News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Gearhart
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 02:42:14 PM »
Came across this earlier today which indicates golf was played at Gearhart as early as 1907.   

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »
And here's one from July 1897 to complement Sven's 1896 find posted a few years back.   

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 04:40:41 PM »
Isn't the restoration of Gearhart attributed to Tim Boyle who bought the club 10 years ago? 

Tim is an avid golfer and lover of links golf is the CEO of Columbia sportswear. 

JohnVDB

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 07:42:15 PM »
The boys from No Laying Up did an episode at Gearhart about a year ago https://youtu.be/bXYuDtLwCg4

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
Hoping to play Gearhart this fall during a trip to Bandon.   In doing a bit of digging, I came across this well-researched article that may help answer some questions and raise others.

Early-History-of-Gearhart-Golf-Links-1892.pdf (nwhickoryplayers.org)

Tony Dear

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
Not seen that before. George Eddy was an interesting one. English-born pro, emigrated to Oregon then moved to Seattle and built Foster Golf Links which opened in 1925 - a really fun 4,804-yard Par 68. Eddy invented the fairway vacuum cleaner, a large, odd-looking contraption that vacuumed up leaves.
The part about Macan working at Gearhart doesn't really help shed any light does it? "The Colwood, Inglewood and Gearhart links are of his (Macan) brainwork and handiwork.” (Seattle Times 7-22-1922). The suggestion is that Macan had done renovation work at Gearhart although it is unclear as to when and to what extent." This is by far the most detailed article about Gearhart I've seen, but Macan's role remains uncertain.
I think you'll really enjoy the course, Mike. Last time I was there I was a bit disappointed to see the fairways and green surrounds were quite lush, dark green and spongy, so hopefully you'll get it following a dry spell and before they turn the water on.
Tony

Connor Lewis

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »
I used to live in Oregon and I am a huge fan of Gearhart. That being said I feel like there is more myth than fact to when golf was played there. I have heard dates throw around from the 1880s, 1892, 1912 and a couple of dates in the 1920s.

There is a strange push for those states West of the Mississippi to claim they are the oldest (West of the MS). There was a course in the or around the Sand Hills of Nebraska in the 1880s, there was a course in Burlington, Iowa in the 1880s, but I have found nothing viable beyond that in Oregon or California. Others may know more than me on this subject, but one of the contenders with evidence for oldest west or the MS is Fairfield Golf & CC in little ol’ Fairfield, IA founded in 1892.

What I like to tell clubs from around the country who ask me…“listen if your club or course was built in the 1890s, you have something very special. If you have a public course built between 1895 and 1905 same.”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2022, 08:59:26 AM »
One of my biggest regrets is never having played Gearheart while I lived in Beaverton for 9 years.    Dumb move on my part!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2022, 11:09:42 AM »
One of my biggest regrets is never having played Gearheart while I lived in Beaverton for 9 years.    Dumb move on my part!

No smart! Their own website touts an article which calls it an "uninspiring money loser" from that era. I found it to be uninspiring when I played it. My understanding is that Columbia Sportswear CEO has been instrumental in vastly improving it to create some inspiration.

I may have to give it another go now.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2022, 11:18:45 AM »
Further reading the article linked from their website reveals that they are or have implemented suggestions from Jim Urbina after having invited him to look it over.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2022, 11:17:27 PM »

No smart! Their own website touts an article which calls it an "uninspiring money loser" from that era. I found it to be uninspiring when I played it. My understanding is that Columbia Sportswear CEO has been instrumental in vastly improving it to create some inspiration.

Garland, it sounds like you haven't been there in a while.

Tim Boyle is an Oregon legend, as is his mother Gert Boyle.  His stewardship of Gearhart had been a model for the rejuvenation of what was once a pretty tired piece of property.  The course may not be a pure example of links golf, but it is a ton of fun to play and is always presented in excellent condition due to the hard work of Forrest Goodling and his team.  And you'd be hard pressed to find a better pro than Jason Bangild.

We play up there every year for a tournament in March, and you couldn't ask for more gracious hosts than the good people in Gearhart.  And the course itself is no pushover.  From the "stones" the course can be a beast, especially if the north wind is up.  The 18th alone at 640 yards into the breeze can break your heart.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MCirba

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2022, 06:48:23 AM »
Really looking forward to getting there this fall.  Seems right up my alley.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »

Garland, it sounds like you haven't been there in a while.

Tim Boyle is an Oregon legend, as is his mother Gert Boyle.  His stewardship of Gearhart had been a model for the rejuvenation of what was once a pretty tired piece of property.  The course may not be a pure example of links golf, but it is a ton of fun to play and is always presented in excellent condition due to the hard work of Forrest Goodling and his team.  And you'd be hard pressed to find a better pro than Jason Bangild.

We play up there every year for a tournament in March, and you couldn't ask for more gracious hosts than the good people in Gearhart.  And the course itself is no pushover.  From the "stones" the course can be a beast, especially if the north wind is up.  The 18th alone at 640 yards into the breeze can break your heart.

Sven

Right Sven, haven't been there in awhile. I thought perhaps that would be clear by indicating my understanding that Tim Boyle had be resurrecting the course from the doldrums and that I might have to give it another go.

My point was that Dan lived in Oregon when the course was in the doldrums, was choked with trees, and it wasn't a big deal that he had missed it.

