News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Mike Tyson, on Golf Course Architecture
« on: October 07, 2016, 08:03:20 PM »
"Everybody has a plan...until they get punched in the mouth"

Discuss.

Jason Thurman

Re: Mike Tyson, on Golf Course Architecture
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
Most golfers aren't good enough to get punched in the mouth, and instead trip over the ropes.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
I have tried and tried for a number at Yale. I what I need to do on the front and the back and on mini runs within the round, especially the starting 4.

Then I take my customary double on the 1st and start pressing. The next major decision is whether to walk in after 4 or play "fun" golf.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 09:01:42 AM »
Sounds like a good description of Oakmont, or Muirfield, or possibly Winged Foot.  They all punch you in the mouth on the first hole.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
In thinking abut what the average golfer wants (and why), I'm certain that without the risk of a punch in the mouth you don't have a very good golf course (and you'd have a terrible boxing match).  I'd go so far to say that the risk of a punch in the mouth has to be there on every hole (i.e. just like in every round).  But what kind of punch is the thing. Jabs are good, right hand uppercuts maybe not so much. I think many of us would much rather fight Sugar Ray Leonard with 10 oz gloves than Mike Tyson using 6 ounces; 99.9% of us would still get beat, but at least we wouldn't get killed! But on the other hand, maybe I'm wrong about that too: Mark B obviously loves Yale (as others love Oakmont and Muirfield) even though they are rocked off their feet -- and their plans go out the window -- with the very first punch.     

Muhammad Ali would be a "10" as a golf course, at least for the skilled golfer; so too would Sugar Ray Robinson. I think Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis might be "9s" (for those who like an Oakmont experience).  I'm not sure I'd want to play Roberto Duran or Thomas Hearn -- not heavyweights, but tough as nails and unrelenting. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:33:31 AM by Peter Pallotta »

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
I think most people are inclined to blame the punch on the course. Not many are objective enough to say perhaps it was his choice, and even fewer are capable of discerning the truth.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »

"A man that’s a friend of everyone is an enemy to himself,' " he also said.

James Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
I disagree.  There's no formula for the first few holes.  Lots of great courses start off with some friendly holes and lots start with brutality.  I personally favor an easy first hole because it seems more inviting. 

Streamsong Red is a good example of a course where the opener has ruined many a newcomers round.  I have made bogey every time and been happy to get into the rest of the course. 

TOC, Merion, Dornoch, and many others start easy and you look forward to the round even more because of it. 

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
In thinking abut what the average golfer wants (and why), I'm certain that without the risk of a punch in the mouth you don't have a very good golf course (and you'd have a terrible boxing match).  I'd go so far to say that the risk of a punch in the mouth has to be there on every hole (i.e. just like in every round).  But what kind of punch is the thing. Jabs are good, right hand uppercuts maybe not so much. I think many of us would much rather fight Sugar Ray Leonard with 10 oz gloves than Mike Tyson using 6 ounces; 99.9% of us would still get beat, but at least we wouldn't get killed! But on the other hand, maybe I'm wrong about that too: Mark B obviously loves Yale (as others love Oakmont and Muirfield) even though they are rocked off their feet -- and their plans go out the window -- with the very first punch.     

Muhammad Ali would be a "10" as a golf course, at least for the skilled golfer; so too would Sugar Ray Robinson. I think Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis might be "9s" (for those who like an Oakmont experience).  I'm not sure I'd want to play Roberto Duran or Thomas Hearn -- not heavyweights, but tough as nails and unrelenting.

Where does Marvin Hagler fall in all this?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 07:39:39 AM »
Is Tom Fazio the Oscar de la Hoya of golf course architects?

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:43 AM »
 8)  Does he prefer a little chianti with that nip of ear?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »
Sounds like a good description of Oakmont, or Muirfield, or possibly Winged Foot.  They all punch you in the mouth on the first hole.

As does Ballyhack.

WW

Matt MacIver

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
Hagler is a solid 8, I think - but the top 100 courses blow away the top 100 boxers, I'd think. 

Since no one has said it, I will: Rocky is an 11!  Just like (fill in the blank) golf course. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back