News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Re: 2016-17 Winter Tour: Braid's Brilliance at WELSHPOOL GC
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »

Mark,

Ffestiniog closed a few years ago. I drove past it on holiday but there is not much sign of it now.

Keith

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
In the general Mid-Wales area are also Knighton and Newtown, both 9-holers by Vardon are quite close to Welshpool as is the 9-holer by Braid at Machynlleth. And there’s Llandrindod Wells, an 18-holer by Vardon not that far away either. Plus there’s 18 at Builth Wells and 18 at Llanymyneth, which is the course that famously straddles the Wales-England border.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 03:32:42 PM »
ATB

What did you make of the greens?

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:53:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
Sean,
The grass coverage, firmness and roll were fine. The speed was little on the slow side but quite acceptable given the early time of year. I would imagine that during a dry period they could get really firm, bouncy and rapid.
As to playing shots onto them, well generally they’re on the small side and some are, or could be complete rascals!
We were often tip-toeing approach shots landing them well short of the front-to-back ones (like 1, 5, 11), whilst we lacked enough guts to fly them all the way onto the table-top/pulpit/infinity/skyline ones (like 4, 13, 14). As to the evil ridgeback ones (like 8 and 17), we played them conservatively. I did notice that some of the greens had some really cunning little areas half-hidden away which looked really challenging to play into (like back-left on 2, 8 and 9).
I did observe that some of the greens, 5 and 17 immediately come to mind, seemed to be located within square shaped mound edged areas about 30 yds square in size, that looked like they were once perhaps fenced-off sheep pens. The mounding of the squares was quite slight on the ground, a few inches to maybe max a foot in height. They are just about visible in some of the above photos.
As an aside, I think someone once opinioned herein that James Braid must be one of, if not the, most underrated architect. He certainly did one hell of a job at Welshpool.
It’s definitely a course that architects, shapers and the like plus GCA enthusiasts should visit. Combined with a look at Kington and maybe Church Stretton, Llandrindod Wells and possibly Machynlleth too it would make a terrific trip.
Atb
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:48:02 PM by Thomas Dai »

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
Thanks David.  Having played Minch Old fairly soon after Welshpool, do you think the difference in greens interest is remarkable?  I wonder why Welshpool's greens were built this way?  If I didn't know it was a Braid course, I would have said someone like Colt designed the greens.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Welshpool certainly has a remarkable set of greens. A real variety. Some significantly built-up, others draped over a ridge and a couple at near ground level. Bit like an inland Perranporth in many ways. I wonder if Strutt was involved in the construction of both courses?
Perhaps not enough use of ‘shoulders’ within the greens to be Colt-like? Maybe that’s construction related though, not just budget but being a Welsh hilltop with limited depth of soil and hard rock underneath rather than more easily moveable sand or earth.
Pondering the greens and the course in general a bit more it’s the sheer construction effort that interests me.
Thin soil with rock immediately below and on severe natural slopes too. I wonder if any dynamite blasting was involved? A significant physical job I would imagine given that it was probably only men with hand tools and horses and dragpans etc that were used. Lots of fodder needed for the horses too.
The narrow track up from the main road is a pretty significant climb even now in a modern vehicle so what it must have been like nearly 100 yrs ago, wow!

I know that a couple of architects/shapers who post herein have been to Welshpool and I’d love to hear their thoughts on the construction process (and also on the course in general).

Incidentally, my new term to describe courses such as Welshpool and Minch’ Old and Kington and Church Stretton and Machynlleth and Mulranny and the like is “fancy free pure golf”! Sounds like the title to a new thread!

For those who wish to see a view of some of the course click here - https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.65591,-3.228383,146.81h,-15.28p,1z

Atb

Edit - some later added photos of WGC in the 1920's -

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:04:36 PM by Thomas Dai »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 05:19:27 AM »
Given mention of James Braid courses on another thread I thought this thread needed a bump especially in view of hopefully this years Buda at it and Kington.
Below is the splendid par-3 8th.
atb

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 06:54:25 AM »
Welshpool has altered the hole numbering! The old 7th will now be the 1st. This change makes complete sense.

I am also told the club has been whacking back the bracken. Sounds like a dirty song.

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2020, 05:27:32 AM »
Welshpool has altered the hole numbering! The old 7th will now be the 1st. This change makes complete sense.

I am also told the club has been whacking back the bracken. Sounds like a dirty song.

Ciao
Is that a reversion to Braid's original numbering?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

Re: 2016-17 Winter Tour: Braid's Brilliance at WELSHPOOL GC New
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 05:45:16 AM »
Might be a couple of slight modifications to some tees and thus shot angles but essentially its the James Braid routing.
I'm in touch with the Head Greenkeeper at WGC so he knows to expect a few folks and will hopefully have some suitably 'friendly' :) hole positions in play!!!
Enjoy ... and take a camera.
atb

Here for posterity is a Bernard Darwin piece about Welshpool (credit M Whitehead on Twitter) -

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:51:31 AM by Thomas Dai »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »
[ ... and take a camera.
The thing most forgotten on BUDA (and other golf) trips.  Must pack tonight....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 01:35:02 AM »

Ciao

Mark

The map on the 1st page of this thread clearly shows the 1st hole starting in front of the house. When I played the course that hole was the 7th.

