News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: GOLF HOUSE CLUB, ELIE
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »
Garland,
One of these days, I'll try that three day ticket. Seems a good idea.

Curious if maybe your son played best at Craighead?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
He shot 41 on the front at Castle. By far his best 9. I doubt he played his best at Craighead, but he struggled in the morning at Balcomie, so that may have some influence as Craighead had some of the widest playing corridors, if not the widest, of where we played.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pearce

« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
He shot 41 on the front at Castle. By far his best 9. I doubt he played his best at Craighead, but he struggled in the morning at Balcomie, so that may have some influence as Craighead had some of the widest playing corridors, if not the widest, of where we played.
Whoa!  I'm a member at 2 Fife clubs.  One you have chosen to rubbish on this thread.  The other is Crail.  I really like Craighead.  I think it's a great example of what a bright architect can do on a poor piece of land with a limited budget.  Frequently I'll play it above Balcomie.  But it's tough.  SSS74 is almost always 77 in comps.  Mostly because the green complexes are tricky.  But also because there's not much leeway off the tee.

There's no way that anyone, with their brain half engaged, could honestly say that Craighead has wider playing corridors than Elie.  Or, for that matter, the Eden.  Or Balcomie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
That said, my kids also like Craighead.  And it belongs in the conversation, where many wouldn't let it in.  So I wouldn't despair of your son yet.  Not for that, anyway.  Choosing to wear stretch denim on a transatlantic flight, however, that makes no sense....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bob Montle

« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »
Is liking Craighead an age thing?

If I was still a young pup would I like it better?
My round at Balcomie was full of the joy of life and of being there.  I would happily have played it again.
Alas, I tried Craighead and it was a huge disappointment to me.

I loved the New Course and some idiot told me that if I liked the New then I would love Craighead.
Hmmph
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Mark Pearce

« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
Bob,

Not sure it's an age thing.  I think it's a "hard" thing.  To enjoy Craighead you have to drive it well and be willing to be harshly punished for small errors around the greens.  6 or 7 years ago I had the golfing weekend of my life in the first two rounds of the club championship.  My 81 round Craighead was only 4 over CSS (I was playing off 14) and with a 71 round Balcomie saw me qualify 3rd or 4th overall for the second weekend.  But you have to be a bit of a masochist, I think, to enjoy it.

It does have some quirk (more than most moderns) and some really good green complexes.  But it's unforgiving and to love it you have to live with that.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2019, 01:01:22 AM »
...  I have a theory that any decent links is worth at least 5 unless there are unusual circumstances involved.  ...

You see, Doak rating of 3 on links courses is really saying they rate 5! Just like Doak rated Elie in the original CG. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2019, 01:17:48 AM »
There's no way that anyone, with their brain half engaged, could honestly say that Craighead has wider playing corridors than Elie.  Or, for that matter, the Eden.  Or Balcomie.

Am I going to have to measure fairways on Google Earth? ;)
My friend Bob, who John Mayhugh knows from Sagebrush, and perhaps Kings Putter, arranged the trip, as I had arranged trips to Wales, and to Northern Ireland for him to join in the past. He says he liked Balcomie best. He's weird, as he played abysmally there, narrow corridors and all. ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »

He says he liked Balcomie best.
I'm sure he wouldn't be alone.  It does have some really good holes (2, 3, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 18) and some spectacular views and gets right down to the sea on more of those than Elie and, obviously, more than Eden.  There's some quirk and it's short.  There's a reason I haven't given up my Crail membership after I got into Elie.  But in the end, Elie is clearly better than Balcomie and beats out the Eden because those new holes at Eden are so bad and even Elie's "breather" holes (7, 14) are good holes (once you get round the concept, on 7, of a par 4 which in the prevailing wind can be reached with a mid-iron)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
Is liking Craighead an age thing?

If Mark likes it obviously not  :-X :D

Ryan Coles

« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
I really liked Craighead. Without speaking up for Garland (again) I played Balcomie on a busy Summer day and it felt claustrophobic with crossovers and groups on the wrong fairway etc. But in its defence the Course was packed. 

