one honest blow, but there is a huge tree immediately to the right of the green, and a still more huge and infintely more alarming pit immediately under the tee. The pit is very deep and its sides precipitous, and it is altogether a very tough affair. Our opponents drove off, I remember, and perpetrated an ordindary 'fluff' or foozle, which left the ball on grass, it is true, but at the very bottom of the pit.

'Now,' said I to my partner, no doubt foolishly, 'here is our chance.' By way of answer he struck the ball violently on some portion of the club that lay far behind the heel. The ball dashed away at terrific pace in the direction of square leg, came into collision with the branch of a tree some fifty yards off the line, whence it bounded back into the bed of nettles before mentioned. By some miracle the ball was dislodged from the nettles, and joined its fellow at the bottom of the pit. Then began a game the object of which an intelligent foreigner would probably have imagined to be the hitting of the ball up the bank in such a way as it should roll down exactly to the place whence it started. Ultimately, for I must pass over the intervening events, I missed a short putt to win the hole in eight.

I am laughing as I type this story. If only I could have played a match with Mr. Darwin. I did get a chance to play Rye and sit in his seat as the sun shown high on my back. I can think of no better place to have a drink and recount the events the unfolded on the links in the preceding hours.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
I thought " Oh my God, Bill started a topic".

I started quite a few in the old days...when I were a younger man
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:24:52 PM by Bill_McBride »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
Aye Bill in the exuberance of youth eh!!!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
Aye Bill in the exuberance of youth eh!!!

Cheers Colin

Aye!  👍👍

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back