News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Meadowbrook just recently went under the knife last year for a complete overhaul under the eyes of Andy Staples.  Meadowbrook had 6 original Willie Park Jr (WPJ) holes and 2 Donald Ross Greens.  Andy's job was to maximize the land features as best as possible and retaining as many WPJ design philosophies as possible.  Metro Detroit in general has been late to the party compared to other cities with restoring Golden Age courses or in Meadowbrook's case maximizing it's full potential.  However the wait has been worth it considering what has been accomplished in the last 4-5 years.

Hole 1       (232, 271, 322, 340, 348, 372)

(Before)  Now the current tee is where the putting green used to be.

(Now) The new tee was moved over to the left and basically swapped the old putting green area for new tee.  This shifted the line of play to the right, playing more with the contours that run away from the player towards a new ditch feature on the right.   A bunker on the left was added on the left to challenge the long hitter that will mindlessly pull the driver.  This will give the player a choice of club off the tee, making driver not always the preferred club.  It also relieves some pressure on hooked balls towards 8 mile road. 

(new putting green)

The green was kept in place as well as 75% of the existing contours.  The front of the green was raised up to gain a front pin position.  Short grass was added around the entire front which will help the lower spinning approaches.  The fronting bunkers were kept generally in the same location.  A wall was added in behind the green generally for aesthetic purposes but does not come into play for long shots.  It's designed to be an integral part of the course. 

(Before photos)

(During) Look how mint that killed bent turf is.  How i wished I'd brought my 2 iron  8)

(Now)

Hole 2           (341, 381, 414, 515, 548, 573)
This is the first Willie Park Jr hole on the course as this hole was in the original routing, and has the most interesting original green.

(Before)
Tee

(2nd shot)

(During)
The Tees on Hole 2 intersect with #9 tees and 8 green.  This area presented a difficult challenge in congestion and safety.  8 green was moved away from 2/9 tees to give more room for entire teeing complex as 2 and 9 tees are shared.

(Now) 

The intent from the tee was to set up a visual string of bunkers from the left side of the landing area up to the right side of the fairway in the distance.  The fairway was shifted right to reinforce the strategy of challenging the corner, while a bunker, rough and a few chocolate drop protect this line.

The green contours were largely saved with the exception of a significant fill in the front.  This adjustment flattened out the front of the green to 3% (from 7%), which now should keep balls from being putted off the surface and down the hill.  Bunkers flank both sides of the squared off putting surface, in keeping with what we could see as original Park shaping

Hole 3       (222, 250, 321, 339, 351, 369)

Previous thread on this WPJ Template 
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63877.0.html

Hole 4       (286, 368, 402, 460, 518, 536)
Hole 4 was probably the most polarizing hole on the existing course.  Some loved it, some absolutely hated it.

(Before)

Originally a par 4, we pushed the tees back and to the left (on the location of the old 3rd green), and extended the green back to an unused portion of the property.  It now plays as a strong, fair caped-styled par 5. 
(During)

The old green location now serves as a focal point of the hole, utilizing it as the preferred landing area for a second shot.  The fairway was shifted left to bring the existing pond into play, and setting up a heroic ''go or no-go'' type second shot.  Large existing walnut trees left from the original homestead line guard both the left and right tee shot, while all of the existing willow trees (and existing pump house) were removed.  The green is now one of the smallest on the course, protected by a fronting slope, and left greenside bunker and a large bunker behind.  A large area of shortgrass was added along the right side which blends all the way toward #13 green (in the distance)
(Now)

Hole 5     (249, 254, 320, 368, 417, 460)

The existing 5th hole was a short par 4, routed on some of the best property on the entire site.  Much of the interesting topography was hidden in the trees along the right side of the hole.
(Before)

The new hole expands the fairway to the right, taking advantage of this land, incorporating some incredible roll and contour in the expanding landing area.  The green was moved back about 50 yards, making this now one of the more difficult par 4's on the front (depending which tee you are playing from).
(During)

(After)

The new Punchbowl green occupies space from old #6 (an average par 3), and is protected by grass slopes and a new stream channel.  This hole is the only one on the course void of bunkers. 

