News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Hole-    (272, 322, 332, 382, 414, 432)

(Before)

Hole 16 now plays as one of the strongest par 4's on the course, playing uphill and into the predominant wind.  Originally a par 5, the tees were shifted up and left to not only make room for the new 15th green, but also to free up additional space around hole 18 the existing tennis courts.

The fairway is supported on the right by a small four small bunkers, but for the most part plays as if there are no fairway hazards other than a large, rolling short grass area.  The fairway cut on 16 blends into the 15th approach as well as the 17th landing area.  This gives the hole the look of tremendous width.

The approach to the large green is a long iron or hybrid, and allows for a low running shot, both in terms of length of approach, open front of the green, and the factor of the wind.  Visually, a series of bunkers run the distance of the approach along the right, but are actually pulled away from the green, giving a bit of an illusion of where the bunkers actually come into play. 

The green is subtly sloped from back to front, with a small upper level back left.  2 greenside bunkers are over the green for balls hit too strongly.  This green was meant to challenge the running shot and will give a bit of a rub of the green, depending on where the pin is located.
(During)

(After)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:16:20 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

Hole-     (289, 391, 395, 450, 501, 522)

(Before)

17 is the shortest par 5 on the course, and was planned to play as a reachable, even a par 4 and a half for most players (depending on which tee they play from).  The tees were shifted slightly back and right, while the green was shifted right to now play as a slight bender from left to right.

The landing area is protected by an expanded large bunker on the left, and a large historic walnut tree on the right.  The longer you hit the tee ball, the more trouble you can find. 

The approach is another go or no go type shot, as 3 fronting bunkers protect the hill approach to the green.  The conservative play is to lay up with a 5 iron, and have a wedge left.  The closer to the bunker one is, the more visible the green becomes.  A lay up left way short will leave a blind, side hill, up hill shot to the small green.

The green pad has been shaped to resemble a Biarritz-type strategy, where the approach is left fairway cut, and the green surface is set on the further back level, placing a premium on an accurate approach.  2 large green bunkers protect the right side, while ample bailout area, mowed short grass, is left for the shots that miss left.  A shot hit long may ramble down into the 18th hole.   

The 17th hole is expected to play a large part in settling matches that are coming down the ending stretch, allowing a player who is behind to make up ground with aggressive play. 
(During)

(After)

BCowan

Re: MEADOWBROOK CC (Before, During, and After) *Northville, MI* (All 18up)
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
Hole 18-     (275, 337, 346, 385, 417, 440)

(Before)

Always playing as a par 4, the tees were extended back almost 50 yards, along with significant rework in terms of grading in the fairway to make this hole more playable and strategic.  Since we had room on the right side of the hole, the centerline was shifted right.  However, since the hole plays uphill from the tee, the fairway was left very wide for all the forward tee players.  A four bunker is set into the hill on the right (and also is visible to the approach on 17) to give a sense of how the hole turns, and serves as an aiming point for those hitting driver.  A large fairway bunker is set about 280 yards from the back tee on the left to serve as an aiming bunker, but can come into play for the long ball.  A 3 wood off the tee is a conservative play here.

The green is in the same location, and was originally built by Donald Ross.  We rebuilt contours, while rebuilding the bunkers for the green.  The green is dominated by a large swale that cuts through the middle of the surface, which serves as an additional hazard on the approach.  This is also one of the most severe in terms of slope within the green surface.  A conservative play should be left to the right of the green avoiding the new deep right green side bunker, while an aggressive play to a right ''Sunday'' pin will need to avoid the swale, while also not getting lost in the chipping area that blends directly into the 10th tee.     
(During)

(After)

Jason Way

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »
Wow.  Thank you very much for putting this all together Ben. 

I have been corresponding with Andy Staples and Andy O'Haver as the project has unfolded and they expressed confidence that players will be blown away - it is hard to argue based on this recap.  Cannot wait to see it in person.

For those who are interested, I did a project-related interview with Andy Staples on my blog:

https://geekedongolf.com/2017/01/15/a-modern-throwback-andy-staples-at-meadowbrook/

It includes audio and video content related to the project to supplement Ben's great work here.  Enjoy.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:16 AM »
Ben,

a very well done thread which showed the alterations up very well. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this.

Jon

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
Nice thread!

Now it's time to speculate what MCC's ranking will be in the 2017 GCA MI Rankings?  It will surely rise from unranked to Top 5. I predict #4.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
Ben: 

I add my voice to many others when I say thanks for the thread.

The drone photo of the 10th green is wonderful and does justice to the new 6th hole in the background. 

The 10th green as well as the others we've spoken of, has been pushed to the ridge and now makes for a more exciting 2nd shot.  Once you get to the new site you have one of the great panoramas of the entire course from one spot. 

The 18th always was good size and now has great, big scale, features to go with it.  Andy kept most of the routing (the members will still recognize this hole this spring) and solved his landing area bunker problem (opportunity).  And finally the bunkers are attached to the green and the entire  green area looks as though it was meant to be this way. 

A fitting end for a Michigan Am or Open don't you think?  Or maybe the Motor City Open? 

