News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: OT - Best Newer Clubhouses
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
I like Windsong Farm's.

It fits its setting. And it fits its club's membership, from what I can tell.

Jason Topp no doubt has some pictures.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

DFarron

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
A couple in my travels:

Ardglass - oldest clubhouse in the world.  Feels like you are walking into a medieval castle.  Great small bar and patio overlooking the first tee.

Scioto - it has a great low key grill room on one end and the pool bar on the other end.  In between, a barber shop, laundry service and a lot of history. 

Martis Camp - great western clubhose with a great grill room overlooking the 18th green.  I have seen fancier, but none that were as tastefully done.

Scioto club house reeks with class....simple, homey and a great vibe!

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Gozzer Ranch's new one is fantastic.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »
The architects of Tara Iti did a write up with some photos.

http://cheshirearchitects.com/projects/tara-iti-clubhouse/

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »

It depends what the function of the clubhouse is supposed to be. I would suggest that a Wick's very simple newish clubhouse fits the bill very nicely at an affordable price.

Jon

MClutterbuck

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »
The architects of Tara Iti did a write up with some photos.

http://cheshirearchitects.com/projects/tara-iti-clubhouse/

Very interesting!

Peter Flory

Re: OT - Best New Clubhouses
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »
I haven't been, but a colleague of mine was at the new Bighorn clubhouse and he said it was amazing.  $70 million!

Why so much money? Once you read about these features, you'll get the idea: The structure includes four "penthouses," ranging in size between 5,200 and 6,800 square feet—or about quadruple the size of your first apartment—sitting within the clubhouse to be used by members and their guests. The 80,000-square-foot clubhouse is built 1,000 feet above the floor of the valley to create ideal vistas of the desert, with interior and exterior travertine walls that were imported from Portugal and floors made with limestone imported from Peru.

Must be good to be rich.

And how did they get the total up to $70MM again?  I can't comprehend that. 

Daryl David

Re: OT - Best New Clubhouses
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 11:49:49 PM »
I haven't been, but a colleague of mine was at the new Bighorn clubhouse and he said it was amazing.  $70 million!

Why so much money? Once you read about these features, you'll get the idea: The structure includes four "penthouses," ranging in size between 5,200 and 6,800 square feet—or about quadruple the size of your first apartment—sitting within the clubhouse to be used by members and their guests. The 80,000-square-foot clubhouse is built 1,000 feet above the floor of the valley to create ideal vistas of the desert, with interior and exterior travertine walls that were imported from Portugal and floors made with limestone imported from Peru.

Must be good to be rich.

And how did they get the total up to $70MM again?  I can't comprehend that.

Peter, It sounds like you haven’t been inside it.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
The penthouses in Bighorn's new 70MM clubhouse are for sale. That's one way to reduce the cost:

https://www.bighorngolf.com/penthouse/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:35:34 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:26 AM »
I heard one of the significant costs was the foundation and needed accommodations to meet California building codes for such a unique building.  To pay for it I believe the dues are 3K a month, in addition to the community HOA which I believe probably subsidized some of this cost as well.  Also as Steve pointed out the 4 penthouses, which are really stunning, but wow you have no yard or anything, just the apartment and patio basically.  I don't know if they took a loan out, which I suspect they maybe had to, in addition perhaps an assessment to the members?

They also have this community car warehouse call The Vault which is quite over the top as well, like everything at Bighorn.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:08 AM »
From the photos I've seen I quite like the one at Askernish
atb

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 05:36:17 AM »
I like it when style and size of a clubhouse are in harmony with location and character of the golfcourse. The International, a newly build golf course in Amsterdam for instance (opened in 2014), is situated close to the main Dutch business center and the national airport. The urban character of this golfclub is nicely reflected in the contemporary architecture of the clubhouse and modernistic interior design: http://www.theinternational.nl/clubhouse/. Very well done in my opinion.

The Dutch, another brand new club in The Netherlands (btw with a very good golf course), is situated in open, unattractive land, surrounded by a high way and a railway track. They have a clubhouse in retro style, with tartan carpets on the floor, replica's of golf memorabilia and fake fire places. It's horrendous.   

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
I liked the clubhouse at PGA Catalunya outside Barcelona. The Stadium course I played wasn't anything special -- although they promote it as the #1 course in Spain -- but the clubhouse was an interesting modern building. This is the best photo I can find.

BCrosby

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »
I don't know if it counts as a "newer" clubhouse, but Chechessee Creek's simple, elegant, light-filled clubhouse is hard to top.

Bob

Daryl David

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »
To pay for it I believe the dues are 3K a month, in addition to the community HOA which I believe probably subsidized some of this cost as well.  I don't know if they took a loan out, which I suspect they maybe had to, in addition perhaps an assessment to the members?
They also have this community car warehouse call The Vault which is quite over the top as well, like everything at Bighorn.

A few corrections/answers
Dues didn’t pay for it. There was an assessment. Also, the dues are higher than your guess. The HOA dues do not subsidize the club facilities. They are totally separate entities. (Legal requirements) The Vault is a separate club with its own finances and costs to join.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
To pay for it I believe the dues are 3K a month, in addition to the community HOA which I believe probably subsidized some of this cost as well.  I don't know if they took a loan out, which I suspect they maybe had to, in addition perhaps an assessment to the members?

A few corrections/answers
Dues didn’t pay for it. There was an assessment. Also, the dues are higher than your guess. The HOA dues do not subsidize the club facilities. They are totally separate entities. (Legal requirements) The Vault is a separate club with its own finances and costs to join.

I certainly knew just 3k a month for dues wasn't going to pay for 70 million, however what I'm saying is that a portion of dues are typically set aside for capital projects and would assume went to a portion of the 70 million.  In addition to the initiation fees could have been used or a portion. The balance is your assessment, or that is how it would work at most clubs. Have to have xxxx amount in your capital projects fund as well as meet your reserve requirements.

I saw the video of the vault and it looks like a gearhead's paradise.  Several million dollars in cars there for sure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

MClutterbuck

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
May River has an incredible, though quite small, clubhouse. I would imagine that they don't get tons of play, so it works quite well. The open-air architecture fits perfectly into the landscape. I couldn't imagine anything else behind the green there on 18.

Great example Conley, thanks.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »
Cliffs Mountain Park has really neat rustic style  understated clubhouse. Probably less than 5000 feet with a wrap around porch overlooking course. Dining /Bar area has  nice golf courses views as well. Bigger not necessarily better!

Excellent!

Cal Seifert

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Not my favorite but defintiely a unique design

The Bridge, Bridgehampton NY

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back