News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Alameda Municipal/Chuck Corica (Earl Fry/North Course)
« on: November 27, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »
A little while back Jim Kennedy posted a 1927 routing for the Alameda Municipal course on the Maps and Routings thread.  The routing (attached below) was taken from the May 27, 1927 edition of the Oakland Tribune, and I've added the article that went with it.

The website for the Chuck Corica complex (along with a number of other sources) credits the course to William P. Bell in 1927 (http://www.alamedagolf.com/club-info/history).  Jim's routing and the article clearly indicate the course was laid out by Willie Locke, as does a comparison to a modern day aerial of the course.

May 27, 1927 Oakland Tribune -

Modern Day Aerial -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

Re: Alameda Municipal/Chuck Corica (Earl Fry/North Course)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »
A couple of additional articles discussing the beginnings of the project.

Oct. 18, 1925 Oakland Tribune -

Nov. 15, 1925 Oakland Tribune -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »
I believe it was remodeled in the 1950s.  Supposedly it was one of the busiest public courses in the country during the 50s and 60s.  Its dead flat, now infested with kikuya and eucalyptus trees along with dozens of dead redwood trees that couldn't survive the brackish water.

On a positive note, the new south course looks like its going to be a winner.  It opens in 2017.  Built by Australian Marc Logan it has sandbelt type bunkering thats going to be very unique for this area.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
Joel:

Their website notes the course was remodeled in 1967 by Desmond Muirhead.  There are a few tweaks to the routing as drawn in the 1927 article, but on the hole it looks mostly the same.  Locke's bones still seem to be there.

Sven

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
Also note there is now a nine-hole par-3 course on the property.

https://www.alamedagolf.com/no-module-layout/22-play-the-new-mif-par-three

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:08:42 PM »
Sven: 

I grew up in Alameda.  I've played the course over 1000 times.  There is nothing remotely interesting on the course other than the 15th hole. 

The current 3rd hole was the 1st until the 1950s remodel and the old clubhouse still remains for banquet functions. I do agree that Bells routing remains largely intact but it lacks little if any strategy.   

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »

Joel:

The point of the thread is that it wasn't Bell's routing, it was Locke's routing.

I'm less interested in whether or not there is anything of interest on the course than in getting the facts straight.  It would be nice to see the course's website, worldgolf.com and the numerous other sources noting this as a William P. Bell course (including the back pages of this website) get it right.

It should probably also be noted that Locke was the first pro at the course until Earl Fry took over.

Sven

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:16 AM »
Does anyone know where the original Bell attribution was sourced from?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:48:34 AM »
I believe it was remodeled in the 1950s.  Supposedly it was one of the busiest public courses in the country during the 50s and 60s.  Its dead flat, now infested with kikuya and eucalyptus trees along with dozens of dead redwood trees that couldn't survive the brackish water.

Joel
Kikuya and Eucalyptus trees may not work for you in Alameda, but it works pretty well in Pacific Palisades.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »
Anyway you slice it...the course is a Doak 2 at best in its current form.  Will be curious to see what they did with the new South Course.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
Does anyone know where the original Bell attribution was sourced from?

Cornish & Whitten, but no clue where they got it from.

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Anyway you slice it...the course is a Doak 2 at best in its current form.  Will be curious to see what they did with the new South Course.

That is true. However, it is an affordable option in an area that desperately needs some. I played there quite a few times when I lived in Oakland. The architecture was nothing that would rock your socks off. But to be able to drive 15 minutes, pay a very reasonable greens fee, and (if you went at the right time) get in a relatively quick round, was very nice.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:39:17 PM by JLahrman »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 12:00:15 PM »

That is true. However, it is an affordable option in an area that desperately needs some. I played there quite a few times when I lived in Oakland. The architecture was nothing that would rock your socks off. But to be able to drive 15 minutes, pay a very reasonably greens fee, and (if you went at the right time) get in a relatively quick round, was very nice.

Totally agreed there, but only if you could get on.  I played it probably half a dozen times, mostly cause it was always so packed and you had to show up well before dawn to try to walk on as a single.

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »

Totally agreed there, but only if you could get on.  I played it probably half a dozen times, mostly cause it was always so packed and you had to show up well before dawn to try to walk on as a single.

Was that back when golf was popular?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »

Chuck Corica certainly was.  This was back in the mid 90s when the economy was booming and Tiger was new to the scene...

Getting a weekend tee time anywhere on an affordable public course was next to impossible, so I'd show up 1 hour before dawn and hope to get out as a single ...

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »
I would go out at maybe 4 PM on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and would usually have little trouble getting around.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 01:58:36 PM »
I would go out at maybe 4 PM on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and would usually have little trouble getting around.