MCirba

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2022, 08:00:14 AM »

The part about Macan working at Gearhart doesn't really help shed any light does it? "The Colwood, Inglewood and Gearhart links are of his (Macan) brainwork and handiwork.” (Seattle Times 7-22-1922). The suggestion is that Macan had done renovation work at Gearhart although it is unclear as to when and to what extent." This is by far the most detailed article about Gearhart I've seen, but Macan's role remains uncertain.

Don't tell my wife but I'm newly in love.

I played Gearhart this past week and I'm smitten.   I know this statement will be seen as blasphemous but playing as the fog rolled in on the back nine reminded me eerily of the only time I played The Old Course back in 1985 as I walked the humps, hollows, and skirted past deep pot bunkers to naturally sited greens.   It was glorious.

But, rather than wax on and on prosaically regarding my emotions, one thing that seems clear is that the general routing of the course as it exists today was determined with changes in the 1931-1932 timeframe when land that had been purchased by the previous owners was finally incorporated into the golf course.   With that in mind, yesterday I came across this Salem Capital Journal article from August 17, 1931.

The previous well-researched piece I linked to above seems to indicate that the course as of 1932 was a composite of the ideas of Macan, H. Chandler Egan, and George Turnbull (the latter from his changes in 1913).   That would make some sense looking at all of the associated evidence.   Right now, less any additional information, this is what the evolution looks like to me but I'm hoping to learn more.   We can quibble about the 1892 date (it may be 1896) but after my Dorset experience, I'd rather give anecdotal lore the benefit of the doubt at present.

Robert Livingstone 1892, George Turnbull/George Eddy/R.C. Astbury 1915, Vern Macan 1922,
Vern Macan/H. Chandler Egan 1932, Bill Robinson 2010, John Strawn 2016, Jim Urbina 2021
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:03:07 AM by MCirba »

Tony Dear

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
Terrific find, Mike. It's certainly an easy course to fall in love with. I'm picturing the fog rolling in and can imagine why you were transported east. Do we know what Macan actually did?
How was the turf? I'm hoping they've they laid off the sprinklers and a dry summer (after a dreadful Spring) means it was firm and running.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:25:50 PM by Tony Dear »
Tony

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2022, 03:06:11 PM »
My recollection (from the 60s-90s) is that they only watered the first fairway, as that was the only feature easily seen from the clubhouse/hotel.

MCirba

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2022, 03:14:15 PM »
Tony,

The turf was very nice and bouncy, and provided a nice playing surface.

A month after the club had Macan out there this appeared in the Medford Mail Tribune to contradict it.   Perhaps, as the one article states, the course that was expanded in the 1930s was an amalgam of ideas from Macan, Chandler Egan, and George Turnbull's original 18 hole course?   Does anyone know if Egan got paid for his architectural work?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2022, 09:58:23 PM »
Unfortunately, the turf can quickly lose its bouncyness when the seasonal rains set in for good.

MCirba

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2022, 11:02:47 AM »
Unfortunately, the turf can quickly lose its bouncyness when the seasonal rains set in for good.

Garland,

Thoughts on why that is, Garland?   The course seems to have a sandy sub-soil but I'm certainly no geologist.  Thanks.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2022, 06:39:53 PM »

Garland,

Thoughts on why that is, Garland?   The course seems to have a sandy sub-soil but I'm certainly no geologist.  Thanks.

My observation is that there is a layer of very black, rich soil that overlays the sand underneath. It absorbs and retains water causing balls to make significant pock marks on landing, thereby killing the rollout.

I have to wonder if they spent years trying to improve the soil and increase the greeness that Americans have long desired in their golf courses.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 06:43:39 PM by Garland Bayley »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2022, 07:10:39 PM »

Garland,

My observation is that there is a layer of very black, rich soil that overlays the sand underneath. It absorbs and retains water causing balls to make significant pock marks on landing, thereby killing the rollout.

I have to wonder if they spent years trying to improve the soil and increase the greeness that Americans have long desired in their golf courses.

My experience at Gearhart has been very different over the last five years.  In March, during the heart of the rainy season, the fairways have been very firm.  In the summer, during the dry season, they are trampolines. 

As noted above, the super up there knows what he's doing.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2022, 09:49:59 PM »
Sven,

I think you meant three months removed from the heart of the rainy season. ;)

Since Mike played in mid September, he was also 3 months removed from the height of the rainy season.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:56:10 PM by Garland Bayley »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2022, 09:55:10 AM »
Sven,

The rainy season starts around Thanksgiving and runs into April, with December and March generally being the rainiest months.  But knowing you, you're still going to insist on telling someone who caddies on the Oregon Coast when it rains out here.

Sven

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »
Sven,

The rainy season starts around Thanksgiving and runs into April, with December and March generally being the rainiest months.  But knowing you, you're still going to insist on telling someone who caddies on the Oregon Coast when it rains out here.

Sven

No, I'm just going to report what weather records show for the Oregon coast.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2022, 12:29:47 PM »

"The rainiest season is Spring when it rains 32% of the time and the driest is Autumn with only a 15% chance of a rainy day."
[/size][/color]
[/size]As you noted above, you haven't been there since Tim Boyle took it over (which was a while ago).  It is a different course under the new regime.  Go back and experience what Forrest Goodling has been doing there and you might change your opinion of the place.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]As I noted, I have experienced very firm conditions at Gearhart in the winter/spring, even during stretches of rain.  In five years of playing at that time I can't remember a single instance of a ball plugging in the fairway.  There are a few areas off the fairways that may get a little soggy, generally on the northern portion of the course where the less interesting holes lie.  [/color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back