Hole 6
      (98, 106, 134, 148, 158, 176)
(Before)

This is the only new hole on the course.  To make room for the extended #5, as well as the shift to the right of #3 green, the old par 3 6th was eliminated.  The new hole occupies unused land between 2 green, #3 and #7.  It also serves as a link from the low part of the property, up to the highest point on the course (#7 tees).  The hole is set against a strong cross slope that is used as the key feature of the hole.  Playing to around a 5-6 iron, the right slope will come into play, depending on where the pin is set. 
(During)

The tee complex for the new #6 is set on top of the old #11 green.  This move also allowed for room to shift the #11 green, and #12 tees to remove a safety issue.  Overall, this adjustment integrated an used part of the property, reduced a safety issue, and create better flow in the routing. 
(After)

Hole 7      (219, 268, 348, 367, 387, 418)
(Before)

Due to the addition of the new par 3 6th, the tees for 7 were shifted up the hill (just right of #2 green), to the highest point on the property.  The shift to the right now brings an existing pond feature into play off the tee.  The new height of the tee now shows the player the location of the green, and gives a vast panorama of the entire property. 
(During)

(below a look to the left of the 6th green)

The landing area is defended by a bunker complex on the left, pond short right and the severe upslope.  The approach to the green is blind, being shown the way by an existing American Elm in the distance.  The green was shifted right to grab 10 extra yards to the hole, while making space for an expanded #8 tee complex.  The green approach is open, featuring a strategic step slope to allow hot balls short to run into the green.
(After)

8 Hole    (93, 116, 141, 169, 186, 206)
(Before)

(present day tee location)

The largest adjustment on #8 was a shift of the green away from the property line to give #2 and #9 tee more room.  We also added a pond feature in front of the green to give the hole balance while addressing a major drainage issue.
(During)

The green is loosely modeled after a Langford & Moreau green at Lawsonia in WI.  A large short grass chipping area is hidden behind the green for shots that are hit too aggressive, defined by 2 bunkers set into the tee complex for 2 and 9. 
(After)

Hole 9        (213, 245, 298, 312, 324, 338)

Hole 9 was always a short par 4, but was defended by a heavily bunkered, small green and a thick grove of small trees long the entire right side.  One of the problems with the old hole was trees didn't keep the longer hitters from going for the green and the longer hitter couldn't see if people were on the green putting.  The new hole opened up the line of sight to the green, allowing for safer conditions.  Also visually showing the strategy of the hole.
(Before)

Three fairway bunkers and a new ditch feature was added along the right side of the hole to add further strategy for those that challenge the green from the tee.  A generous fairway allows a safe shot to be hit to the left, with a small wedge approach. Interesting ground features were added to affect drives as they run towards the green.  A roll in the fairway just short of the green will kick a ball towards the green or into bunkers, depending on the rub of the green.
(During)

The green is the smallest on the course, making it a tricky approach and recovery if missed.  Short grass was added around the entire green, combined with 3 bunkers, making a missed green a tricky recovery.  There is a small back stop in the rear of the green to allow for longer shot to be a bit contained, while adding an interesting element for wedges that are hit with too much spin.
(After)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:54:19 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Anthony Gholz

Great pics Ben, as usual. 

An excellent decision to move the tee left and play down right rather than parallel to Eight Mile.  It'll be interesting to see how Andy's "Oakmont" ditches are received by the membership.  I remember how much time Andy spent talking on #1 green regarding his efforts to finalize the slope.  He was really concerned that the various pin positions were really able to be used when speeds were up.  Can't wait for the second hole where the course really shows its character and scale. 

Meadowbrook's a winner!
Anthony

Jon Adkins

Looks fantastic, Ben. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot about Meadowbrook this summer and beyond.

Frank M

Awesome.

Can't wait to see the rest of this. Hoping to head that way in the summer.

Anthony Gholz

Ben:

As I said earlier I can't wait for (to play) this hole.  You've stated all the pertinent info re #2 so I just agree with what you've said.  What you missed with your excellent pics is the view and understanding of what comes next, meaning a view of at least half the golf course.  The drone shot comes closest if it was biased to the left it would be perfect. 

