News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

:( New
« on: March 29, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
ideas, please

life is good

thank you
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:01:56 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Pete Lavallee

Re: Kings Putter 2018?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
Good question!

We have pretty much exhausted the public options in Ca., although I would always be up for a replay of a Rustic Canyon & Soule Park event.

We have had members of privates Clubs step up and host; Bob Huntley hosting 4 groups at MPCC comes immediately to mind. Also Gray was gracious enough to host us last year at ECC. Neal M. had us out at San Louis Obispo CC, with Garland's buddy having us out at Santa Maria CC one year. I don't know if former gca'er Peter Wagner is available to have us see the updates to Sherwood CC?

We do have a handful of gca members at Olympic Club, perhaps they can step up to the plate and have a small group out?

On the public side how about an outing in Bend Or.? We could play Juniper, Tetherow and Sunriver?

An Az. outing might attract a crowd in the winter months, the stay and play package at Fort MacDowell is attractive with the two courses at We Ko Pa.

Also Greg Tallman indicated he would host an event in Cabo; pricey but very tempting!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

William_G

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
We Ko Pa and Talking Stick and Top Golf    8) 8)
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
lots of courses in Las Vegas that are accessible
It's all about the golf!

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »
I second the Arizona idea, lots of options to play, easy to get to from anywhere in the US and great after golf options as well.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
One of the reasons the Kings Putter lost its luster is because it became a quasi rater outing. There is not a reason in the world for a guy to go through the trouble of setting up an event at his club only to have two lines form at the counter. It is humiliating for everyone involved. Set up an event, have everyone pay the same and stop the back room dealings.

Rick Emerson

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
Does the King's Putter have to always be somewhere different. It doesn't seem there is a location much better than where Grey arranged for it this year. The only thing that could be better is if you had it on multiple courses on the Monterey Peninsula. However, that woulld most likely not be public and require members to really help. I think the talk about a San Francisco Kings Putter also sounds good from a selfish perspective because I like excuses to go see friends who live there. There are also a plethora of good courses, but again, many private. What are the criteria you look for in a King's Putter venue?

William_G

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
One of the reasons the Kings Putter lost its luster is because it became a quasi rater outing. There is not a reason in the world for a guy to go through the trouble of setting up an event at his club only to have two lines form at the counter. It is humiliating for everyone involved. Set up an event, have everyone pay the same and stop the back room dealings.

Which rater outing would you compare it to please?

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
Please keep LA area in the running - I can think of a scenario where a King's Putter is arranged that includes 3 Doak5/6's, and 2 Doak 7's (Rustic + another). Don't want to speculate wildly as nothing has been discussed with the courses/clubs and this is a public forum.

It also may depend on how large of a group we have.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »

Which rater outing would you compare it to please?

Thanks

The first Kings Putter at Barona had one line for raters and one for the rest of us. Our recent outing at Hilton Head had a last second private course included that was free for raters and full price for the rest of us. Your current outing at Bandon is pay as you go which only leads to speculation. We are supposed to be friends here. That to me would mean that we are all equal and all pay the same. It is simply humiliating for me to be singled out in a group as the guy who isn't in a class so special that a course feels the need to comp me to play. i.e. The smart kids and the rubes who pay their way. It's far more than the money, it's being treated as a second class citizen. I would never do that to someone I consider a friend. i'm too old for this school yard bullshit. Sorry.

The courses who are so kind to host this group also don't want to comp any single one of us. They pay the bribe and keep their mouth shut because that is what victims do. Maybe I'm the only one offended by this practice but the numbers seem to prove different.

No doubt the 5th Major is the most popular event on this site. There even the members pay the same as everyone else.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »

I'm still interested in playing a KP down south. Skipping this year because I need to use a cart. Dec, Jan,  Feb, early Mar fine with me as the PNW weather is not longer congenial for golf. We have had a full year's worth of precip since 10/1 and the courses are still, at best, mucky.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:07:02 PM »

I didn't realize that the recent outing at Hilton Head was a King's Putter
Fairly confident that no one is getting special rates at Bandon, especially is the Arnold Palmer paying green fees is true.