Although fairways may not be wider, the Craighead certainly had a more spacious feel the same afternoon. I think the courses complement each other quite well. Many will disagree but I’d take 36 holes there over Lundin & Leven. 

I’d agree with Mark when he says it’s not great land and imagine it wasn’t a big budget. We all liked it but I imagine Mr Hanse would probably pass on it now that his star has risen.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2019, 03:12:12 AM »
One of the downsides of Balcomie in Summer months is that the course is always packed.  Crail does very well indeed out of visitor fees and a lot of the local members out of caddying.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2019, 08:37:58 AM »
I will take the Four hour Four ball we had at Balcomie on a crowded day over the Five hour round we had the next day at Kingsbarns. KB is the better layout, but it is too slow and more than twice the price.

Ira

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2019, 03:19:37 PM »
This is starting to sound like golf's equivalent to climbing Mt Everest -- travel long distances for a rare opportunity, only to find 6000 people already there & traffic jams all the way to the summit. Maybe it's time for Sean et al to profile and promote GB&I's tier *three* courses!

Scott Warren

« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2020, 08:28:21 AM »
Elie is hell bent on enforcing their arcane rules. As far as I am concerned, they may be part of the reason there is a thread about Scottish golf being in trouble.

Our luggage did not make it with us to Scotland, and my son wore fashionable stretch denim Jean's on the plane for comfort so he did not have his golfing pants to wear. No matter that half the eight or so lads and gents gathered by the first tee were more shoddy in appearance with their old corduroy pants and such. No excuses accepted, and a shallow lecture on tradition was what we got. So their shop made a sale of one pair of pants, which resulted in them no having a chance to sell four meals, and no prospect of at least two of us returning.

If they had some brains they would know their stupid rule was made for the Levi's of old, and enforce it appropriately.

Too bad I'm not a Twitter user so I can excoriate them there too.

Time flies — We are approaching the first anniversary of this most auspicious and wonderful post.

I have made a note in my diary to wear my finest pair of jeans on May 21 in honour of Garland and his son. All are welcome to do likewise.

BHoover

« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2020, 08:52:02 AM »
I love it. This is a moment in GCA history that needs to be commemorated and celebrated, preferably with re-enactments across the globe.

Sean_A

« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2021, 02:50:59 AM »
Delete, sorry.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 03:05:57 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2022, 03:41:39 AM »
Well, I hear the long sock rule has been dropped! Maybe the club will now allow stretch jeans to be worn 😎.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Sims

« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2022, 02:47:04 PM »
This has been a great thread that I’d missed somehow. I wonder if Elie has overseas memberships?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2022, 01:28:40 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:43:44 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2022, 01:53:34 PM »
Well, I hear the long sock rule has been dropped! Maybe the club will now allow stretch jeans to be worn 😎.

Ciao
Indeed.  Interesting last Summer to see that most members (and most younger members) continued to wear long socks with shorts.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2022, 01:55:06 PM »
This has been a great thread that I’d missed somehow. I wonder if Elie has overseas memberships?
Full membership is less than £800 p.a.  I'm not aware of an overseas membership category.  There is a waiting list for membership.

Scott Warren

« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2022, 02:53:27 PM »
Interesting about the socks.

I recall being invited to play at Worplesdon with a group of members in 2010 and being told “ignore the bit on the website about short socks being okay - as far as we are concerned the rule is still long socks with shorts!”

I wore trousers. I didn’t think to ask about fashionable stretch denim, but I suspect the answer would have been no.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »

Ciao
Indeed.  Interesting last Summer to see that most members (and most younger members) continued to wear long socks with shorts.
I like the long socks. It’s different. Has an old school vibe to it. I hope they keep the stocking rule.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2022, 05:06:02 PM »
We'll be playing there in mid-May and had every intention of luring one of our group into wearing shorts and short socks to the course as he is unaware of the policy.  I guess we'll just enjoy the course and save the prank for another time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back