Standing on the back tee on 2 you're right behind the back tee on 9.  In fact you could play #9 from the 2nd tee.  In the view between the two holes you look back up the full length of the par-3 8th and can see pieces of at least a half dozen more holes in this grand panorama view. 

This hole is absolutely recognizable as the old 2nd, but it has been dramatically improved strategically, and with the tree removal on the whole course your sense of where you are and what's ahead is immediate.  Always a great property I think now everyone will see it when they stand on this tee. 

We've already seen the (controversial?) 3rd, so I'm looking forward to 4.

BTW don't you love the square corners of the 2nd green.  In previous research on an "engineered" design with similarities to Park's greens, almost all the original green drawings showed these square front corners.  The I went out to look at the green pads you could "see" the possibilities.   If Golden Age clubs could just get their green pads back they would have a renewed appreciation of their courses.

Anthony

Gary_Nelson

I was a fan of the old #4.   It demanded a strong tee shot, then a long/mid iron to a severely tilted green.   Bailing out right was safe, but your downhill chip rarely held the putting surface.  Laying up short into the rough offered the better opportunity for an up and down par.   I thought it was the hardest par on the course.

The new #4 playing as a par 5 from 536 yards suggests it might be an easier hole to par.

Do you know the plan for the grass between the green running down to the pond?   Will it be rough, or fairway length?   If fairway length, the misses to the left will run way down the hill and your chip back to the green will be quite a challenge.

Terry Lavin

Very inspiring indeed. Great land, nice bunkering and a bit of quirk. Nice.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

I was a fan of the old #4.   It demanded a strong tee shot, then a long/mid iron to a severely tilted green.   Bailing out right was safe, but your downhill chip rarely held the putting surface.  Laying up short into the rough offered the better opportunity for an up and down par.   I thought it was the hardest par on the course.

The new #4 playing as a par 5 from 536 yards suggests it might be an easier hole to par.

Do you know the plan for the grass between the green running down to the pond?   Will it be rough, or fairway length?   If fairway length, the misses to the left will run way down the hill and your chip back to the green will be quite a challenge.

Gary,

The grass left of the 4th green will be rough.  A ball hit with any speed will run down the hill and you suggested.  A ball trickling will hang up for an easier up and down.  Any ball coming in with a lot of speed or hook spin could find the water. 

Tony,

I agree with everything you said.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:16:46 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Gary_Nelson

Old #5 was a 3-wood or a long iron off the tee and a very short iron to the green.  It was rather one dimensional off the tee.  The fun happened when you got that side hill lie with a short iron in your hands.

The new #5 with the square corners and sharp upslope at the rear of the green makes yet another interesting design.

Jason Way

Fantastic work on this thread, Ben.  Thank you for all of the effort you have put into documenting this project.  As I have watched the progress unfold on Twitter (highly recommend following Asst Super Andy O'Haver https://twitter.com/andyohaver) Meadowbrook has moved farther up my list of must-sees with every photo.

There are shades of so many architects and courses at the new MCC, it is a like a treasure hunt for GCA geeks.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Anthony Gholz

Ben:

Quick comment:  #5 may now be the most "Park" like hole on the course.  Park gave us the original routing and use of the spectacular existing mounding and Andy has given us the new green that looks like a throwback .... waaaaayyyy back!

Anthony

BCowan

Tony

I agree with you in regards to the 5th green.  I'd like to have seen a grass gully extended through the fairway connecting the creek on each side.  Which is very Park esk.  The tee shot is super cool and the options for the 2nd are excellent. 

Tim Passalacqua

This construction looks amazing.  It is great to see a project look so bold and edgy......it definitely has my attention!!!  I love GCA for this exact reason.  Amazing photo tour of a course a lot of us have never heard of and making us aware of the great work happening at Meadowbrook.  Every aspect of the course looks amazing.  Nice flow, rolling piece of land, great bunkering......and the greens look off the charts.  I am a sucker for boldly contoured greens with a ton of interest.  I don't think you could have a boring day out there.  It sure looks like a lot fun to me.  I can't wait to see pics of the back nine.

Joe Hancock

I like the photo of Scott Clem, who did much of the shaping, in his somewhat sarcastic "architect photo-op" pose.
The fact that he is clutching a Trimble handheld GPS mapping device just adds authenticity.