That is a good time to go out... with two small kids at home, I tried to always play morning golf and be back by noon.

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
That was in my pre-kid days. I've got three under age 6 now. First off and home by noon is about the only option for me. And it doesn't happen too often.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »

As I mentioned on the thread above, it was one of the most popular courses in the country going back to the 1940s.  The 50s, 60s and 70s were boom times.   I remember that in the 1970s the wait to get into the men's club was 10 years.

It had and still has a great juniors program.  Back then it was 25 rounds for $10 after 3pm.  Free golf lessons on weekends.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Regarding the question about the Bells, here is an excerpt from our report dating back to 2008:

Legacy & History

The City of Alameda enjoys one of the few golf course facilities at which both William P. Bell and his son, William F. Bell, both contributed to the design. The Bells are significant in the development of golf in the Western U.S., having left their mark on numerous courses throughout California and neighboring states. At Alameda, the Bells completed work after WWII, transforming the City’s single 18-hole course into a 36-hole facility. The original design of the North Course (now known as the Earl Fry Course) is attributed to William J. Locke. An excerpt from “Alameda at Play—A Century of Public Parks and Recreation in a Bay Area City” (Alameda Recreation and Park Department; by Woodruff Minor) is as follows:

“There had been attempts to organize a golf club in Alameda as early as 1901. The most ambitious of these unrealized schemes was the Encinal Golf and Country Club, which proposed to build an 18-hole course at the western tip of Bay Farm Island in 1922. Two years later, one of the club’s promoters, Henry P. Martine, presented the City Council with a petition signed by several hundred Alamedans, requesting that the city establish a municipal golf course.”

The book’s authors go on to explain how a feasibility study was commissioned and then resulted in the City acquiring a site for the golf course in 1925. Barley was planted on the land to assist in leaching salts from the soil. A seven member Golf Commission was formed to guide the development. In October 1925 the Commission considered golf course architects. The decision was to engage William J. Locke of San Francisco to layout the course and supervise construction.

Ultimately 178 acres was appropriated by the City of Alemeda to fulfill the idea. The cost of the land was reported to be $125,920.16. The entire development cost was reported to be $270,670.26. The area now home to the courses was originally known as “Bay Farm Island.” Historical accounts note that the land was “wasted farmland” and subject to high tidewaters. to develop an 18-hole municipal golf course.
Locke’s plan was for a 6,281-yard course of 18-holes. The course was completed in 1927 after roughly two years of construction work. Accounts explain that eucalyptus trees were soon planted to shield the course from winds. Poor soils explain the choice of eucalyptus, which do moderately well in salty soils. At opening in 1927 the facility consisted of one 18-hole course know as the Alameda Municipal Golf Course.

Earl Fry, now the namesake for the original (north) course, was appointed the first golf professional shortly after the course opened. Fry remained the head professional until his death in 1964.

After WWII the city began planning for expansion of the golf course into two courses. Property was acquired south of the original course. William Park “Billy” Bell was contracted by the city to design the second course and figure out how to integrate the existing course. According to accounts, Bell worked with his son, William F. Bell to design the second course measuring 6,325-yards, par-72. The elder Bell passed away in 1953, leaving the business to his son. Some changes were necessary on the original course to attain one central location for a new clubhouse. The Bells made significant changes to the North Course and completed planning on the South Course prior to William P. Bell’s death. The integration of the South Course to the new clubhouse area was most likely left to the younger Bell to implement. Nine holes of the new South Course opened for play in 1956, three years after the death of William P. Bell.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:10:44 AM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 11:47:47 PM »
For some reason I still get emails from the Alameda courses even though I left the Bay Area 5 years ago. Apparently the new South course is opening later this month. Anyone have any updates about it or seen it? I'm interested to see how this turns out.

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 03:38:12 AM »
JLahrman -

The new South Course is expected to open for general pubic play June 23. All I can say is expectations are very high.

https://coricapark.com/new-name-logo-and-website-coming-to-alamedas-golf-courses/

https://coricapark.com/

DT
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:41:16 AM by David_Tepper »

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »
Hopefully we can get some GCAers out there to report back after it's open. Alameda was the closest public course to me when I lived out there. As I mentioned earlier in this thread it was nothing great architecturally but it was an affordable local option in an area that needs them. I'll be interested to hear about the new course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
JLahr

I played out there a few times and it was a nice spot, even if the courses were mostly forgettable.

But to claim it'll be comparable to an Australian Sand belt course...well those are some mighty big shoes to fill, except the average joe won't know the difference anyways.

I eagerly await a few of our own to take a look-see...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back