News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Cabot Cliffs - With Photos - Hole 18 Posted
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
My recollection is that no there aren't any traces of a reverse Redan.  I would also argue that around 100 yards it would be too short as well since most golfers will be hitting something like a SW.  And a Redan is supposed to be on top of a ridge or hill - hence the reason why it is named after a fortress, that is definitely not the case here.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
After perusing this thread off and on over the last week, I've just spent 90 minutes planning and budgeting a Nova Scotia trip. I don't know whether to thank Ben or put him on my Ignore List before he costs me a few thousand dollars.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
Ben - thank you for posting these pictures. The whole course looks mouth-watering. Does the 9th have traces of a reverse Redan or is the middle part of the green flatter than it looks. Love the ridge front left though and bunker short right.

Tim, it's not really Redan-like, but there's a lot of contour. Here's a photo I took in June, before the course opened. This is behind the bunkers, looking across 9 green and down 2:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/18347423304/in/album-72157652474257923/

Tim Gallant

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
My recollection is that no there aren't any traces of a reverse Redan.  I would also argue that around 100 yards it would be too short as well since most golfers will be hitting something like a SW.  And a Redan is supposed to be on top of a ridge or hill - hence the reason why it is named after a fortress, that is definitely not the case here.

Thanks Wayne. I couldn't tell from the picture how far it sloped up in front but good to know about the distance. One of my favourite Redans is at Somerset Hills, which is downhill, but rises up from a small valley below. Perfect!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2015, 06:53:10 PM »
After perusing this thread off and on over the last week, I've just spent 90 minutes planning and budgeting a Nova Scotia trip. I don't know whether to thank Ben or put him on my Ignore List before he costs me a few thousand dollars.

You won't be sorry!

Try to make time for an overnight run up to Ongonish to play Highland Links and stay in the Keltic Lodge.  Again you won't be sorry!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
But do the drive while it is daylight as it is a spectacular drive

Brad Tufts

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »

Here are my RCAF fly-by photos:

Coming down #8...

Then he looped around over the ocean and came back again...(we were standing on the 8th green now):

He was close!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:54:38 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Will Lozier

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »

You won't be sorry!

Try to make time for an overnight run up to Ongonish to play Highland Links and stay in the Keltic Lodge.  Again you won't be sorry!

As Bill said, Highland Links is a must! I would have to put it in my top 10 played, and that includes some pretty heavy company including Cypress Point, Sunningdale Old, Royal County Down, Ballybunion, Deal, Sandwich, and ALL Bandon courses to name a few. I would even say that two rounds should be your absolute minimum - it is that good. I went round twice in 6 hours even with the challenging walk that is required by the all-world routing. Conditions be what they may, make it your first stop before heading around the northeast tip of the island on one of the great roads in the world, Cabot Trail.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »

You won't be sorry!

Jason,

I agree with Bill on all counts.  Cabot is a great resort and I had a blast there, but you do not want to miss Highlands.  Its a bit of a trek from Inverness, but the drive isn't exactly dull.  If you go there, be sure to get a breakfast wrap in the restaurant in the clubhouse loft; its an excellent way to start the day.

Hopefully, once you go, I will get off your ignore list!

Jim Tang

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »
Fantastic photo tour.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm hoping to make it to Cabot next summer.

Ruediger Meyer

Re: Cabot Cliffs - With Photos - Hole 6 Posted
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
Hole 6
171 Yards
Par 3

This hole may easily be overshadowed by the spectacular setting of 16, but this may have been my favorite hole on the course.  Directly downwind, and playing into a idyllic theater in the dunes, this hole challenges the modern golfers perception of aerial golf and playing to a specific yardage.  The green is IMMENSE and has two distinct levels, with the back half 5-6 feet below the front.  With pin positions on the front half as they were for both of my plays (and I suspect they normally will be), it takes a as little as a sand wedge and deft touch to keep one's ball on the front half of the green and avoid a very difficult putt back up the ridge.

Sorry to reopen this old thread, but I found this picture really interesting. I played Cabot last week and they got rid of the tall stuff in front of the tee on the 6th hole. After watching my playing partners hit wedges to a front Pin location and not being able to stop the ball, I decided to take the putter from the tee and actually hit it closer than any of them. It probably plays different with a back right pin location, but I wasn't sure what to make of this hole. Especially when we afterwards came to #9 which had a front left pin location as well and in a strong wind the best option - again - was to putt it from the tee. I have never played a course where taking putter from the tee was the best option, let alone on two holes. Does anyone like this concept?

Ben Malach

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »
I that club selection is dependent entirely on the day on those holes. But I also think that a lot of golfers forget that there are a lot of ways to hit certain distances with a lot strokes. If putter worked for you on both holes then is that not just architectural variety at play. I have no doubt a low runner could have been hit to the same position. But knowing the hole and how fast the ground drains there. I can tell you that most aerial approach will find a firm landing on the on the top tier. Leading to the bouncing or trickling down to the lower tier. Meaning the best way to play the hole to a front pin is to bounce or run the ball on with whatever stroke you can best muster. 
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Peter Le

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
I was there this past week and our group played it a variety of ways, including putting it from the tee box, when it was downwind. To answer your question of, 'do you like this concept,' I'm not the biggest fan of it but having the option is essential based on the possible wind conditions/direction. I like that it's an option here as it is on Cliffs #9 (which we played 30mph downwind). Now, #14 at Cabot Links doesn't give you this option. We played that 30mph downwind, and there was no option to putt it or punch it low given the native grass grown up between the tee boxes and the front bunker.
PL

David Davis

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
I think I was there at the same time as Peter but like ships in the night we walked past each other on the fairways.

Our group really enjoyed Cliffs as well. We have it about 7-3 on a 10 round split.

The par 3's discussed, #4, #6 and #9 I already nominated on another thread as C&C's worst holes. I didn't see quite the charm in them as the rest here seem to have found. #4 in the two days there we played both greens. I don't care for the two green system really though it does give an interesting varied look at #5. that beings said choosing the lesser of two evils I like the right par 3 better and like #5 more from the tees behind the left green.

#6 we played straight into the wind to a right middle location and left front location. While I thought the idea of the green was cool I was less impressed with the hole in general. I don't think it would of made a difference in my mind to play it down wind or in a side wind either. I might of liked to play to a lower tier pin position. Again not a bad hole, but another one I nominate for not being one of C&C's stronger holes. #9 again, awesome view, yes it's all about the view. We played front pin like in the photo and back pin. Wind pretty hard behind from right to left. To me the holes is missing something as such a short hole. The green was huge and while it runs away even down wind it was not that interesting a shot we felt. To each their own.

The other par 3's are excellent two of which we played into strong winds. Hey batting .500 is pretty good and would get you into the Hall of Fame in other sports.

Other aspects of the course were much better than the aforementioned par 3's.

17 is a bit gimmicky but no less spectacular. What's it's missing is a aiming stone of some sort. Maybe a white cross or something. No issues with it being blind or with the quirkiness of the hole. In fact, I like it very much and more than the other guys. Both of them drove the green once each. No eagles. I hit left the first go from the back tees with 3 wood and then greens side bunker. Will admit it was fun putting from the left side of the fairway around the the bunker to the left to a back right pin location to about 5 feet. I guess I was 65 yds out. Mind you I had help from the advice of the club pro who was rounding out our foursome and partnering with me for a North American VS Denmark Ryder Cup style event. Which we tied.

The course is great fun with a lot of fun and varied shots to be found. To be expected from C&C with an interesting site with the added eye candy of the beautiful coastline.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back