News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Would you jump from a second floor balcony if...
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »
I see it now - I'm standing before St. Peter:   "Mike, it says here you taught adult Sunday school for 25 years" as I smile smugly.  "Oops, also says you were a golf course rater for a major publication for 13 years."  At this point I'm not even paying attention, until St. Pete says, "Nice Try."

I then faintly here the voice of Bob Huntley in the distance:  "What a pity."

Damn.

Bogey
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:14:12 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »
But just then, Bogey, a voice from off in the corner chimes in - it's St John:

"Ah, Peter -- stop messing around, will you?"

Peter snickers quietly, but then gathers himself up and, with an air of seriousness:

"Listen, I'll let *golfers* in, sure, but I'll be damned if I start letting in *raters*" 1

"Oh, really", St John replies", "Well who died and made *you* boss?" 2

Peter

A joke in what I hope is not poor taste 1
A joke for my Protestant brethren 2

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:23:26 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
Rater hate is so 0010's. We currently have a new much more dangerous set of enemies.

From the fried toad to the never eat lunch boys we are under attack. Problem is, people are listening now on a day to day basis.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
Moderator, please delete........................
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »
I'd choose option D.  I'd jump if all raters golden tickets were dissolved and no golf course allowed them on their course.  That's reason to jump for everyone would pay their fair share.

Am I the only one wondering if Ben got a letter recently from Dr. Klein that started with "I regret" as opposed to "Congratulations"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 05:37:31 PM »
I'd choose option D.  I'd jump if all raters golden tickets were dissolved and no golf course allowed them on their course.  That's reason to jump for everyone would pay their fair share.

Am I the only one wondering if Ben got a letter recently from Dr. Klein that started with "I regret" as opposed to "Congratulations"

I thought the only rejection note one receives now comes marked "insufficient funds".

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »

From the fried toad to the never eat lunch boys we are under attack.

I think I understand the lunch reference, but you lost me on "fried toad". Please explain.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

BCowan

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »

I think I understand the lunch reference, but you lost me on "fried toad". Please explain.

fried Toad is an analogy for Fried Egg?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:33:22 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »

Bruce,

Not the case.  Access has never been an issue for me and I pay my way in life.  I'm very content playing Doak 5's and 6's and wouldn't sell my mother down the river to play a Doak 9 or 10 like some on here would.  I don't think it's good supporting a racquet either.  I had a walking gathering in the past and a rater pulled the card on the pro for $55 or $60 green fee.  When a club is kind enough to give you tee times on a weekend for such a small fee its disrespectful to ask for a discount.  Since then we have done pre pay to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen.   Prior recent threads raters have expressed grievance with clubs asking for guest fees as if ALL of us don't pay travel costs and arrive on a magic carpet.  The folly is that these cats actually think they are like a profession and or important.  Just like anything in life there are good guys that are raters.  I meet Brad last year when he was in the D.  I seldom follow, I prefer to lead.  Rather focus on Golf in my community and State. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »
I'm sure there are a few good raters but for the most part they remind me of the far right Christian preachers ( and I'm a Methodist) who weigh in a 400 pounds from gluttony ( mainly fried chicken), they pork choir directors and keep the offering. Drive Cadillacs with pinky rings on their fingers.   They have following that actually thinks they are educated ministers.  Most have zero clue.  They just give religion a bad name....    can you not see this in the ratng game?   Of course the only thing worse is the really cool raters who turn their nose at the other raters because they were once on a USGA or state golf assoc committee or something...those are just your dime a dozen slapdicks and I can live with them. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »

fried Toad is an analogy for Fried Egg.

To give credit where credit is due: https://toadvalleygolfcourse.com/oops-this-content-is-members-only/ one of the finest blogs in the business.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 04:26:29 AM »
Ben I like the Surrey heathland club that welcomes raters with open arms then charges them full greenfee on arrival, they should install a webcam for our entertainment!

One of my clubs now only comps published golf writers so we get revenue from the bulk of "raters".
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
John K

I'd jump out of any 2nd floor window if a bouncy castle was lying below.

Mark C

Thanks for the tip.  I'll remember to carry a copy of one of my published writings next time I want to be comped (which will be never).

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back