News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Could 19 year old Joaquin be the jump start golf needs?
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »

There is  new kid in town and he has a foundation groomed to compete with the best. His confidents is incredible, he has a mature level head and a consistent game day to day. He may not win this weekend but don`t look for him to disappear with a 75 or two rounds over par. I think he has the possibility of being number one by the end of the year. If that happens and if he is able to dominates for a couple of years, there should be  lot of positive fallout. Anyways, it nice to see some Latin Americans shoot some good scores the last couple of weeks.

Cal Seifert

Re: Could 19 year old Joaquin be the jump start golf needs?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:31:05 PM »
Lets pump the brakes and not overhype every teenager who has a few good rounds in the start of his career... 

I remember watching him play the US AM at Riv and he was a great humble player.  Best of luck to him.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:00:07 AM »
Who says pro golf needs a jump-start?

The past two Open Championships have been two of the most memorable ever, as was the 2017 Masters.

This year’s Ryder Cup is one of the most hotly-anticipated ever due to two teams that are in the discussion for the best ever produced under both flags.

There’s a legitimate ensemble cast of great players: from phenoms under 25, to those 27-32 who need to really cement their legacy in the next few years, some wily old foxes either side of 40 who have a way of getting it done best when it matters and then the two best players of the past 25 years in form and hungry.

A Latin American teen dynamo is a welcome addition to the mix, but let’s not pretend the pro game is withering on the vine desperately waiting for him to resuscitate it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 06:12:43 AM »
Who says pro golf needs a jump-start?

The past two Open Championships have been two of the most memorable ever, as was the 2017 Masters.

This year’s Ryder Cup is one of the most hotly-anticipated ever due to two teams that are in the discussion for the best ever produced under both flags.

There’s a legitimate ensemble cast of great players: from phenoms under 25, to those 27-32 who need to really cement their legacy in the next few years, some wily old foxes either side of 40 who have a way of getting it done best when it matters and then the two best players of the past 25 years in form and hungry.

A Latin American teen dynamo is a welcome addition to the mix, but let’s not pretend the pro game is withering on the vine desperately waiting for him to resuscitate it.

+1
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
Agree completely with Scott Warren.
You guys who know the modern swing well: do you think Niemann's back can hold up over the long term? Looks like he puts a lot of stress on the lower back in particular as he moves through the ball. 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »
I was refering to the fact that the number of rounds being played have been declining for years now, new players declining, as well as new course openings declining and course closings on the increase. The problems are numerous and I don`t pretend a dominating player is going to make it all go away but I do feel there could be an indirect postive fallout as there has been in the past when Nicklaus or Tiger dominated.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »
Agree completely with Scott Warren.
You guys who know the modern swing well: do you think Niemann's back can hold up over the long term? Looks like he puts a lot of stress on the lower back in particular as he moves through the ball.

Jim

I saw the slow mo yesterday and it gave me a kink in my back just watching it.  No way that holds up long term, but if he's as good as everyone saying, then he can survive a swing redo, many of the greats have!!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
I'll second the "pump the brakes" talk.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »
Call me when ratings increase to him being on the leaderboard.  This is a nothing burger.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 03:50:07 AM »
Call me when ratings increase to him being on the leaderboard.  This is a nothing burger.

Playing devil's advocate, in South America it would be news.  There are other markets for golf and while Chile isn't a big one at all, in today's digital age and PGA Tour events being able to be streamed had Angel Cabrera came along 10-15 years later he would have tremendously helped the increased use of digital means of broadcast and accessibility.

Nobody cared about Yao Ming in the NBA (except over a billion Chinese) or Hideki Matsui (except all of Japan), which are markets in and of themselves.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joe Schackman

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
I was refering to the fact that the number of rounds being played have been declining for years now, new players declining, as well as new course openings declining and course closings on the increase. The problems are numerous and I don`t pretend a dominating player is going to make it all go away but I do feel there could be an indirect postive fallout as there has been in the past when Nicklaus or Tiger dominated.
I think the popularity of the professional game and the health of golf are two separate items. The "Tiger Boom" was really a bonanza for the professional game and TV networks.

It has been a while since I read this article but it makes an interesting argument that the boost in rounds  and subsequent decline of the was more about economics than Tiger. Also funny to read the opening now that Tiger is having a resurgence: https://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-golf-after-tiger-1621609188
Any bump from a popular player is probably more of an unsustainable boost to the game than any type of true organic growth for the sport. If golf really does feel like it has a problem it has to do more than wait around for the next big thing.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
To be young again....

How long can this swing hold up?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
No...as in NFW!

However, Mr. Woods is helping nicely:

http://www.sportingnews.com/golf/news/tiger-woods-nbc-sports-valspar-tournament-tv-ratings-up-190-percent-when-is-the-masters/17izlvxamfq801d4u2o9wqk1ma

Biggest non-major TV ratings in 5 years this past weekend.

2018 Masters viewership up 14% over 2017.

Joaquin who?
Oh, you mean Joaquin Advil?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
To be young again....

If the pants were plaid, swear it is Johnny Miller.  And if he starts to approach Miller's 2 majors and 20 something wins, then worth talking about his impact on the game.

Ira

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Even Johnny wasn't that bad....  Jaoquin's head is parallel to the ground in that finish....yikes!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:31 PM »
To be young again....

If the pants were plaid, swear it is Johnny Miller.  And if he starts to approach Miller's 2 majors and 20 something wins, then worth talking about his impact on the game.

Ira

I thought this was Danny Noonan......
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
I thought this was Danny Noonan......

LOL. Anyway, not sure how popular Niemann could become, but there are a lot of young popular players right now. Ratings aren't there unless Tiger is in contention. And hopefully we can separate golf tournament TV ratings from the market for golf courses and the number of rounds being played.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »
I don't like having to say this but if Tiger isn't playing or the event isn't a major I don't even see a golf shot on TV from Thursday through Sunday! That goes for many of my golfing friends. The other guys are obviously amazing talents but no one come close to moving the needle like Tiger. Even the new "super groups" which I happen to think is a bad idea can't hold our interest!

As for tour players jump starting golf? Unless they can lower the cost of buying equipment, green fees or joining a club while at the same time speeding up play......my guess would be NO is the simple answer.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »
Maybe we can get Joaquin o to go on to Love Island which would really boost his profile  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back