News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Lipstate

Golf in Italy
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
Just back from vacation in Italy. No golf for me just wine, fantastic cuisine, and sightseeing this time around Naples and the Amalfi coast. I always wondered why golf just doen't seem to register on the radar screen.

Tuscany and areas of southern Italy and Sicily (although not the Amalfi Coast - no place to put a course between the mountains and the sea) certainly have an abundance of sunshine and beautiful vistas yet golf courses are relatively few and far between. Conditioning on available courses seems questionable at best according to reviews I've read.  If I were living in Europe it seems a golfing vacation to sunny and picturesque Italy would be the perfect tonic to cold, gray fall, winter and spring days.

Any thoughts and why golf shouldn't be more attractive?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Golf in Italy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Historically it's been partly culture and partly Italian beurocracy I believe. And also because their tourism industry isn't one that needs a huge golf boost.

But there are a couple of classic courses near Turin, a few upscale modern builds arriving plus they have the Ryder Cup of course. Also with a few Italian golfers coming through, things are bound to change.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
I also have just returned from Amalfi Coast and spent a couple weeks there for second time in two years.  From these trips and previous tour around there in 2002, having hiked a great deal above the coast line, and auto toured extensively in that area,  I on found a few places where the soil and terrain would be compatible.  The best I saw were the sandy dunes and seaside plains south of Salerno. 

But as Ally notes, the golf culture there is non-existent.  The notorious Italian bureaucracy would be monumental to overcome because not only the state government, but provincial and local codes and customs would be a nightmare.  And, the way parcels of land are owned, assembling enough for a course lay-out would be impossible and priceless.   Also, the entire coast is a UNESCO World Heritage zone. 

I don't know much about the northern Italy scene.  But I doubt that the land ownership hurdles are much different. 

I can say that my family and friends around Ravello/ Scala, Amalfi loved seeing my photos of my golf excursions to Ireland and Scotland.  They all seem to desire to vacation in Ireland.  So, while golf is a strange pass-time to these Calcio crazed sports fans, they like the wild Irish coastal  atmosphere.  It is just that most of them never had a golf club in their hands....  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
Leave the gun, take the cannoli

JMEvensky

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »

Leave the gun, take the cannoli

Any Godfather quote deserves a +1.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »
Italy, especially southern Italy, was a very poor country for much of the 20th century. Much of the golf that is there was brought by British visitors to Italy or British ex-pats living there. Since the Brits spent a lot of time in Florence, Rome, Venice and around Lake Como, that is where the oldest golf courses are located. 

Top 50 Courses in Italy:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/golf-courses/continental-europe/italy

It looks like there was a fair amount of new course construction in the 1970's & 80's.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:36:39 PM by David_Tepper »

Brad LeClair

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
I was lucky enough to vacation in Sicily and played both courses at the Verdura resort designed by Kyle Phillips which seem to be moderately well known on this forum.  The land they have is perfect for golf and I too was surprised there aren't more similar themed resorts but found the overall experience highly enjoyable and would recommend it to anyone visiting the region.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
I have played quite a few (20+/-) of the many courses around the Milan and Como area. There is a mixture of some poor courses but are also some very good courses including one of Jack's. It is not an area I would consider for a golf holiday but if in the area there is some decent golf to be found. Added to the food, culture and scenery it certainly is an attractive area at the right time of the year.

Jon

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
But is Spain all that different when it comes to bureaucracy, etc?  Why does Spain have so much more golf than Italy? Is it because there were/are far more Brits holidaying in Spain compared to Italy?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back