News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Re: An unofficial list of California courses that are closed (9th update)
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »
The Lakes Course at Cottonwood in Ranch San Diego (formerly Monte Vista) has been fallow for  over 2 years now. The owner is trying to get a permit to mine the 100 feet of sand the course is built on and then build houses. Since it straddles the Sweetwater River this will be tough. 

The Friars 9 at Riverwalk in Hotel Circle has been fallow for several months, construction of housing to start next year. At least it is on higher ground between the trolley tracks and Friars Road. It will probably be 8 years before development of the Mission and Presideo 9’s starts. When the San Diego River floods and it does every 5-10 years the water stretches from I 8 to the trolley tracks; another tough sell! That is scheduled for commercial development, but a rare ground nesting bird was just discovered on the banks of the River by Mission #9.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:57:29 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Ober

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
I have heard that Moreno Valley Ranch is opening (or has opened) back up...

B.Ross

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
moreno valley ranch is reopening as an 18 hole course now named rancho del sol.

ojai valley inn was open for play as of 3 weeks ago. ventura county courses were all open before la county courses. the lompoc area courses are all open. no idea if OVI hotel is open.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
moreno valley ranch is reopening as an 18 hole course now named rancho del sol.

Looks like they got rid of the Lake 9, which for the retail golfer was probably the weakest 9 on the course, but it's been more than 20 years since I was there, so I can't recall which had the most architectural interest.  The range was always the best thing about that place.

Joel_Stewart

Added Mile Square in Fountain Valley.

astavrides

Added Mile Square in Fountain Valley.

Thanks. Classic course at Mile Square-still open. Players course at Mile Square-closed.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2021, 09:04:26 AM »
From the course website:

Due to extreme drought conditions, we are unable to maintain an 18-hole course at Barona Creek Golf Club. In an effort to conserve water and improve playing conditions, we will be transitioning to a 9-hole golf course effective July 1, 2021.

During this time, the following holes will be open: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 18. We will be offering golfers the option to play the nine holes twice, utilizing a second set of tees and holes that will be available at each green.
newmonumentsgc.com

Bill Seitz

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
This thread got me to pull up Google Maps to get a look at the aerials of some of the places that had closed.  Weirdly, it looked like the former Moreno Valley Ranch, current Rancho Del Sol was maintaining the old Lake 9. This was a bit surprising, as I thought they had let it go to seed and kept the Valley and Mountain nines as their 18 hole course.  So I checked the website, and it looks they are maintaining it......as a disc golf course! https://www.ranchodelsolgolfclub.com/disc-golf/

Kevin_Reilly

Remove Grayson Woods (nine hole course in Pleasant Hill, about 25 miles from San Francisco) from the list.  Site of so many fun rounds with my kids when they were young.

https://pioneerpublishers.com/new-owners-hoping-to-restore-luster-to-grayson-woods-golf-course/

Typical shot by the boys "back in the day"...tempus fugit.

https://youtu.be/2GVcT7Cih40
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 07:41:29 PM by Kevin_Reilly »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2024, 11:33:23 AM »
Add Franklin Canyon (Hercules, CA...reasonably close to Concord/Pleasant Hill) which is closing in May.  To be replaced by of all things an RV park:

https://www.ci.hercules.ca.us/government/community-development/development-projects/franklin-canyon/golf-course-rv-resort

David_Tepper

« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2024, 12:29:15 PM »
Kevin -

Bummer about Franklin Canyon. A long drive from San Francisco but I played there a bit 40+ years ago.

DT
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:43:16 PM by David_Tepper »

Jeff Segol

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2024, 07:35:11 PM »
That area is kind of a golf wasteland now, given Franklin Canyon closing following the previous closure of Delta View in Pittsburg. I think there is still a course open in Antioch, but mostly you'd be stuck going to Concord, Walnut Creek or Brentwood.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2024, 06:59:47 PM »
I haven't updated the list in a few years (nor been on this site for a while) but will make the changes at some point in the near future.

Any others, please submit.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2024, 12:52:45 AM »
I played Franklin Canyon today, and it was green, but in pretty rough shape with regards to drainage. I really enjoyed the 5th, 11th, 13th, and 14th. I got the feel that it's a very Hercules/Martinez locals' spot. It's a bummer to see a humble muni go away.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2024, 11:26:36 AM »
The NYT today published an expansive article about golf courses that have closed and were converted to open space/other uses.  San Geronimo in Marin County, CA was prominently featured.  The opening paragraphs from the article (ignore the use of "sand trap" for bunker:

There was scraggly grass in one sand trap and wooden blocks and a toy castle in another, evidence of children at play. People were walking their dogs on the fairway, which was looking rather ragged and unkempt. This was only to be expected.

