News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Warren

Gil Hanse unknown project?
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »
Was listening to Shane Bacon's podcast this morning and he had Gil Hanse on.  Before he spoke to him, Shane mentioned a project that Gil can't comment on, so he wasn't going to ask him about it.  It's possible I missed the discussion of this project on here as I have been mostly out for the last few months.  Can anyone comment on if they know anything about this project?

Rees Milikin

Re: Gil Hanse unknown project?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »
Was listening to Shane Bacon's podcast this morning and he had Gil Hanse on.  Before he spoke to him, Shane mentioned a project that Gil can't comment on, so he wasn't going to ask him about it.  It's possible I missed the discussion of this project on here as I have been mostly out for the last few months.  Can anyone comment on if they know anything about this project?

No comment

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
I would think all of the top architects have deals in which they can't or won't discuss until a contract is signed and permitting is complete.

My guess is Gil has 3-5 of these type projects that are in the pipeline.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
I would think all of the top architects have deals in which they can't or won't discuss until a contract is signed and permitting is complete.

Yes, but these days we are all lucky to have more than a couple in that situation at any given time.  There's just not that much going on.

I suspect I know the project they were talking about, because Gil beat me out for the job.  But it's not a sure thing to happen yet, anyway.

I wish these things would not come up until they are ready to come up.  My project with Michael Jordan fell apart a year ago when the rumors about it scuttled the land deal and the landowner upped his price to $25 million because Jordan was involved.  Now somebody else is going to develop it ... with a different designer.  So thanks to all the people who asked about it here   :P

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »
I think it about his part in designing one of my gems--- Odessa National ;D
AKA Mayday

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
Apparently he has the gig to redo Royal Sydney, but I don't think that is secret ,so probably not the one.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:14:43 AM »
If your Odessa National is in Texas, I can guarantee there will be no tree removal necessary.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »
I know of one but it has been mentioned in a couple of places.  We been working/planning/ on one close by for a couple of years and if I am correct then it could be a new area of destination golf.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam Warren

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
There were a couple mentioned during the interview.  I think Royal Sydney was one of them.  He mentioned they have 3 projects in the pipeline, but none in the ground.  All 3 could be in the ground by end of September according to him.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »

Yes, but these days we are all lucky to have more than a couple in that situation at any given time.  There's just not that much going on.

I suspect I know the project they were talking about, because Gil beat me out for the job.  But it's not a sure thing to happen yet, anyway.

I wish these things would not come up until they are ready to come up.  My project with Michael Jordan fell apart a year ago when the rumors about it scuttled the land deal and the landowner upped his price to $25 million because Jordan was involved.  Now somebody else is going to develop it ... with a different designer.  So thanks to all the people who asked about it here   :P

Tom,

Sorry, but one of the pitfalls of today's world of digital speed is the dissemination of information-rumor-innuendo in near real-time. That horse is out of the proverbial barn.

Do you really think people asking about it here revealed what the dozens of Bears Club members didn't already talk about on a local level for months preceding it's mention on this site?? Really? I'd be more than happy to wager you a pint that the first sniff the landowner had of MJ's involvement came from the North Palm Beach area!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:20:35 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
  Do you really think people asking about it here revealed what the dozens of Bears Club members didn't already talk about on a local level for months preceding it's mention on this site?? Really? I'd be more than happy to wager you a pint that the first sniff the landowner had of MJ's involvement came from the North Palm Beach area!

Steve:

I don't have need to be making any wagers at the moment.  But the proposed deal sure fell apart quickly once it hit the golf magazines and Golf Club Atlas.

If the deal Gil couldn't talk about is the one I'm thinking of, I can't say anything about it, because I'm under a Non-Disclosure Agreement about it.  Just curious:  if these rumors are unstoppable, why do you suppose potential clients bother having us all sign an NDA?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »
Actually, its pretty sad that anyone needs to request a NDA.  Most architects have the sense just to not talk about a potential clients business for all the obvious reasons.

