News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Par 72, 7000 Yards "Required" for marketing?
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »
Much of the comment on here seems to me to be in an Amercian context. Looking at it from a purely Scottish context and very much my own personal opinion, I don't think par 72, 7000 yards is "required" at all. In Scotland most private member clubs are relatively accessible, even the biggies, and therefore more or less compete with the few pay and play facilities for visitors. In that sense, they are marketed and for most clubs visitor revenue is an important component of their income.

While they all have websites that will tell you par and yardages, more important in any selection is established rep, type of course ie. links, parkland etc, cost and availability ie. travel distance and any restrictions on play. In terms of reputation they might be known as long or short or indeed tough, easy, featureless, hilly, fun, holiday golf, quirky etc. but they won't be "known" as a par 72 even if it is stated on the website.

To the ordinary golfer I really don't think the actual par and yardage register that much. The reason for that is probably historical in that with so many old courses with varying yardages and pars, the standard 72 and 7000 isn't as established as perhaps it is elsewhere, but also I think when you have such varying playing conditions between types of courses, and the weather on any given day, they can be pretty meaningless stats. For example play Troon on a relatively benign day when the course is running and you might think it a breeze while you play Kilspindie when its relatively soft under foot and the wind is blowing you off your feet and you might think it a brute.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Out of interest with a 7,000/72 combo, in very general terms what would be the proportion (in %) of teeing areas for say the back men's, the men's white's, the men's yellow's and the reds?
Atb
I think it would vary a lot and % of tee space is almost not applicable because a 250 squared metred tee offers about 10 times the usuable space of a 50 metred tee. If I am designing with 4 sets, I would probably go;

100 squared metres for very back championship tees
 200 squared metres for normal White tees
 300 squared metres for normal Yellow tee of the day
 100 squared metres for ladies tees.

Par 3 holes I would maybe double the Whites and Yellows.

I might also have more than 4 tees at some holes to allow options, if there were good spots or useful alternatives.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
Thanks for these details Adrian.

Changing tack a little, if 7,000/72 is a marketing target for men, I wonder what the equivalent marketing target yardage/par is for women or is the thought process maybe different?

Atb

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
As a matter of interest, how many UK gca'ers know the yardages of their home course without having to look them up ?

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
Adrian

I guess my main point is that when the main marketing push for a course is 7000/72 then it doesn't bode well because these are such superficial (I would actually argue meaningless and perhaps even negative measurements of quality) measurements of quality.

This is the point I was trying to make, more neatly packaged by Sean.  The fallback to 7000/72 is almost an admission that you don't have a lot else going for you.  Yes, the world needs ditch-diggers, too -- I'm not trying to demean the average course -- but it costs the golf world a lot when every ditch-digger has to pretend he's creating a "championship" course.  And you are not doing yourself a favor by identifying with the ditch-diggers.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »

Changing tack a little, if 7,000/72 is a marketing target for men, I wonder what the equivalent marketing target yardage/par is for women or is the thought process maybe different?

Atb
Yes different thought process it is more, a great menu with plenty of healthy fish options and salads and good length mirrors and vanity units to apply their make up. Separate shower cubicles are also high on the list.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »
Atb
Yes different thought process it is more, a great menu with plenty of healthy fish options and salads and good length mirrors and vanity units to apply their make up. Separate shower cubicles are also high on the list.

😊.....I was wondering!
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back