News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Nearest Course To You Which You Haven't Played.
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
I suspect this may generate some interesting responses and thoughts.

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private.
Approximately where do you live?
Why?
Who designed it?
What would the answer be if you played it your next round?
What's stopping you?

Also, if you've only been in your current location for under two years, how do these answers change with your previous address?

My answers:

Lake Morton Historic District, Lakeland, FL
Course: Shalamar Creek 2.8 miles away
Ron Garl
It's not particularly on my radar and I consistently forget about it.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Nearest Course To You Which You Haven't Played.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »
I live in Manhattan.

Private - Wykagyl in New Rochelle - http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/wykagyl-country-club/ Just have not done it, and the Coore and Crenshaw work makes me want to play it. They have lots of outings but prefer to play with a member and I don't know any directly.

Public - Dyker Beach in Brooklyn - My general rule for city courses is below 50 degrees or first out in the AM. Again just have not done it -http://www.dykerbeachgc.com/golf-tee-times

Staten Island - I have a romance with "ferry access" golf courses. I took the Staten Island Ferry recently and Silver Lake has a van that picks you up, so I need to give it a try - http://www.silverlakegolf.com
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:28:10 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
3 miles away are Archerfield(DJ Russell) and The Renaissance Club (Doak)  and 4 miles away is Muirfield .

Shamefully I've not played any them - Why? Combination of not finding the right dates with playing
partners who want to play there and not wanting to pay top dollar to play there solo.

Ian
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:18:27 AM by Ian Galbraith »

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
What?!?!   No Dyker For You, Sweeney??

You really need to get out more.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
What?!?!   No Dyker For You, Sweeney??

You really need to get out more.

I'm quite looking forward to your contribution on this thread.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Brad Engel

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »

Pleasant Ridge, Cincinnati, OH
Course: Losantiville Country Club 0.8 miles away
Tom Bendelow
Didn't know a member there until this past Fall when I found out that one of my high school buddies just joined. Hoping to check it out sometime this year.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
I live on the north side of the city of Chicago.

1. Private: have never played Bryn Mawr done by Langford/Moreau just 6 miles from my house. I would expect I would be complimentary of the Forse/Nagle work done there a few years ago. Nothing is stopping me from playing it, I guess.

2. Public: Jackson Park - the topic of recent a recent GCA thread as Tiger is said to be involved in a project to renovate it. It was designed by Tom Bendelow! I would expect that I would be impatient to finish the round in under 5 hours. 18 hole green fee of $25.69 - I swear that's true.

http://jacksonpark.cpdgolf.com/golf

Mike Schott

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:55 AM »
Private: Franklin Hills-5 miles away. Donald Ross. If I played it the next would be Oakland Hills. No access.

Public: Braeburn-about 15 miles away. Wilfrid Reid. I have played it but at least 25 years ago. I remember it has being a bit of a cow pasture at that time. Next would be Washtenaw Golf Club, recently turned public. Not sure of the designer, the website says "Donald Ross inspired". Haven't made the time to play it yet.

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
I deserve to be shot - growing up on in the west of Ireland & I have not played Waterville... that said living in Lahinch, its a long-ass (3 1/2 + hour) way to get down to Kerry. Plan to rectify in 2017!

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
I live in South Charlotte - I moved here approximately 18 months ago. 

I haven't played at TPC Piper Glen or Raintree CC, both of which are within a few hundred yards of my home.  I'm somewhat ambivalent about playing them.  The handful of invites I have received haven't been at convenient times, and neither seems to be a must play, although I hear they are both fine courses.

For my first year + in the area, I checked out as many of the local publics as I could (only going back to a couple that I really liked - the public options are underwhelming), and traveled to the Pinehurst area, the mountains, and elsewhere to seek out courses in which I was more interested.

Recently, I joined a club ~20 minutes from home, because I loved the course and the club's culture, and expect I will play a majority of my local golf there.

Previously, I lived in Powell, OH (suburb of Columbus).  The nearest private course I never played was York Golf Club, about 5 miles away.  I never met a member or received an invite.  The nearest public I never played was Raymond Memorial, about 15 miles away.  Both of these omissions were outliers, as I played all but a handful of the courses within a 50 mile radius.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:48:17 AM by Brian Finn »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
Pretty cool exercise - I live in Victor NY (suburb of Rochester)

Private - Irondequoit CC by Donald Ross - 12 miles away
Why haven't I played it? No idea - know a couple members just never found the time to accept.
If I played it next it would be Midvale by RTJ JR - 14 miles away - no coverage

Public - Ontario Country Club by Geoffry Cornish
Why haven't I played it - To play it from my house I'd have to drive by one of my favorite courses in the area Greystone and I just cant do it.
If I played it next it would be Genesee Valley Muni - much better options around - no idea who designed it but I did learn this Am this legend has it that it hosted the very first round of golf late starter Calvin Peete ever played!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Nigel Islam

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
Ohio Country Club and Central Country Club, both in West Central Ky are 58 miles away as the crow flies, but I've played everything within 90 minutes. Living in Evansville that really does not encompass many courses.