A summer trip to central Oregon, not as a King's Putter, would be very interesting. At least a dozen courses, with a wide variety of architects awaits when you consider Sisters, Redmond. Bend, Sunriver. The only hard get would be Pronghorn-Fazio.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:21:00 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »
I think GeoffShac and Tommy N should set up something at LACC.  North course one day, South the next!

Once LACC steps up it will be easier to convince Bel Air to go along.

More realistically, how about Lincoln Park, Harding, and Sharp Park?  Or John Ashworth's place in Oceanside?  Raters won't even bother with them, but they'd be great venues for matches.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 10:47:32 PM »
Tommy N still have a computer? Since he couldn't find the time to come on here and say a nice word about Huntley I thought maybe he was off the grid. I'll give the guy credit, nobody massages rater visits like him. He played who got on Friars Head like a monk kneading dough. Perfect loaf every time.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »
Kavanaugh - we missed you at "the private club" on our Hilton Head trip. Did you dodge the snow in Tennessee? The club was very disappointed that you guys didn't show after they made special arrangements to provide you the opportunity to play.

Your outrage over a few raters being comped surprises me. As much as you like to spend money I would think you might take great pride in paying full boat for something in the midst of others being hosted... wouldn't it give you that inner glow you so enjoy?  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 02:50:56 AM »
That snow saved my ass. I'm sorry if the club missed out on our revenue. I guess their membership will have to subsidize your play. Hope they make the list of their dreams!!!

William_G

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
I think GeoffShac and Tommy N should set up something at LACC.  North course one day, South the next!

Once LACC steps up it will be easier to convince Bel Air to go along.

More realistically, how about Lincoln Park, Harding, and Sharp Park?  Or John Ashworth's place in Oceanside?  Raters won't even bother with them, but they'd be great venues for matches.

+1 Lincoln, Harding, Sharp, Gleneagles, Tilden
It's all about the golf!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
The first Kings Putter at Barona had one line for raters and one for the rest of us.

Wow that's a long time to hold a grudge! I thought for sure you were searching for greater tolerance at St. Patrick's that Sunday afternoon.

Sadly or happily, the days of 2 lines at the KP are long gone. The Rater crowd has long ago abandoned us; the 16 participants this year is the best turn out we've had in many a moon.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Eric Smith

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
Kavanaugh - we missed you at "the private club" on our Hilton Head trip. Did you dodge the snow in Tennessee? The club was very disappointed that you guys didn't show after they made special arrangements to provide you the opportunity to play.

That was my call, Mike. Not John's or Brian's or Jonathan's. I apologized to Gary and later to you. Don't know what else there is to say. Cheers

William_G

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
buzzkill anyone?

have a great day, if you want to

WTF
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
William,

The fact is most GCA outings have become poorly attended. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I chose this thread to do it because a venue or date has not been picked.

Wherever you choose to play Kings Putter 2018 I will attend simply if it is completely transparent that everyone attending will be paying the exact same. I honestly don't see why this is a problem.

Take a look at this amazing outing that is currently empty at Whistling Straits. That thing should have filled up the first day.

btw: I don't need to want to have a great day, it's on. Just got the best news in years.

William_G

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:51 PM »

btw: I don't need to want to have a great day, it's on. Just got the best news in years.

you missed the point, having a great day is an attitude, not a result of news
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »

Do you have children? You can't attitude some of that shit good.

JJShanley

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »

Do you have children? You can't attitude some of that shit good.

The Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle has a joke that goes something like this:
"They tell us to take setbacks with our children, to use them as positive moments that they can grow from.  Not always possible.  Sometimes you can't say anything other than 'You have shat on my rug.  And I see no upside here.'"

William_G

Re: Kings Putter 2018? New
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
William,

The fact is most GCA outings have become poorly attended. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I chose this thread to do it because a venue or date has not been picked.

Wherever you choose to play Kings Putter 2018 I will attend simply if it is completely transparent that everyone attending will be paying the exact same. I honestly don't see why this is a problem.

Take a look at this amazing outing that is currently empty at Whistling Straits. That thing should have filled up the first day.

I won't be running the 18 version, but I'm sure you will be paying more, LOL

how you respond to adversity is how we are judged as we all have adversity, just like golf

happiness is a choice

why would anyone want you to attend anything?

please get back on topic, or don't comment, or start a new thread, or start another event, do something,  please

thanks
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:01:35 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back