News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Ladies Putting Club of St Andrews: HIMALAYAS New
« on: July 02, 2016, 05:15:27 AM »

Old Tom Morris on the course in 1892.

Prior to 1860 local caddies laid out a small putting area near where Rusacks Hotel now stands. There being very little recreation available for proper young ladies, when the green was quiet a few young ladies would play.  This mingling of classes caused a strained situation which demanded a solution.  It was suggested that a piece of suitable land north of the Swilcan Burn was available. Old Tom Morris laid out a modest 9 hole pitch and putt course for the exclusive use of females which was the genesis of the St Andrews Ladies Putting Club in 1867. More land was acquired further north and quite quickly the course became smooth enough that only a putter was required.  Other than the huge Himalaya mounds, the main feature is the fisherman’s path running through the course.  In the early years this path would often flood, thus earning the title Jordan.  Now tarmacked and rarely, if ever flooded, the path is still referred to as Jordan. 

By the turn of the century club membership swelled to an incredible 400 members and 200 gentleman associate members. However, the onset of World War I decimated the ranks which led to the momentous decision in 1920 to allow the public to play for a modest fee...thank goodness!  All comers are welcome, though I believe there is a minimum age requirement of three  :D .  It is hard to imagine getting bored with the green, but a new layout is fashioned every Tuesday. 

Having played the course many times two things are quite clear.  First, a slow running green with large undulations works very well for entertainment purposes.  Second, it is difficult to obtain true rolling putting surfaces on greens cut as high as the Himalayas. As a counterpoint to modern flat greens cut very short, I suggest there is reasonable middle ground with green speeds of 8-9 and undulations maybe half or two-thirds that (and not quite so sharp) as on the Himalayas.

The Old Course is but one reason St Andrews is the Home of Golf. 2016

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:40:04 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: St Andrews Ladies PC: HIMALAYAS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »
Brilliant! And thanks for the historical background.

Anyone who visits StA and doesn't take the time to play or at the very least see up close the Himalayas is missing a great golfing opportunity. Parents and children, grandparents, even great-grandparents, families, all having some fun together, and at very little expence.

If only more clubs/towns had such a facility - once upon a time many did - and putting greens and pitch n putt courses were where many of us first took up game.

The Himalayas is just the sort of place where the supporters of grow-the-game need to concentrate.

Atb

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »
Ditto Mr Dal's comments.  My first visit to St Andrew's with family this was the only golf I was "allowed" to play.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »
Sean:

Do they really only change the hole locations once a week?  I thought it was more often.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »
Sean,

I am in full agreement with you as regards to the ideal compromise being 8-9 or even 10 if the course is playing firm. I suspect the problem with a true roll lies less with the height of cut and more to do with maintenance. I have played on several courses where the fairways putted very well. I suspect if the putting green had one main person looking after it, it would improve immensely. Having said that, I suspect that they have struck a good balance in condition of the playing surface and the cost of maintaining it. Also, the fact that it has daisies growing in it is part of its charm in my book.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »
Sean:

Do they really only change the hole locations once a week?  I thought it was more often.

Tom

That is what I was told in Links House, but who knows.  The ladies play their comps Wednesday afternoons so it makes sense. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JJShanley

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
I see they now have flags.  I want to say that they had wooden bulbs back in the 1980s and 1990s when I visited St. Andrews with my family.  I loves that place.  My dad and I would play there in the late afternoon before we all headed to Peter Michael's for a fish supper.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 10:38:57 PM »
I see they now have flags.  I want to say that they had wooden bulbs back in the 1980s and 1990s when I visited St. Andrews with my family. 

That's correct.  When I saw it in 1982 they had wooden hole markers with a little bulb on the top with the number.  The first time I played it, there was one hole that played up and over one of the sharpest ridges, and you could not see the wooden marker in the hole from the tee point!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »

There were two of us and a plane to catch.

Just ahead of us were a pair VERY old gels, teeing off on the first. I suggested to the starter that I'd ask them if in the circumstances they'd mind if we skipped ahead and started on three.

"I wouldn't do that Sir, they're members."

Never saw them for dust and they watched most of our back nine from a conveniently placed bench.

I would suggest you've missed a lot of the fun part of St Andrews if you've not played here.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back