News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

RIP - Jamey Bryan
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:22:01 PM »
I received a Facebook notice from Cissy Bryan Terlizzi that her Brother Jamey Bryan has passed away. 

Jamey was one of our long time Golf Club Atlas contributers, and attended many GCA gatherings.

Jamey was a kind gentleman and gracious host to many of us.  He was one of the most unassuming and surprising high quality golfers I had ever met.  And, he could definitely hang in there late into an evening of enjoying some adult beverages only to show up on the first tee the next morning and shoot the lights out with an impressive round of golf.

I'm sure many of us who knew him have our own special memories. 

RIP Jamey. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

MCirba

Re: RIP - Jamey Bryan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
What terribly sad news.  Jamey gave me the grand tour of Camden a few years back and we had a great time.  He was quite the southern gentleman.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:33:29 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
Just saw this on FB also.  Nice guy, very funny, got to know him a little bit at a couple of Dixie cups, Hilton head thaw out events, and various other gatherings.  Sorry to hear this sad news.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
Damn.  Sad news.  Loved the time I spent with him. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »
My condolences to the family. I only knew him through Dixie Cup gathering, and have good memories of him.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 09:29:49 PM »
What terribly sad news.  Jamey gave me the gtlrand tour of Camden a few years back and we had a great time.  He was quite the southern gentleman.

Ditto
Very sad news
RIP Jamey
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 11:12:28 PM »
RIP Jamey.  Condolences to the family....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ron Csigo

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:57 PM »
Met Jamey at the Hilton Head Thaw Out and reconnected the following year at the Myrtle Beach Thaw Out.  We shared a few cool ones but I'll never forget him showing up at the Haig Point ferry with only seconds to spare with a Butterfinger and Bloody Mary in hand.  A true Southern gentleman!  RIP Jamey!

Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 12:20:43 AM »
I hosted Jamey at Musgrove Mill a few years ago. I really enjoyed his company and we had such a great day that I was sad when it is over. I will hold his family in my prayers.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »
Very sorry to see this news.  AEKDB Jamey.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 05:05:26 AM »
Indeed, very sad news to hear of Jamey's passing. My condolences to his family & friends.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:22:42 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Jamey was a great guy to be around.  I will always have fond memories of hanging out with him during the Thaw Outs over the years. Condolences to his family.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »
That good old song of Wah-hoo-wah–we’ll sing it o’er and o’er
It cheers our hearts and warms our blood to hear them shout and roar
We come from old Virginia, where all is bright and gay
Let’s all join hands and give a yell for the dear old UVA.

WAHOOWA, WAHOOWA
UNI-V, VIR-GIN-I-A
HOO-RAH-RAY, HOO-RAH-RAY
RAY! RAY! U-V-A!

RIP - Jamey
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about, Jamey. Terrible news.
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
Terribly saddened to learn of Jamey's passing. We've lost a good one, ladies and gentlemen. A true lover of the game, its history and the camaraderie of our sport. I've been looking through some photo albums this morning and am finding Jamey's smiling face throughout. First time I met Jamey was at my first GCA event, the Dixie Cup at LongShadow back in 2008. Dick Daley was in our foursome, along with Mike Christensen. What I remember most was his straw hat and that he played lights out golf.

I got to know him better at the Dixie Cup in Aiken, we had a few at the bar in the Hotel, along with Anthony Gray, DDS, ADD, GCA. Lots of laughs that evening.

Jamey was always one of the first to sign up to play in the Thaw Out, having made the trip to Myrtle Beach when we were at Whitty's house and that great Tavern, dubbed the PIT. Man that was fun. And the Hilton Head event, where, as Cheech mentioned above, Jamey's "breakfast of champions" became legend.

Here is a pic from one of the dinners on HHI, Jamey is sitting next to Mrs. Bogey Hendren:

And another, of our group at Haig Point. Jamey is right there in the middle:

Jamey had signed up to play in the upcoming Thaw Out on Hilton Head. I am certain our group will pay tribute to our friend as best we know how - by playing golf, sharing a few beers, laughing out loud, and definitely enjoying a breakfast of champions.

May he rest in peace.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 11:15:28 AM »
I had a great time with Jamey when he hosted me at Camden CC on my way to Myrtle Beach. We had a great time that afternoon. Thanks Jamey, and Godspeed. May the Earth rest lightly upon you.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Jason Mandel

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
I got to know Jamey through the years of Southeast GCA Events, Dixie Cups, Thaw Outs as well a Ballyhack event several years ago. He was a great guy that didn't have a bad bone in his body. He liked to drink his whiskey, smoke his tobacco and play lots of golf.

I shared a cabin with Jamey at the Ballyhack event and can still picture him walking in with his large bottle of Makers, which was significantly less full by the time the weekend was over.

After golf one night a bunch of us were outside having drinks by the fire pit telling stories, and Jamey told perhaps one of the funnier stories I've ever heard, which involved him falling asleep on a Christmas Eve plane ride home in the back of a commuter jet, only to awaken to the plane being dark and empty. I believe he had to call 911 when have someone get him off the plane. I'm laughing out loud as I type this and can recall him telling the story.

We will certainly be sure to have several drinks in Jamey's honor this year at the Thaw Out.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:45:34 PM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve Wilson

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »
I witnessed a 75 at Carolina Country Club when we Dixie Cupped there. RIP, Jamey. Sorry to see you go.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Billsteele

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »
I remember playing a delightful round with Jamey and Mike Whittaker at the Patriot in South Carolina on the way to the Dixie Cup at Palmetto. Afterwards, we had a drink in the clubhouse and I was witness to Jamey's prowess as a storyteller.  Jamey had a great zest for life, golf and whiskey. Here's hoping that in the afterlife he's teeing it up with a cocktail at the ready. Safe travels.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Jason, I heard that airplane story, too, and it was hilarious.

Jamey loved great golf courses and was very attached to Camden.  I never made it to play there, despite his repeated invitations.

Jamey made a two on #11 during a George Cup (2011, I think), which was the clear highlight of a season-high score (high 80s, I think).  He hit a lot of solid shots the few times I played with him.

His affinity for his alma mater was unmatched.  I think of him as a happy, educated man and cannot picture him without a smile on his face.

Jamey knew that golf is a game to be played among friends.  I'm thankful to have known him.

WW

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
Jamey knew that golf is a game to be played among friends.  I'm thankful to have known him.

Great sentiment given the sad news. I also knew Jamey briefly, but all the comments were what I witnessed of him. Condolences and prayers for family and friends.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »
Jamey will really be missed. 

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »
Jamey was passionate about everything he chose to embrace, golf, UVA, Camden Country Club or a cocktail after golf.

I too remember Jamey telling us that story and howling along... "well it was Christmas Eve and I was on my way back ...."

RIP, WAHOOWA
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »
Jamey was a great guy and a ton of fun. Condolences to his family and friends.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back