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: Braid's Brilliance at WELSHPOOL GC
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:51 AM »
I hope the Pests enjoyed Welshpool.  Truth be told, the course isn't quite what it should be when the wind blows from the north, especially #s 3 & 4.  It is probably the case that those who played the PM game gained a better understanding of Welshpool's demands.  My ass was kicked, but I remain highly impressed with the design given the rugged terrain.  See the updated tour.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63739.msg1518730.html#msg1518730

Ciao

James Reader

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 02:15:41 PM »
I’m really sorry that I wasn’t able to be there.  Looking at this is a reminder of what I was missing.

It also makes me think that you really need to see Ogden/Halifax at some point, Sean.  I played it with Adam Uttley a few weeks ago and we were agree that it‘s the kind of course that is right up your alley!

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
I’m really sorry that I wasn’t able to be there.  Looking at this is a reminder of what I was missing.

It also makes me think that you really need to see Ogden/Halifax at some point, Sean.  I played it with Adam Uttley a few weeks ago and we were agree that it‘s the kind of course that is right up your alley!

James

You were missed at Buda.  Halifax is on my list!

Ciao

James Reader

Re: Braid's Brilliance: WELSHPOOL GC
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
I was sorry i wasn’t able to be there.  I’ll have to wait for next year at Cavendish!

If and when you do get up to Yorkshire, give me a shout. 

Tony_Muldoon

Re: 2016-17 Winter Tour: Braid's Brilliance at WELSHPOOL GC 1-13
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »

Going back to the micro-undulations - these make for some interesting lies, in the low pockets especially and which prove troublesome when trying to play pitch and run shots into the greens.  A number of times a promising chip can make a sharp turn or pop up and come up short.  Most will cry 'unfair' but it all adds to the charm and challenge at Welshpool.

Speedy identifies my biggest gripe with the course. Too often you have to aim for a bounce onto the green which could go anywhere! Some work in your favour, some less so but it did seem most noticeable here compared to the other local courses. Apart form that I have to praise the course and the conditioning.

We were in the first group off following a solo who like us, had obviously never played the course before. The minimal signage meant he played straight for the 13th green.  We figured it out and as we walked upto the 2nd green he appeared from nowhere and helpfully a member of the greenstaff was there to point him towards the third tee.
Clearly we were "not in Kansas"! ;D

In the routing before the current, 11 (impossible really short 3) and 12 ( heroic par 4) were 17 and 18. What a finish! Even the scratch golfer would have been happy with 8 shots. 2 holes that make my selection for an all Wales compendium,

They made us most welcome and I can't wait to play it with the wind from another direction.   For anyone who's played most of  the obvious GB&I courses this part of the world is where you need to head for next.
Let's make GCA grate again!

William_G

Re: Braid's Brilliance: WELSHPOOL GC
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
very nice
never been to that area of the UK
It's all about the golf!

Sean_A

Re: 2016-17 Winter Tour: Braid's Brilliance at WELSHPOOL GC 1-13
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2020, 03:25:56 AM »

Going back to the micro-undulations - these make for some interesting lies, in the low pockets especially and which prove troublesome when trying to play pitch and run shots into the greens.  A number of times a promising chip can make a sharp turn or pop up and come up short.  Most will cry 'unfair' but it all adds to the charm and challenge at Welshpool.

Speedy identifies my biggest gripe with the course. Too often you have to aim for a bounce onto the green which could go anywhere! Some work in your favour, some less so but it did seem most noticeable here compared to the other local courses. Apart form that I have to praise the course and the conditioning.

We were in the first group off following a solo who like us, had obviously never played the course before. The minimal signage meant he played straight for the 13th green.  We figured it out and as we walked upto the 2nd green he appeared from nowhere and helpfully a member of the greenstaff was there to point him towards the third tee.
Clearly we were "not in Kansas"! ;D

In the routing before the current, 11 (impossible really short 3) and 12 ( heroic par 4) were 17 and 18. What a finish! Even the scratch golfer would have been happy with 8 shots. 2 holes that make my selection for an all Wales compendium,

They made us most welcome and I can't wait to play it with the wind from another direction.   For anyone who's played most of  the obvious GB&I courses this part of the world is where you need to head for next.

I am happy you enjoyed the course. Welshpool is tougher than the card suggests. The set of short holes is remarkable and remarkably difficult. It's a very difficult walk, but offers a load of grand golf.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back