Nowadays, these grounds are mowed just twice a year, and haven’t been doused with pesticides or rodenticides since 2018, which was when this 157-acre stretch of land stopped being the San Geronimo Golf Course, and began a journey toward becoming wild, or at least wilder, once again.

A small number of shuttered golf courses around the country have been bought by land trusts, municipalities and nonprofit groups and transformed into nature preserves, parks and wetlands. Among them are sites in Detroit, Pennsylvania, Colorado, the Finger Lakes of upstate New York, and at least four in California.

“We quickly recognized the high restoration value, the conservation value, and the public access recreational value,” said Guillermo Rodriguez, California state director with the nonprofit Trust for Public Land, which bought the San Geronimo course in Marin County for $8.9 million in 2018 and renamed it San Geronimo Commons.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2024, 11:28:19 AM »
Darn GCA is so out of date.  Sorry the above excerpt is unreadable.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2024, 11:50:22 AM »
Here you are Kevin:

There was scraggly grass in one sand trap and wooden blocks and a toy castle in another, evidence of children at play. People were walking their dogs on the fairway, which was looking rather ragged and unkempt. This was only to be expected.

Nowadays, these grounds are mowed just twice a year, and haven’t been doused with pesticides or rodenticides since 2018, which was when this 157-acre stretch of land stopped being the San Geronimo Golf Course, and began a journey toward becoming wild, or at least wilder, once again.

A small number of shuttered golf courses around the country have been bought by land trusts, municipalities and nonprofit groups and transformed into nature preserves, parks and wetlands. Among them are sites in Detroit, Pennsylvania, Colorado, the Finger Lakes of upstate New York, and at least four in California.

“We quickly recognized the high restoration value, the conservation value, and the public access recreational value,” said Guillermo Rodriguez, California state director with the nonprofit Trust for Public Land, which bought the San Geronimo course in Marin County for $8.9 million in 2018 and renamed it San Geronimo Commons.

David_Tepper

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2024, 07:11:31 PM »
Darn GCA is so out of date.  Sorry the above excerpt is unreadable.

Kevin, when that happens, modify the post and increase the size of the font. It generally works for me. I have had similar issues with copied texts.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Greg Hohman

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2024, 03:50:43 PM »
Pine Glen (1961), one of three courses at Singing Hills at Sycuan, owned by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation, has lost to soccer. From the website: “In 2023, the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation made a historic investment to bring Major League Soccer to the city of San Diego. The team, San Diego FC, will be headquartered at Singing Hills Golf Club. Their training facility, offices, and the Right to Dream Academy will be housed on a 28-acre site comprised of the former Pine Glen course.”

I don’t remember anything about the 18 par-3 holes, played once 10+ years ago.
newmonumentsgc.com

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2024, 06:59:28 PM »
Pine Glen (1961), one of three courses at Singing Hills at Sycuan, owned by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation, has lost to soccer. From the website: “In 2023, the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation made a historic investment to bring Major League Soccer to the city of San Diego. The team, San Diego FC, will be headquartered at Singing Hills Golf Club. Their training facility, offices, and the Right to Dream Academy will be housed on a 28-acre site comprised of the former Pine Glen course.”

I don’t remember anything about the 18 par-3 holes, played once 10+ years ago.

I haven't played it in about 30 years, but it was a nice quality course and had some holes up to about 180—definitely not just a pitch and putt. One unusual feature was that after the 3rd hole, I think, you had to walk a couple of hundred yards to play 4-6, then the same couple hundred yards back after those three. The rest of the course was an easy walk. Also the 1st hole was brutal, at 206 from the back tees to a slightly raised green!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2024, 07:34:24 PM »
I just realized another course that never made it on here: the 9-hole, par-3 University City Village Golf Course in San Diego, just above Route 52. It closed at least 5 years ago. It's one of the three courses where I first learned the game, along with Mission Bay and Presidio Hills.

UCVGC also had an unusual feature in that the last green was about half a mile from the first tee. The routing was approximately a very elongated W, just going in one direction, with no carts or anything like that. When you finished you just walked back along one of the streets.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2024, 12:50:51 PM »
Matt:
I wish I'd noticed it.

Joel:
Pine Glen (18 par-3s), San Diego, 2023.
Town Park Villas Golf Course (9 par-3s), fka University City Village, San Diego, 2019.
Mesquite Golf & Country Club, Palm Springs, 2022.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 12:54:17 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back