Ben,

You may want to start another thread to do the back nine. The scrolling is getting quite deep at this point.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Alex Miller

I like the photo of Scott Clem, who did much of the shaping, in his somewhat sarcastic "architect photo-op" pose.
The fact that he is clutching a Trimble handheld GPS mapping device just adds authenticity.

Ben,

You may want to start another thread to do the back nine. The scrolling is getting quite deep at this point.

Or just a new post within this thread so the comments are next to the new pics. Looks great!

Trey Kemp

Nice job on the photos and descriptions Ben, it looks like Andy has done some great work.  I can't wait to see the back 9!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Mike Bodo

Wow, I almost don't even recognize the course from the old course from the "new" images. I think the year the membership had to wait for all of this work to be done will have been well worth their patience. I know we took several members in from Meadowbrook at Western, as did other clubs in the SE Michigan area. Now they'll need to repay us by allowing reciprocal play on their new course.  ;D  In all seriousness, I hope to get a chance to play this track. It looks phenomenal!
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

BCowan

Hole 10-      (211, 254, 302, 325, 354, 372)

(Before)

A straight away par 4, playing from the new putting green towards the same landing area.  A new fairway bunker protects the right side and direct line to the green, while some smaller chocolate drops serve as a deterrent to the left side.  A 3 wood off this tee is a good play. 
(During)

The green was shifted left to make room for an expanded 11th hole, and also too advantage of another infinity edge green that was hung on the side of the slope like the 7th green.  The green is one of the strongest in terms of slope and contour, having only a wedge distance into the approach.  an existing American Elm sits just left of the green, serving as another deterrent from approaching on the left side of the fairway. 

The green slopes away from the player, making it a pretty intricate shot.  Like many other greens, a shot played short is safe, while an aggressive play may run to the back of the green, or even over.  The bunker on the right of the green is set around a large short grass area, protecting the right approach while seemingly in play for the bomber drive off the tee.
(After)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:47:33 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

Hole 11-   (95, 126, 146, 178, 194, 215)

(Before)

The longest par 3 on the course, this hole was shifted to make room for the new 6th and adjusted 12th tees.  The hole plays downhill to a flattish green set into one of the lowest areas of the course.  The green was filled approximately 5 feet and angled to play across the predominant right to left helping wind.  The front of the green is guarded by a ''shoe bunker'' complex (named aptly after the locker room attendant Shoeman), a newly constructed drainage ditch and a left green side bunker.  A series of chocolate drops surround the hole, together with the courses largest fescue area.  A generous short grass chipping area runs the length of the hole along the right side, blending visually into the bunker complex of the 6th green.  The green is centered around a large interior ''bowl'', segmenting the green from front to back.  It also serves as a small ''hole'-in-one'' pin location.  The interior green contours will be one of the trickiest to read as the slopes tend to look like a putt may break uphill.   
(During)

(After)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:24:06 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

Hole 12-     (309, 363, 457, 521, 540, 575)

(Before)

This hole is the longest par 5 on the back, with the back tee directly adjacent to the chipping area on #11.  The tee was shifted to the right to not only make more player friendly navigation up the hill, but also to make room for the new 6th.  An aiming bunker on the left is easily carried (if playing the right set of tees), allowing for a drive to take advantage of a strong down slope in the landing area.  The second shot will generally be a lay up, being guarded by a strong right to left cross slope and a fairway bunker on the left.  For those that are going for the green, the right side of the green approach blends smoothly into a short grass area, forcing a ball to run out if hit too firmly.  A deep bunker back right, pulled off the green surface, should deter players from missing the green on the right side.  The green is an original Donald Ross surface (per the notes of the club).  The green was pushed back about 20 yards and the putting was recreated from the pre-construction survey.  The original green surface was one of the most severe on the course.  So, the new green allowed for an expanded green perimeter and raise the front in order gain more modest slope.  It still remains one of the most severe on the course.  The green is guarded on the right by a sand bunker and transitions off the back with short grass running into the 13th tee. 
(During)

(After)

Anthony Gholz

Ben:

You're way ahead of me!

#6  This is the first time your photos don't do it justice.  Like how the right side is hidden a bit by the natural land form w/Andy's help.  lots of roll to green and right side continuity to green.  I hope the course stays dry enough to get the bounce you describe.