It looks like there is a Pine Valley Golf Club a little farther out, but I think it is closed now........

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
Kyle,  Great Thread!

I reside in The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI

Private-  CC of Detroit (45 miles) is the one I didn't make it to this summer.  As an Alison admirer I am really looking forward to playing CCD.  Since the property is relatively flat, that makes me more interested in playing it.  I've been fortunate to learn about the course through friends.  I wish they would have been able to have done the restoration all at once and have all the tie ins work. 

Public- Stoatin Brae or Roseland Park (windsor)(45-60 miles) -  I checked off all my local gems last year.  I haven't played Roseland Park in 17 years and since it has been renovated.  I used to drive up from Toledo to play Roseland Park.  It was a great treat to play a public Ross course.  Stoatin Brae, because I love the Battle Creek area and it will make a nice accompaniment to Battle Creek CC followed by Arcadia Ales post rounds!

What is stopping me is friends and their schedules  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:45:40 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played?
Two categories:
Public - American Golf Club of Vero Beach - 2.6 mi
Private - Riomar Country Club - 2.7 mi
Approximately where do you live? Vero Beach, FL
Why?
American GC - Because I'd always heard it's horrible and constantly on the edge of shutting down, so I mostly play at Sandridge, the county facility. That said, recent reviews of AGC that I've found online indicate that new ownership is turning things around, so I may check it out sometime soon.
Riomar - Have not been invited to play it.
Who designed it?
American GC - Arthur Hills, evidently
Riomar - First nine were Herbert Strong, not sure re: second nine; recent work initially proposed by Ron Forse but carried out by Tommy Fazio
What would the answer be if you played it your next round?
If I played AGC, the closest public I hadn't seen would be Island Pines (7 mi), another lower-end public I just haven't gone to play, designed by Arthur Young (never heard of him).
If I played Riomar, the closest private I hadn't seen would be Indian River Club (6 mi), a Ron Garl course. Will probably play here in 2017; I think my local FL Am qualifier is there.
What's stopping you?
Re: AGC and Island Pines, probably an inner golf-snobbishness that I need to continue to get rid of.
Re: the privates, just opportunity/invites.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Finding courses near me that I've not played is requiring more gasoline.  :-)

Public:  Mercer Oaks West in West Windsor Twp, NJ (48 miles from 'Nova).  A Brian Ault course.  I'm confident I'll hit it this season.

Private:  Wilmington CC, both courses (RTJ and Dick Wilson) in Wilmington, DE (33 miles).  Some day(s)!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:25:29 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
I live in Traverse City, MI.

The closest course to me that I haven't played is Gary Player's Wolverine course at the Grand Traverse Resort, about 4 miles by car.  We interviewed for that job [with Davis Love, because the owner at the time HAD TO HAVE a Tour pro name involved] but they passed over the local guy; I guess I still hold it against them!  Plus, the course was another nail in High Pointe's coffin.

I'm not sure about the closest private club course I haven't played ... there are not too many up north.  I guess it would be Leland CC, about 40 minutes away; I've walked that but never played it.  Or Elk Rapids CC, which is semi-private ... a nine-hole Donald Ross layout about 15 minutes north of my house.  My crew were actually talking to them about doing some work there last summer, but I don't think anything came of it.

MCirba

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »
I live on a mountain in the woods 8 miles outside of Lehighton, PA, where I'm presently adding four foot thick lead walls to my basement in anticipation of the next four years.   :-X

Nearest privates to me I haven't played are two nine hole community courses, Naomi Lakes Timber Trails (1974 - likely Logan Steele and Ray Hansen) (32.3 miles) and Thornhurst Estates CC (Art Hitson 1963) (38.5 miles).

Nearest public is a 1150 yard par three nine hole course at Newfoundland GC (Vance Megargel/John Rasmussen 1947) (51.6 miles)

Of 18 hole private courses, the nearest are Panther Valley CC (Allamuchy, NJ) (RTJ Sr.) (52 miles), while in PA I haven't played Squires GC in Horsham, PA (George Fazio)  (63.3 miles) and Old York Road CC (William/David Gordon) nearby (65.3).

Nearest public 18 hole course I haven't played is too difficult to determine but is likely something in northern NJ, but in PA they would be Rock Creek GC in Nicholson, PA (72.5 miles) and Cricket Hill GC near Honesdale (78 miles).

Other than lack of invites, I have no real reasons for not playing any of them and would enjoy playing them all, even if some are likely horrific architecturally based on drive by's.  :)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »
Good one Kyle...

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private. Public is probably Wenham CC...private is probably Thomson CC in North Reading....both 8-10 miles from my house.
Approximately where do you live?  Marblehead, MA
Why? Wenham is par 66, and is surrounded by great courses, though mostly private....Thomson is a full course, yet by all accounts is not enjoyable due to OB on both sides every hole.
Who designed it? Wenham is actually well over 100 years old, and was formed by some Myopia caddies pre-1900...not sure of the designer.  Thomson CC is by Geoffrey Cornish, circa 1970s.
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? There are a few local 9-holers I haven't played(Reedy Meadow in Lynnfield, New Meadows in Topsfield, and some of these are not full length...private may be Bellevue, a 9-holer by Stiles in Melrose, MA.
What's stopping you? Not much, other than my club being a great course and only 2mins away, and the North Shore of Boston having many other great privates and good publics.

