News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Trinity Forest Writeup
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
I found this to be an interesting write-up on a new Coore/Crenshaw course by the coach of the SMU women's golf team. 

One quote:

"Another wonderful thing that the course has taught is that bounces are bounces.  One of my freshmen came off the course on the first round of qualifying and told me she had a lot of bad bounces.  I told her she wasn't going to score well with that attitude.  The sooner she figured out that bounces aren't good or bad, but simply bounces, she would learn what to expect.  By saying they were bad bounces, she made them seem random and wouldn't make the proper adjustments to avoid those areas in the future.  She hit every shot that bounced so she better figure out how to hit those shots differently"

http://12monthsofgolfinvail.blogspot.com/2016/12/trinity-forest-great-coach.html

Scott Weersing

Re: Trinity Forest Writeup
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:43:37 AM »
I wonder if any other college teams have a links like course for a home course. Is the Rawls course links?
The other one could be Palouse Ridge GC at WSU.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
I wonder if any other college teams have a links like course for a home course. Is the Rawls course links?
The other one could be Palouse Ridge GC at WSU.

I wouldn't call The Rawls Course links-like, exactly, but it is a difficult course where being out of position can leave you no chance of getting your next shot close to the hole.  The golf coaches say it takes a while for their new players to figure it out, but they do feel like they have a big home course advantage.

I saw Palouse Ridge last summer, wouldn't call that a links, either.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
Jason, thanks for sharing that post. It was one of the more interesting things I've read about golf course design in a while because it added the practical element of becoming a better golfer to the mix. I think this is something we tend to overlook as a test of a course's greatness.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Weersing

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
So could this be the best course on a land fill? It looks better than Liberty National.

Bayonne may have it beat. Not sure if Bayonne was on a landfill or not.

What are other good to great courses on a landfill?
Ferry Point? Harborside International?
Chicago Highlands? https://chicagohighlands.com/golf-course-architect.html

I like Lamberts Point, a 9 holer designed by Lester George. I don't like Industry Hills.

The problem with landfill courses is that there is not enough soil to top off the landfill and build interesting routing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back