Back when NGF surveyed architects to see the projects on the boards, you could tell from the lists that some guys put on every project they might have a shot at. I was always on the other end of the spectrum.  I would never list a project until it was built or under construction, for fear someone, somehow, would take it away.  But mostly, because I respected the clients right to inform the public as they saw fit.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »
 if these rumors are unstoppable, why do you suppose potential clients bother having us all sign an NDA?

The NDA gives them recourse if a bidder not selected decides to do something silly because they didn't get the job. It's not perfect by any means, but from the money side of the fence, it's the best they can do.

Of course, if one were truly motivated to do so, one could let the cat out of the bag and probably get away with it. The NDA simply gives those receiving the information additional incentive (beyond general professionalism) to stay quiet.

The problem with any NDA is that typically far more people end up with the information than have actually signed an NDA. And the info is valuable- even if only to give someone a feeling that he has some inside scoop on something. As such, word tends to leak out.

Finally, as someone with absolutely no inside information on the golf industry of any kind- if the Hanse project in question is in any way related to one of the top dozen or so topics on this board currently- it might be the world's worst kept secret.

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
Actually, its pretty sad that anyone needs to request a NDA.  Most architects have the sense just to not talk about a potential clients business for all the obvious reasons.

Back when NGF surveyed architects to see the projects on the boards, you could tell from the lists that some guys put on every project they might have a shot at. I was always on the other end of the spectrum.  I would never list a project until it was built or under construction, for fear someone, somehow, would take it away.  But mostly, because I respected the clients right to inform the public as they saw fit.

Jeff,

It's funny...back when Golf Course News Magazine was rolling archies pr firms would be listing every project they had a call from.  Now you don't even want anyone to know what town or country  you are flying to if you see someone in the airport.  I'm with you on not mentioning anything.   
That's why I have not mentioned the 4 new projects I have in Dallas to anyone until now ;D ;D ;D ;D

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
Well played Mr. Young...well played.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:15:30 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 12:43:39 AM »
Re the NDA, I am reminded of how plaintiff's lawyer Gerry Spence dealt with a confidential settlement agreement:" Some have said it was the largest settlement in the history of the state, but I have never said that."

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »
Jeff,

It's funny...back when Golf Course News Magazine was rolling archies pr firms would be listing every project they had a call from.  Now you don't even want anyone to know what town or country  you are flying to if you see someone in the airport.  I'm with you on not mentioning anything.   
That's why I have not mentioned the 4 new projects I have in Dallas to anyone until now ;D ;D ;D ;D

Everyone else is working here, so why not you? LOL.  Meanwhile, I am all over the Midwest, and some out west.  (That is as close as I will narrow it down.....even though I have contracts!)   Closest one I have to home is out in East Texas Piney Woods, a site that would make an Atlantan like you right at home.....I guess its true - you are a bigger expert when you come from out of town.

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:01 AM »
.....I guess its true - you are a bigger expert when you come from out of town.

Jeff,

The way I read it you also have to have a briefcase and be from out of town... ;D

Paul Jones

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »

Jeff,

The way I read it you also have to have a briefcase and be from out of town... ;D

Mike,

You are old school... it is now a PowerPoint Presentation and be from out of town...
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »

Jeff,

Mike,

You are old school... it is now a PowerPoint Presentation and be from out of town...

Yeah, but you still got to carry the new, lightweight projector, in a briefcase or not.  And, by the way, its no longer considered cool to use power point.  You look too much like others, and there are other options available.  Or, you can use it, just not in the way it was designed to be used.  As in, every presentation has to be "TED worthy" these days.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:20:30 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
On Instagram, Gil posted a photo of the Great Wall of China; he's doing a site visit for his project at Phoenix Valley, located north of Beijing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKIvClmDZDj/?taken-by=gil_hanse

http://www.perkinseastman.com/project_2400367_phoenix_valley_golf_course
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
On Instagram, Gil posted a photo of the Great Wall of China; he's doing a site visit for his project at Phoenix Valley, located north of Beijing.

I hope he found a site on the good side of the wall...

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »

Those two cannot refer to the same project - the item on the Perkins Eastman site talks about a project near Haikou, which is the capital of Hainan Island, while Gil's post talks about being north of Beijing.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back