Also, if you've only been in your current location for under two years, how do these answers change with your previous address?  I lived in Boston previously...the local public ones to Boston that I haven't played are Furnace Brook in Quincy (9) or Leo J. Martin...private is definitely Belmont or Bellevue.  If I used my workplace in Quincy, Blue Hill in Canton would be the nearest private I haven't played.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:31:31 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
I live in Bethesda, Maryland.

Private (tie): Chevy Chase Club (Ross) and Columbia Country Club (Herbert Barker).  Both pretty exclusive and the couple of invites I received did not work for schedule.

Public: Rock Creek Golf.  No idea who designed but supposed to be fun, short course that opened during the 1920s.  I have played pretty much every public in DC area, but just never really thought to try it because it used to be very crowded and not in great condition (not sure how it is now).

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Public: Hidden Valley GC, Livingston

Private: Five Oaks G&CC, Lebanon

I live in Putnam Co, TN

Local golf here is and always has been about real estate. No thanks. :)

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
The closest golf course to my home that I haven't played is Highland National Golf Course in St. Paul, MN. There is an 18 and a 9 hole course there. The golf courses date back to 1927, when it was called Highland Park (after the surrounding neighborhood) Golf Course, according to their website.

The course has a pretty neat old clubhouse:

The clubhouse was designed by Clarence Wigington, whom at the time was one of the few African-American architects working in the United States. He designed a matching water tower nearby and is a local landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The golf course itself is most famous as the place where Charles Schultz grew up playing golf. (Local hero Joe Mauer also grew up playing there).

In 2005, the city hired local hack architects Garrett Gill and Paul Miller to renovate the golf course. They took a classic city golf course, renamed it Highland *National* and turned it into this:

Although, what the course is most famous for these days is the "Snoopy" bunker that they built to honor Charles Schultz:

I haven't played it for a variety of reasons. Probably #1 being that I live one block from my home course, and Highland National is about 3-4 miles away. The second is that every time I drive by it usually looks flooded and covered in Canadian geese. The third is that is was designed by Gil and Miller.
H.P.S.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
Where do I live: Westside of Cincinnati, OH. If you've been to Cincinnati, you understand the East/West divide.

I’ll assume this is driving instance. For my public course, it wouldn’t matter. For my private course, there’s one closer by the crow flies, but that pesky Ohio River, even with a ferry, makes it technically longer than the one below.

Public: Hartwell Golf Course (9 holes) - 16 miles away
Who designed it? - No clue who designed it or when it opened. I know it used to be a private course for CG&E ( former Cincinnati Gas & Electric) and became public. Outside of that, I don't know much.
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? - Well, notched that one, I guess.
What's stopping you? - I’m a member of another club in town, limited time, no desire to play it. The dogleg on the third hole just looks downright dangerous for a slice.

Private: Hidden Valley Golf Club (Indiana) - 12.5 miles away
Who designed it? - Jack Kidwell and Michael Hurdzan
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? - Sure, I guess. Some holes appear pretty funky though; and not necessarily good funky.
What's stopping you? - Probably nothing. I don’t think I know any members, but I’m pretty sure they take reciprocal play. I guess because I mostly play out of my club (which is close by and I enjoy both course and culture), I have relatively limited time for outside rounds, and there are a lot other courses in the Cincy/Dayton area that are higher on my (realistic) priority list.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:28:57 PM by Criss Titschinger »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
I have played EVERY course within 45 minutes of Cinicinnati except TWO. Well 3 if you count Kenwood CC as 2 separate courses.

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played?
Two categories: Public and Private. Private: Both Courses at Kenwood CC and Public the par 3 course at Little Miami. Approximately where do you live?  Cincinnati, Ohio
Why? Have not been able to get access to Kenwood CC, but I will this coming spring. Little Miami, I don't care for 1,000 yard, par three courses, but I will be taking the kids there in the spring as well.Who designed it? Kenwood CC - Bill Diddel, Little Miami par 3 - ??? ?What would the answer be if you played it your next round? What's stopping you? Right now, Winter weather.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:33:33 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

John McCarthy

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
I also am a Chicago Northside.  Bryn Mawr for me also.  I could take the Pulaski bus  and walk a few blocks to get there. 

The nearest public is the Edgebrook course ran by the Forest Preserve District.  I never played there because I heard the conditioning was aweful and it is frequently under water. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

JReese

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
I suspect this may generate some interesting responses and thoughts.

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private.
Public - Lincoln Oaks Golf Course, Crete IL
Private - Innsbrook Country Club, Merrillville IN

Why?
2 very soon to be 3 children under the age of 5 

Who designed it?
Lincoln Oaks - Tom Bendelow
Innsbrook - William Langford

What's stopping you? see above

"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back