News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Brora GC Looking For New Members
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
"The club is also offering a Highland Membership. Any members of another Highland golf club can make Brora their second club for £175 a year. This will allow them full playing privileges at the club, including the ability to sign guests on for member-guest rates, access to club competitions, including the club championship and members’ rates for open competitions."

A transparent move to poach members from other clubs.

I'm beginning to see this sort of thing happen in more urban areas too.

The gloves are coming off in the battle for survival.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
"A transparent move to poach members from other clubs."

Duncan -

I don't think that is the case at all. It is not uncommon for golfers in the Highlands to belong to a 2nd club and most of the clubs in the area do offer this feature.

The clubs in the Highlands also offer a reciprocal feature that allows for 3 round a year at each club at the guest of member rate.

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

I am not sure how many new members they will get but it is a great deal. If they were a little closer I would consider it myself. Where many clubs are struggling is a double whammy of lower membership numbers and diminishing greenfees revenue as online booking sites destroy the market for them.

Jon

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
Jon -

Are there online booking sites now handling courses north of Inverness?

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

Yes David, several. I was talking with the captain of one such course last month who was lamenting the club signing such a deal. Apparently, they listened to the blurb about how wonder it would be and signed up for 3 seasons without really thinking it through. Last season they experienced a substantial decrease in GF takings though number of visitors was slightly up.

Jon

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:21:08 PM »
I agree that it isn't a poaching scheme, people up this way are loyal and it would be used as a second course.
 It would be the first to open up the second course option at a reduced fee which I can see working.
The most interesting thing is trying to attract back players as there are many who have given up/got out of the habit.
 In such small communities former players seems like an obvious target group, worthy of an attempt to try and bring them back.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »
Thanks to you, David, grand memories of that great course are still a picture in my mind.

Thanks GCA, too !

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »
Nice video flyover, including a quick look at the Peter Thomson Room. Just be sure to turn the music down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkjkhzMSGbQ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back