News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Davidson

Re: Alfred Williams | Maplewood Country Club (NJ)
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Also here are some aerials of Maplewood:

1931:

1954:

2012:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:53:24 PM by Mike Davidson »

Mike Davidson

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »
Apologies, some of the pictures are getting posted very large in here, I am not sure how to reduce them.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »
Apologies, some of the pictures are getting posted very large in here, I am not sure how to reduce them.

Check your PMs Mike to learn how to make your big pictures 'fit' and have them be clickable to a big size.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Like this Mike (hit reply to this message, click on the arrow icon with the red brackets, then study how I used the image tags).

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Davidson

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
Thanks Joe!  I got it, going to go back and fix everything now!

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
Mike,

The last article you posted mentions a present club house. Do you know the location of the original club house? 

I think the statement of the 14 acres the club now held title to was only to differentiate it from the land the golf course was located on. The land for the golf course may have been acquired by lease or mortgage? The article makes it sound like they had acquired enough land for an 18 hole course which was scheduled to open on Memorial Day 1922.

Sven cites his Al Williams article on the Willie Park Jr. thread from August 22, 1922.  Perhaps this article contains information on all 18 holes?  The article wasn't posted in the thread, so I don't know exactly what it says. 

Researching stories on Linwood Country Club may help your search too.  If Al Williams built a second nine holes at Maplewood, it most likely would have been around the same time or just after he worked at Linwood.  There was a quote of: "Harry W. Williams, who has been the pro at Galen Hall links, will go to the new Linwood Country Club at Linwood, near Atlantic City, after the first of the year" from The Evening Public Ledger-December 28, 1920.  Linwood opened their first five holes in March of 1921.  I wonder if this was Al's brother?  The story from Hartford mentioned he had a brother in the business.

Bret

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »
Interestingly, I've seen Harry Williams co-credited with Alex Findlay as being responsible for the  first nine hole course at Galen Hall.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Davidson

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
Waking this thread back up.  I am still working towards finding more information on the club, specifically trying to find anything about when the second nine holes was built.

Mike Davidson

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
Alfred Williams was the greens keeper at both Garden City Golf Club and Hartford Golf Club and so I wonder if there is any link to be found between Maplewood and Deveraux Emmet.  I know that the Maplewood course was built between 1919(first 9, Alfred Williams) and 1920-1922(second 9).  Emmet is credited with multiple NY/NJ courses from 1919-1923 if my research is correct so he was generally in the area. 

Unfortunately information on Maplewood is tough to find especially regarding the second 9.  I found club minutes from 1903-1980 and while the course is mentioned, details are sparse and an architect is not.  Many times the golf committee meeting notes are mentioned which would most likely have all of my answers but I doubt they exist anywhere at this point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back