News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Tell me about a time when architecture knowledge won you a hole
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »
Also I would vehemently argue that if you understand architecture you have much more likely chance to play well the first time around a golf course by being able to look at a hole and understand the strategy.
I think this would be my answer… I cannot think of a specific time (I rarely play "matches"), but I know I've stood on the tee of a new hole and used what I know of gca to sort of "figure out" what the strategy was: what the architect was trying to goad me into doing, what the safe play was, what types of shots might be required… what bunkers were more for show than strategic/penal/etc.

More, though, what little understanding of gca that I have makes me appreciate the holes I play more so, and thus appreciate and enjoy my golf more.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
While caddying for a friend at mount Bruno near Montréal...

My understanding of architecture, angle, grades and slopes.. i guided my friend through the course, switching club selection, defining landing spots on approaches...

Gave him 4-5 shots that allowed him to tie the match. Had he not bogeyed the last three holes in a row from inside 100 yards (poor wedges) would have been easy win

James Brown

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »
Playing 15 and North Berwick (for the second time and much more informed) with the wind over my right shoulder from 178 yards, I hit a flat out 150 yard shot knowing how much it would release.  Hit it to a foot.  Probably my best example of using knowledge in that way. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
I certainly can tell when lack of knowledge caused great disappointment. I played PH2 back in 2005 right after the U S Open and well before I had any real appreciation of architecture. On number 10 playing from the regular tees, I hit a 3 iron that rolled over the back. I was pretty pumped because reaching even a short Par 5 in two was not a regular occurrence. The caddy immediately said, "You are dead." Yep, made a double even after hitting a good chip and good bunker shot. And this was not just a failure of not knowing the hole; it was a failure of not understanding Ross.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
Ira, that reminds me of one example I had on the same hole. After missing long on 10 at No. 2, my read of the architecture of the green enabled me to flip a 60 degree wedge up in the air, land it softly, let it trickle just to the right, and into the hole for a birdie to win the hole and move to red numbers for the day.

When I tell people about how I walked to the 11th tee at No. 2 sitting at 1-under on the round, they're usually impressed. I don't mention what happened to my score over the remaining 17 holes.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »
Jason, LOL re the other 17. But first, I would take -1 anytime during a round. And second, I have come to learn the hard way that understanding a Ross course and executing are far different. I know that bailing short right on Number 9 at Pine Needles is plain stupid just as is bailing left at Number 12 at Mid Pines, but alas I do both all of the time.

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:08 PM »
Like John's example, I think it helps most on a mediocre new course.  You can usually guess what a hole will do even if you cannot see it. 

Hitting good shots is much more helpful to winning golf holes. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back