#7  Superior use of the property getting another tee/green back on the high point with a spectacular view of what you've just played and your some of your next holes.  Like the in your face old fashion stacked bunkering and use of the "natural" water feature.  The green also pushes to the ridge at the other end again using the property in a way superior to Park's original.

#8 Love the green and bunkering up close.  Not as happy with end appearance of greenside bunker size from the tee.  Perhaps one side could have been larger, or appear larger than the other.  Maybe too balanced?

#9 Original hole: Build a privet (sp?) hedge when you don't have TOC Swilcan Burn bridge?!  Yikes!!!  Just getting the privet hedge railing of the bridge out of there made my day.  This was a good holland Andy maintained the routing while improving view and bunkering.  Again the view is not just of the 9th hole but the entire panorama.  Lot's of FUN to play this hole.

I'll get to the back side next weekend.
Anthony

BCowan

Hole 13-      (114, 140, 149, 157, 168, 189)

(Before)

This par 3 plays downhill towards a natural lowland, with natural oaks and native grasses.  Much of the undercover and smaller trees were removed to gain a longer view into the marsh.  The tees were shifted right to take advantage of unused land, while allowing for the extension of the 12th green.  This hole is a mid iron shot playing cross wind, to very much an original green.  Minor modification were made to about 25% of the surface to make the green more pinable.  The surface was also expanded in the front to allow for an interesting pin just a few paces on.

Bunkers were rebuilt surrounding the green, and the inclusion of more short grass long and right really challenge a shot hit strong enough to make it to the back.  A Ball hit too firm will bound down the hill, leaving a tricky up and in.     

Much of the vegetation and ornamental beds were removed on the right, closer to 14 tees clearing a view not only from 13 towards 14 tee, but from 14 tees down into 13 green.
(During)

(After)

BCowan

Hole 14-     (222, 255, 267, 311, 338, 362)

(Before)

Originally a very narrow par 4 up the hill, the fairway was expanded to the left onto property currently owned by the club.  This expansion not only eases up a possible slice shot towards the 17th tee, but gives the player distinct options as to which side of the fairway they want to approach the green.  A deep swale was added in the center of the new fairway to give a feeling of a natural erosion, while also giving a bit more visibility up to players approaching the green.  The tee shot is intentionally void of fairway hazards, other than the large central bentgrass swale, to place a priority on a well struck tee shot with the intention of hitting a specific side of the fairway.

The new expanded fairway is intended to set up the strategy of the approach to the green, communicating the location of the pin via and old school ''peg'' sign at the tee.  The green is intentionally shaped in the form of a horseshoe ''lions mouth'' type green in order to set up a preferred side of the fairway for the approach.  Essentially, when a player tees off, they will look to see where the pin is located, and this knowledge will drive the decision of which side of the fairway they want to approach the green. The approach will be a short iron, so the green has some of the most severe slope on it.  There is a large upper section of the green, that distorted from view by a significant ridge in the center of the green, making the green surface appear much smaller from the approach than it really is.  The smaller ''jaws'' of the green are large enough for pins, on special days, further increasing the strategy of the approach.     

(During)

(After)

Jeff Bergeron

Wow! What an improvement! Staples work looks absolutely fantastic. A testament to how opening up the land can have remarkable results.Love the ditches. Can't wait to play this baby.

BCowan

Hole 15-         (269, 344, 350, 407, 442, 471)

(Before)

The hole is the longest par 4 on the back, playing with the predominate wind.  The tees were shifted left and back, while the green was moved to the right towards the old 16th tees.  The shift of the green made room for a future short game area and practice range expansion. 

The tee shot runs from left to right, bringing 2 fairway bunkers into play.  A strong drive should place you with a mid to long iron into a small, undulating green that will be difficult to hold.  Since this hole is the beginning hole of a fairly difficult finish, and is meant to play as a tough par or an easy bogey.

There is plenty of bailout space both right and short, leaving a tricky up and down.  I expect this hole to be on of the more polarizing, as it will take time to understand how you will want to play it, depending on your ability.
(During)

(After)  This was one of the last holes to be seeded so photos are weak

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:04:25 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back