News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Peak golf seasons are usually associated with spring and fall. These two seasons are also normally associated with overall ideal environmental conditions which are favorable for turfgrass growth, which in turn should produce maximum presentation and playability of the golfing experience. Unfortunately, it also the time of the year when most clubs choose to aerify and remove large cores from the putting surfaces and then refill them with new sand. Normal recovery time is two to three weeks and putting surfaces are anything but fun during this recuperation time frame. This is a viable practice if your objectives are to modify and improve the sub-surfaces of say push up greens. However, if you have sand-based greens properly constructed with round particles sand that followed USGA particle size specifications then one can consider other alternative, less disruptive, cultural practices. The sand doesn´t wear out and need to be changed. We are taught that core aerfiying relieves compaction but we are also taught that round sand resists compaction and that why we can roll greens. Core aerifying is beneficial in removing thatch build up. Agreed but the thatch can be controlled through weekly verticutting and biweekly light top dressing with sand. Eliminating insecticides and the addition of molasses or other syrups will favor the presence of microorganisms which aid in the decomposition of the thatch. Getting air to the roots and allowing the surfaces to dry out is the key factor in justifying the aerifcation process.

This what normally happens below the soil following a core aerification. The roots are attracted to the hole and the air. I am sure if we used a smaller solid tyme and there were 20 holes in this plug the results would be a vast roots system more uniform throughout the plug.

Frequent small solid tines with minimum spacing is a valid alternative in many cases to the standard core aerifying.

[font=]Example of a small core aerifying and in front of the cores an example of solid aerifying[/font]

The holes disappear after passing some kind of drag or broom.

The standard program we will follow: aerify with small solid tines, verticutt in two directions, lightly topdress with sand, drag and roll in two directions.  Repeat in three weeks.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:31:23 AM by Randy Thompson »

Adrian_Stiff

Re: OT. Greens core aerifying. Is it really necessary? NO, not always!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
If you solid tine and then topdress you can actually tighten up the surface and decrease space/air movement.

A hollow tine or fork (verti drain) gives a bit of stretch to the soil profile.

I think you make good points about the principles of a rounded particle sand, but most constructions still have more angular sands. Some even say you need some angular shape to get stability. Sands for bunkers should be very different than for greens construction but that seems to have gone by the wayside over the last 20 years.

I think old fashioned greens might need TWO strong aerfications that disrupt play with USGA you can do once and probably even miss the first two years...golfers feet take their toll for a couple of years of play.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
I see that Dry Jet not only sells their system for greens but markets a “10,20,30” for the approaches to deliver fast and firm. The 10/20/30 referring to yards out from the green. Anyone have a feeling about this or experience with same?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:49:12 PM by Tim Martin »

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 04:47:39 PM »
Verticutting typically removes more thatch per square inch than aerification....so in theory you could verticut only and actually make better progress as far thatch reduction.   
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 01:58:48 AM »
I too would suggest that regular dustings along with verticutting and slitting is just as effective without the disruption to the playing surface of coring.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 02:30:43 AM »
Me too.  We're doing it in a couple of days and golfers will not be impacted much. 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 06:37:07 AM »

I really want to stay out of this thread, but PLEASE before making blanket statements, consider age of greens, climate & turf type. If a Superintendent inherits , soft, thatch enriched greens that don't drain, much more aggressive measures will be needed, multiple times to get the greens back into  proper condition.
  What is being described is a program that can work on brand new greens, managed in such a manor from day 1 in certain climates. Unfortunately, manor clubs tournament schedules aren't build around a 3 week aerification schedule, either.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »
^^^^Voice of reason

Also missing from this conversation is the importance of soil testing.  That's the starting point, as you need to know what's going on down there before you can embark on less invasive practices.  How much organic matter do the greens have?  What's the thatch/mat layer looking like?

Similarly missing is the importance of managing the growth rate of the grass throughout the season primarily through nitrogen applications.  The goal is an acceptable growth rate to recover from the stresses of golf, but no more than that.  It's like trying to hit the speed limit perfectly while driving on the highway.  Go too fast and the cops get you (excessive growth thus excessive thatch and the need to pull cores/vcut/disruptive practices).  Go too slow and you get run into from behind (low N, low growth disease pressures).

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
^^^^Voice of reason

Also missing from this conversation is the importance of soil testing.  That's the starting point, as you need to know what's going on down there before you can embark on less invasive practices.  How much organic matter do the greens have?  What's the thatch/mat layer looking like?

Similarly missing is the importance of managing the growth rate of the grass throughout the season primarily through nitrogen applications.  The goal is an acceptable growth rate to recover from the stresses of golf, but no more than that.  It's like trying to hit the speed limit perfectly while driving on the highway.  Go too fast and the cops get you (excessive growth thus excessive thatch and the need to pull cores/vcut/disruptive practices).  Go too slow and you get run into from behind (low N, low growth disease pressures).

Agreed. This doesn't include water quality & quantity, either. The original posting was a very blanket statement. I can see where it can work & have heard stories where it has, but the stars almost need to align.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 02:49:03 PM »

Anthony, Tom,

I took the original post to mean in general but not always. I think the idea was to talk about the dog and not it's tail. ;)

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »
Jon,

The issue I have is that the original post can easily be interpreted by most non-turf guys as "Hey!  Did you know your club doesn't have to aerify?"

I would say that 90+% of courses in the US probably need more aerification, not less, and if they can get their soil structure and fertility program where they want it, THEN they could consider a non-core aeration program.  Where you are in the UK it might be different.

That being said, no one likes aerification.  It sucks for all involved, most of all the crew.  I'll never understand the constant slow mow core pulling vids by superintendents on Twitter glorifying it.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back