News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Squires Club - Ambler, PA
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »
I used to work for Advanta Bankcorp in Spring House and would drive by this place most days on the way to the office. I did a search of the site and did not see much about it other than the fact that it was originally a George Fazio design with some later work by Tom Fazio and Tom's son. Very rarely would I ever see anyone actually playing. The earlier thread (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41061.0.html) mentioned guys playing naked, there's a decent amount of the course right up against the public roads boardering the course so I am not quite sure of that. The course always interested me and I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures of the course that they could direct me to or post? It always looked real nice based on the 6 or 7 holes that I could see parts of. Old York Road CC always looked nice down that way as well and I know nothing about it.

Thanks - Jim

Dan Boerger

Re: Squires Club - Ambler, PA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
Jim - Sorry no pictures, I wonder if Joe Bausch has any.

I played it once a couple of years ago. Nothing overly memorable, but straightforward, fun to play and not tricked up (like its neighbor Talamore, IMO). I was with a great group of guys.

It's truly a heavy-betting, all men's club sort of experience. Not my style, but if that's your thing, that's the place!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Jim - Sorry no pictures, I wonder if Joe Bausch has any.

Nope.   :(
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
Usually, Thursdays are the big day for golfers to appear at Squires. It's the only day that dinner is served. and after dinner the big card games happen.

I'd guess that their total rounds per year are very low.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Sherma

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Total rounds must be crazy low. I don't think I ever saw more than one group on the course at any one time. That's driving by the place 10-15 times a week for almost 4 years.

Dan - certainly not my thing - if I needed a big bet to get my juices flowing on a good course I'm playing the wrong game. A little action is nice, never understood the guys that need to play for big money, especially if they don't really have it. I'm sure the Squires guys all have it.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
Back in my youth caddie days, I used to work for a Squires member who also played regularly at my home club, Radnor Valley.
The caddie programs were very strong then and the members took us regularly, even if they took carts.

His name was Herb, the last name escapes me, and he used to take me as a single whenever he played in the big money games at RVCC. He paid $25.00 for his bag alone, when $20 for a double was heavy! I'll never forget his standard fare at the turn. A kosher dog, loaded up with everything...AND a GIGANTIC milk shake cup full of Dewars, with about five ice cubes in it!

It was hell babysitting that cup on the back nine, as the sides of the waxy cup would soften and threaten to collapse in the heat of summer, but you didn't dare spill it! He was a bit of a shark and could play quite well even when the sauce kicked in. Memories... 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »

It was hell babysitting that cup on the back nine, as the sides of the waxy cup would soften and threaten to collapse in the heat of summer, but you didn't dare spill it!

That's what the $25.00 was for
Raynor was a hack

Dave Givnish

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
I got to play it a few times, mostly when Whitemarsh flooded.  I did see a 7-some walking down the fairway with 2 players in boxers.  That was before a lot of development came to the surrounding area in the 80's.

The course wasn't too memorable in that several of the par 4's looked the same - out and back, out and back.   I thought of this aspect of Squires the first time that I played the Upper Course at Whisper Rock.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
I got to play it a few times, mostly when Whitemarsh flooded.  I did see a 7-some walking down the fairway with 2 players in boxers.  That was before a lot of development came to the surrounding area in the 80's.

The course wasn't too memorable in that several of the par 4's looked the same - out and back, out and back.   I thought of this aspect of Squires the first time that I played the Upper Course at Whisper Rock.

It has to be a special feeling when you stripe a 4 iron wearing your favorite boxers. Just sayin.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
I'm always up for participating in a boxer rebellion.  There's something liberating about dropping trou.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »
An inside look at the club's membership and traditions but no pictures:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/07/30/squires-the-last-boys-club/

Prior thread:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41061.0.html

Great logo:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:42:36 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
A friend used to caddy there not too long ago and the boxer short rumors appear to be true.

As to Old York.  I played it for the first time 2 years ago and my memories include:
- Fantastically fun and challenging green complexes
- Generally a solid and fair test
- Several very difficult Par 3's
- An odd yet likeable clubhouse/locker room aesthetic of old school country club meets muni.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
I played here once in the early 80s.

What I most remember is that as you walked off the 1st tee, there was a ladies tee. That tee had never been mowed. It was a small reminder that its a men only club.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:29:26 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Tom ORourke

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »
A friend of mine lost in the finals of the Philly AM there in 1975. I walked along for the match. Very straightforward course. Nice rolling hills. Good examination of your game. Pars were not going to lose a lot of holes. You needed to hit it well to score. Not a great course but a good one. Not in the class with Aronimink or Merion but in a league with some others I like, such as Llanerch,  Overbrook, Waynesborough.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 12:41:16 AM »
Jim:

Here are a few shots of Squires - they're mediocre iPhone snaps from the early spring, but they should give you the gist of the course:

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:07 AM »
go to www.myphillygolf.com

for a great article.

The course is good but the experience is great. Where else can you answer natures call and watch sports center on your personal tv in the stall?  Course is a nice track with some solid holes. But the guys are what makes the club. A great experience.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »
I am not a member at Squires but know a number of them well. Great guys, no pretension, and every time I've played there (3 or 4) I've felt very welcome and it was a wonderful experience. If you get a chance to play there, don't pass it up.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back