News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Re: Best short game practice areas
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
GreatHorse in Springfield Mass has one that rivals all others. Kinloch's may be a little better, but barely.
Mr Hurricane

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
Strantz's Caledonia has several short holes for a short game practice area, yes real 30 to 50 yard shots, under and around giant Live Oaks.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Greg Clark

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
Dallas National
Boot Ranch

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
Raleigh Country Club is really good.  Right next to first tee.  You can hit every shot from 100 and in you could want.  Three greens.  I fell in love with that spot.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
I hardly dare to mention his name, but Donald Trump's course in Aberdeen Scotland has a nice short game area. Compact and beautiful. The practice green is one of the largest I've ever seen. Almost in the same league as The Himalayas. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:50:17 PM by Martin Lehmann »

Matt Dupre

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »
Metedeconk in New Jersey.  Outstanding complex that can provide up to 125 yard shots, with everything else in between.

Paul Jones

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
Dallas National - I played there but didn't use the short game area.  What makes it so great?

I also heard The Bears Club and Frederica are great.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Keith Phillips

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
Bayonne has an oft-closed aqua driving range, but compensates with a fabulous 4 acre short game area.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
The GRAA awards the "Top 50" ranges in the U.S. each year in Private, Public and Stand Alone categories. Here are 2015's Private winners: http://golfrange.org/2015-graa-top-50-private-facilities/

Matt MacIver

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
Quail Hollow has a great one, but it is way out of the way relative to the course. Same with Charlotte CC.

Joel Pear

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »
I really like the short game practice area at Beverly CC.

Douglas Kelley

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
Love Boot Ranch's short game area.  They have a tool there that I've not seen elsewhere: an "industrial" ball mark repair tool.  It is a few feet long, and you hold it like a jackhammer.  At the bottom is a metal plate with three prongs that extend into the green when the tool is pressed down.  A couple presses of the tool and one can adequately repair a ball mark without bending over.  It makes it possible to repair a bunch of ball marks easily and quickly after a wedge practice session.  It's just a really nice touch at a club that does a bunch of things right.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Point O Woods in Benton Harbor has a short game area that you can spend hours at...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »
Congressional has a good one -- it's very close to the clubhouse, between the 1st tees of their two courses (and 9 green of the blue course); has a putting green and multiple chipping areas; and has a great view.  One drawback is that chili dips and skulls are within full view of tons of people. . . .   

Gary Sato

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »
Leland Stanford Junior University

Ditto but its almost cheating.  A multi million dollar facility that was recently moved.

The unique thing about this facility is the use of different grasses, so if the team is going to be playing a tournament on fescue or bermuda it can practice on such.  Different types of sand as well.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »
As touched on by a few in this thread, the location of the short game area is nearly as important as its design.  I detailed Kinloch's short game area earlier.  As well as its designed, its best attribute may be its location.  You literally have to walk through it when leaving the clubhouse in route to the range or 1st tee.  It therefore gets used extensively even if only for a quick 10 minute warmup before a round. 

Obviously, it's much more difficult if you're adding a short game area to an older club with limited space.  But, for a new facility, a well placed short game area should be a vital part of the overall master plan.

Dave August

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
Desert Forest in AZ has a fantastic short game area.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 07:15:23 AM »
I am bias but I haven't seen it in 12 years, but Friars Head is awesome. SO much thought and detail from Mr. Bakst with the Boys on it.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jon Adkins

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 10:06:23 AM »
The Bridgewater Club in Westfield, IN, has a strong short game facility along with expansive range and nine-hole short course. It used to be part of a separate public facility called the Golf Preserve, but is now part of the club.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
I think May River's at Palmetto Bluff is pretty awesome.  Took some young kids back there and played "golf" for an hour, which was perfect.  We made up holes and had a blast.  Perfect amount of time to hold their attention, etc.  It does not get the use that others might because of its location as others have touched on.  Many people don't know its even there.

Sean Ogle

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2016, 03:22:24 PM »
Love to hear some opinions on the best private course short game practice areas.  I'm in the middle of designing two more.  If someone says Bandon, perfect as I'll be there in a few weeks.

Columbia Edgewater in Portland is phenomenal. If you're flying into Portland on your Bandon trip, DEFINITELY go check it out, as it's very close to the airport.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back