News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Ristola

Rustic Canyon Update
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
I recall the last time SoCal had a massive rain event, Rustic got hammered pretty badly.

Back then there was a fire which stripped the hillsides of the canyon bare. The result from what I recall from photos was a lot of washout/sand cover around holes 4, 6 & 7.

Anyone know how the course is holding up now?

Jordan Standefer

Re: Rustic Canyon Update
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
Tony,

A friend and I were first off on Saturday morning and other than some standing water in the fairway gully on the 2nd fairway, near the 3rd green, and the greenside bunker on #6, the course played fantastic.  Better yet, the weather seemed to keep most people away and we got around in 3:10.

We did get hammered down here last night with another storm moving in the coming days, so perhaps judgement should be reserved.

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
As Jordan said, a few very heavy hours this morning, but the storms are missing so cal for the most part. I doubt Rustic will experience anything out of the ordinary from a winter storm (for this week's weather at least). We had a warm sunny day here yesterday which probably helped dry things out and get some growth too.

Best of luck to the courses farther north!

Sean Ogle

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
It's been BRUTAL here in Portland.

Actually planning to play Rustic Canyon next week on our LA trip, so hoping the weather holds and things dry out. I need something other than freezing rain in my life...

Scott Weersing

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
I played Rustic Canyon on Jan. 4 and the course is a great as ever. The weeds on the border of the course are green from the recent rain. The fairways are still fast and firm with dormant bermuda. The areas around the greens are great as players or non players have been repairing their ball marks. I was very happy teeing off on one to look over and see them rolling the ninth green.

None of the bunkers had water in them. (Water in bunkers is normal here in Virginia Beach.)

So what did I see as result of the rain? It looked like there was  stream rolling through the course a couple of days prior as I walked from 14th tee to 14th fairway.

It would take a flash flood to damage Rustic Canyon.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
Tony R. -

So far this winter season, I don't think Southern California has had anywhere near the amount of rain we have had in Northern California. From Monterey north to the Oregon border drought conditions are beginning to fade away. But from Santa Barbara south the drought is still very much a problem.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Is-the-California-drought-over-storm-flood-10848000.php

DT

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
SoCal may not have been as hard hit as the northern portions, but I was in LA in November and again this past weekend and the difference is remarkable. Everything out there looked brown and ready to catch fire in November. It's not all green now, but there is green in the hills and even in the center lane medians in Beverly Hills!

I'll be back again, it seems, next month. Hoping to get out to Rustic again.

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
SoCal may not have been as hard hit as the northern portions, but I was in LA in November and again this past weekend and the difference is remarkable. Everything out there looked brown and ready to catch fire in November. It's not all green now, but there is green in the hills and even in the center lane medians in Beverly Hills!

I'll be back again, it seems, next month. Hoping to get out to Rustic again.

Very true!

The distribution of rain/snow in California is almost as good as we could ask for, maybe a shift slightly further north would be good. Flooding aside, the north is where nearly all the reservoirs and snowpack are, so that is where the drought will be solved, and where much of our water here in socal comes from.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back