News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Gearhart
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2022, 01:28:06 PM »
Whatever the weather, I was surprised by the significant number of top-notch, superb, and almost unique in the United States golf holes due largely to the cool use of the heaving,,weaving subtle twists and turns of the terrain on a micro-level.

Not sure I've seen terrain like this since I played The Old Course back in 1985, even at Bandon.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2022, 02:00:41 PM »
Whatever the weather, I was surprised by the significant number of top-notch, superb, and almost unique in the United States golf holes due largely to the cool use of the heaving,,weaving subtle twists and turns of the terrain on a micro-level.

Not sure I've seen terrain like this since I played The Old Course back in 1985, even at Bandon.

It's a mini version of what you would find at Astoria just up the road. 

There are a number of really fun shots out there, the drive into the valley on 14 being one of them.

The par 3's are a good test, with 4 and 11 playing as brutes from the back test.

What did you make on 18?

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MCirba

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2022, 02:11:09 PM »
Playing the 640 yd tips into a nice breeze hit driver well that hung up on a down slope, advanced a 3 wood second about 200,  then smoked a 3 wood that almost got to the green and came back a ways down the hill.   To a front hole location I tried to get cute and skulled it over the green and walked away with a 7.   :'(

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
Playing the 640 yd tips into a nice breeze hit driver well that hung up on a down slope, advanced a 3 wood second about 200,  then smoked a 3 wood that almost got to the green and came back a ways down the hill.   To a front hole location I tried to get cute and skulled it over the green and walked away with a 7.   :'(

Sounds about right.  I've only parred it once in a good number of plays.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2022, 02:52:35 PM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Sven,

Methinks quantity is the important factor, not frequency. I was reporting a generic Oregon Coast stat saying January was the wettest. I found Gearhart specific stats showing November (the month I played) as the wettest with 15 inches of rain. It has March coming in at 10.1 inches.

Yes, I played some time ago perhaps in a wetter than usual year. The keeper can't control the rain. Do you have any idea what he might have done to alleviate the problem? Top dress with sand?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2022, 03:10:09 PM »
The photo shows landing of drive hit downwind landing on a down slope. Although, I saw lots of pitch marks from my tee shots, this one stood out because of the conditions it occurred under so I took the picture. I don't remember exactly how far the ball traveled after landing, but I am confident it was under 2 feet.

IMG_0630_zpsc9fr08dx by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 04:52:25 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

MCirba

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2022, 04:20:05 PM »
[quote author=Sven Nilsen link=topic=63502.msg1715092#msg1715092

Sounds about right.  I've only parred it once in a good number of plays.

I had a better shot at scaling Everest.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 10:34:08 PM »
The photo shows landing of drive hit downwind landing on a down slope. Although, I saw lots of pitch marks from my tee shots, this one stood out because of the conditions it occurred under so I took the picture. I don't remember exactly how far the ball traveled after landing, but I am confident it was under 2 feet.

If I had to guess, I'd say that drive was on hole 5 or 7, two of the holes on the north section of the course closer to the creek, both having ponds on them.  I'd imagine the turf is a bit different on this portion of the course as its probably a bit of a drainage basin.  The rest of the course, including holes 2, 3, 4 and most of 6 and 8 are on higher ground to the west of this area and closer to the beach.

Have to say, I've never seen the grass at Gearhart look that green. 

Every once in a while we get something similar at the Bandon courses.  There are sections that get softer than others, and areas where the dirt underneath the grass is less sandy than others.

Josh Bills

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »
It was barely green when I was there in October 2019.  Early morning and the ground was firm but damp. 

Favorite part was eating Lingonberry jam on perfect scone from Gearhart Sweet Shop (which sadly appears to have closed) and then strolling down to the beach, such a beautiful spot.  Not far from Cannon Beach either, which is spectacular.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2022, 07:15:31 PM »
I'm guessing climate change has dried things out a bit since I was there. It certainly has dried out my gardening and agricultural efforts.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2022, 10:17:43 PM »

If I had to guess, I'd say that drive was on hole 5 or 7, two of the holes on the north section of the course closer to the creek, both having ponds on them.  I'd imagine the turf is a bit different on this portion of the course as its probably a bit of a drainage basin.  The rest of the course, including holes 2, 3, 4 and most of 6 and 8 are on higher ground to the west of this area and closer to the beach.

Have to say, I've never seen the grass at Gearhart look that green. 

Every once in a while we get something similar at the Bandon courses.  There are sections that get softer than others, and areas where the dirt underneath the grass is less sandy than others.

Most of my play at Bandon has been in January. I have never seen such pitch marks in the fairways at Bandon in January.

I have seen pitch marks at Bandon in March in my one play in Match. But, that could be expected as I played Sheep Ranch that day.  ;D

My recollection is that I saw most of the pitch marks at Gearhart on the front nine.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 10:20:02 PM by Garland Bayley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back