I'll have to think about Ryam's rating at #4, but it certainly moves to mid top ten at least. 
[/size][size=78%]Fact: This is now a better golf course, by far, than the course that held the National PGA in the "50s.  If only the course was considered for a big tournament, MCC and several others in the Detroit District could hold their heads high.[/size]

Anthony

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
Motor City Open?

Big 3 Open! (Sponsorship rotates every year) Hopefully it can be part of the new Fed-Ex Cup Playoffs that begin after The Open Championship and conclude before NCAA Football.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
Ryan: 

My introduction to the PGA Tour was back in the MCO days, specifically when it came to Knollwood.  Maybe 1963?  Bruce Crampton won and Frank Stranahan told me to "get lost kid" when I asked for an autograph.  Needless to say Frank was not one of my hero's after that. 
I'd have to find the list but the MCO rotated around all the great Detroit District courses including Meadowbrook, Birmingham, Plum Hollow, etc.

Anthony

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »
I'd have to find the list but the MCO rotated around all the great Detroit District courses including Meadowbrook, Birmingham, Plum Hollow, etc.

Cool story. Here is the list:

1948, 1949, 1954, 1959 Meadowbrook Country Club (Northville, Michigan)
1950, 1952 Red Run Golf Club (Royal Oak, Michigan)
1956 Western Golf and Country Club (Redford, Michigan)
1962 Knollwood Country Club (West Bloomfield, Michigan)

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Ryan:

You're right Knollwood July 12-15, 1962  Crampton 267.  He pretty much destroyed the course. Billy Casper finished way back.

I did find my program and can add Plum Hollow in 1957 Doug Ford 279.  And Western again in 1960 Stan Leonard 278.

Apologies to Ben for changing the subject, but Ryan does give "Old" Meadowbrook credit for quite a few MCO's.  Not chopped liver even in the old days. 

Ryan any chance you can tell us when the last MCO took place?

Anthony

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
Ryan any chance you can tell us when the last MCO took place?

I think my list is complete for the Motor City Open.

Western Open list by year: (MI only)

1904 Kent Country Club (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
1911 Kent Country Club (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
1922 Oakland Hills Country Club (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan)
1930 Indianwood Golf & Country Club (Lake Orion, Michigan)
1957 Plum Hollow Country Club (Southfield, Michigan)
1958 Red Run Golf Club (Royal Oak, Michigan)
1960 Western Golf & Country Club (Redford, Michigan)
1961 Blythefield Country Club (Belmont, Michigan)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:48:02 AM by Ryan Taylor »

BCowan

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
Playing Meadowbrook for the 2nd time next week.  Really looking forward to seeing it grown in more.  Playing very fast i hear..  I'm surprised more SE MI GCAers haven't opined on it. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:59:27 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

AStaples

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 08:13:18 PM »
So, the dry summer has definitely had an effect on the playing surfaces - I just played today and the fairways are super firm, as are the new greens. It's been so dry the seed mix in just about all the divots have yet to germinate, leaving many landing areas in need of moisture for some recovery. The roughs are also going a bit dormant, giving us the look we're we're hoping for.

Play well!

Andy

Peter Pratt

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
I played MCC back in July and loved it. (Andy, it was great to meet you after the round.) The range of shots required--and the high number of fun shots--was exceptional. Others who have played it that I know weren't enthralled by the quirkiness (#3, 14, and 17, especially), but I welcomed the strategy that the quirkiness engendered. On 3, the pin was in the bathtub right and I watched my wedge disappear down the slope. On 14, I dumped my second into the front bunker and had a 15-foot bunker shot to the front center pin with a backstop that I used. And the moat on 17 made for a challenging pitch. There isn't a weak hole on the course, but the par 3s are all superb. And 18 is a gem. I can't wait to get at it again. What more can you say of a course?

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
I just had the opportunity to play Meadowbrook and it was fantastic.  It is routed on a terrific piece of rolling terrain that provides constant movement during the round.  It's strategic, fun, challenging, eye appealing.......and might have the most interesting and exciting greens I have ever played on a parkland course.  There are side boards, back boards, slopes, internal contours, false fronts, etc.  They are all excellent!  The renovation was knocked out of the park.  If you are offered the chance to play it, don't skip the opportunity.  It really is a one of a kind course and you won't see anything else quite like it!

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:50:21 AM by Tim Passalacqua »

BCowan

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
Tim,

Glad you liked it. It's really fun and it's refreshing to see the club embrace Firm and true/fast.  I have played Meadowbrook twice as well as Moraine twice and they are really neck and neck quality wise with each having their own strengths. 

Ron Smith

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
Having the pleasure to play both Moraine and Meadowbook this year, I would agree they are very close.  Moraine is set on exceptional property and stretched to a brutal test of golf.  I found the Meadowbrook greens to be the deciding factor as their unique designs and variety give the course a slight edge for me.  Both are fantastic and I truly enjoyed both.  The 7th and 14th at Meadowbrook stood out as exceptional greens and overall green complexes.  In the end these are two outstanding courses that really shine after the recent work and are a must play.

Ari Techner

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
It's really amazing how much the quality of golf in the Detroit area has improved in the last 15 or so years.  Starting with Franklin Hills in 2003 so many great old courses have had great work done on them.  Detroit has to be one of the most under rated golf cities in the USA at this point.

(and btw the work at Moraine is simply amazing too)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back