News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: GOLF HOUSE CLUB, ELIE
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 06:22:19 PM »
Definitely one of my favorite fun courses.  Love the variety of the 16 par fours.  13 is my favorite, the iron shot up to that shelf green is exhilarating.  Thanks for the fine review. 

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »

We often profile here the truly top notch/world class golf courses, of all types: from the Bandon courses to Fishers Island, from those of the Australian sandbelt to the Scottish links, from Prairie Dunes to Garden City.  But Sean's courses in general, and a course like Elie in particular, while they might not be 9s or 10s or even 8s, seem to define and embody "golf" in such a sublime and perfect way -- but in a way I can't put my finger on.

Is there a word that captures this?

Peter, I often think of these as 'authentic' courses.

These courses were built to 'serve' a community, and they do that well.
Recreation, exercise, connection with both nature and community are all provided in an affordable and sporty environment.

Marketing, ratings, media, costly construction and conditioning and the multipurpose clubhouse, do not feature.

In many ways - real golf.
Nice to see Elie

Lyne

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
Thank you, Lyne. That is indeed a very good word.

I miss you around here - your insights and expertise,  your kindness and positive attitude, and your elegant and understated way with words.

I hope you are well and that all is well, and I trust you are keeping busy with projects more nourishing than trading posts with loudmouth lunkheads :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »

We often profile here the truly top notch/world class golf courses, of all types: from the Bandon courses to Fishers Island, from those of the Australian sandbelt to the Scottish links, from Prairie Dunes to Garden City.  But Sean's courses in general, and a course like Elie in particular, while they might not be 9s or 10s or even 8s, seem to define and embody "golf" in such a sublime and perfect way -- but in a way I can't put my finger on.

Is there a word that captures this?

Peter, I often think of these as 'authentic' courses.

These courses were built to 'serve' a community, and they do that well.
Recreation, exercise, connection with both nature and community are all provided in an affordable and sporty environment.

Marketing, ratings, media, costly construction and conditioning and the multipurpose clubhouse, do not feature.

In many ways - real golf.
Nice to see Elie

Lyne

I love the way the course wraps around the town, really more than others I've played in Scotland.  You play the third and then walk across a road, hit your tee shot on 4 and the left side of 4 is all houses and a really nice pub.  You turn left at the end on 5 and play alongside houses.  You don't see the town again until the 17th green and the stroll back across the road to the 18th tee and home.   It's a great aspect of Elie and must be cherished. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 04:37:03 AM »
Bill, et. al.

Calling the course over which The Golf House Club, Elie plays over "Elie" is a misnomer.  The historical name of the land is The Earlsferry Golf Links, and all the houses which surround the house are in the historical village of Earlsferry, not in Elie, which was founded 600+ years after Earlsferry (whose 1st mention was in 1054, and which became a Royal Burgh well before Elie became a village).  Over time, Elie surpassed Earlsferry, having better port facilities and concomitantly much more wealth, and by the time that GHCE was formed the artisans in town split to form the Earlsferry Thistle Club, out of which all the great golfers from the area came (Braid, the Simpson brothers, Douglas Rolland, ertc.).  The original ETC clubhouse was the pub you noticed down the left side of the course, and ETC still exists, somewhere......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sean_A

Re: GOLF HOUSE CLUB, ELIE New
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
Rihc

History can fade.  It is interesting that once the Golf House Club opened and over time, the links seemed to be referred to as Elie. Even GHC added Elie to its name.  Do you think its because GHC owns the land whereas orginally it didn't?  In any case, the landowner decides the name...so Elie it is.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 01:26:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
Not in the case of Balmedie or Turnberry  ;D  Seriously though, if you are talking about a colloquial name then it's down to useage and how people refer to it, not what name the owner wants them to refer to it. If it's the postal address then the owner needs to get OK from Post Office I believe.

Niall

Alex Miller

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 01:13:32 PM »
Authentic is really the perfect word for Elie.

I've opined on Elie multiple times since experiencing it- truly fun adventurous golf that feels as if it's played on land that could never have been intended for any other use. By far the most pleasant surprise of my trip to Scotland even with large excitement to play there from studying up online.

The course is paced excellently. Long to short, downwind to upwind and across - we truly never noticed there were 16 par 4's (although #3 played longer than a couple of the others). It has everything one could ask for in a home club and locals are lucky to be able to play a course everyday that I would gladly travel thousands of miles for another opportunity.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »
Authentic is really the perfect word for Elie.

I've opined on Elie multiple times since experiencing it- truly fun adventurous golf that feels as if it's played on land that could never have been intended for any other use. By far the most pleasant surprise of my trip to Scotland even with large excitement to play there from studying up online.

The course is paced excellently. Long to short, downwind to upwind and across - we truly never noticed there were 16 par 4's (although #3 played longer than a couple of the others). It has everything one could ask for in a home club and locals are lucky to be able to play a course everyday that I would gladly travel thousands of miles for another opportunity.

😀😀👍👍

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
Dear Rich Goodale,

Thank you for the elusive Elie story.

I love the honest golf at Elie with so many run away greens. But, as much as I admire Elie it is not true links land. I think the natural links lands that connect Lundin and Leven and the Old Tom Morris holes there are damn near the finest golf holes in Fife.

Just my own opinion!

Best!

Malcolm

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:54:42 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
Malcolm,

sorry but I do not agree with your assessment of the land at Elie. It is links land as it certainly was low quality grazing land by the sea. It might not be dune land but that is not the definition of links land.

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »
Malcolm,

sorry but I do not agree with your assessment of the land at Elie. It is links land as it certainly was low quality grazing land by the sea. It might not be dune land but that is not the definition of links land.

Jon

I played about 5 years ago immediately after torrential and sustained rain, within 30 mins there was no evidence. However on this visit the turf was definitely not as fine as on the Eden.  There were no 'odd' bounces that I associate with the short game on inland/clay. In one sense the turf helps the course play a little longer which is not really a bad thing.

IMO Linksland: which is not as homogenous as some people believe.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »
Jon/Tony/Rich,

My "American" interpretation of links land led me towards the undulating, lumpy and sandy dune like coastal strips of terrain.

Actually, Jon's definition of "links" being just border/waste areas between town and sea are more in line with what I was presented with when I toured the R&A clubhouse with their curator.

So Elie can very well be considered Links Land if you adhere to the R&A standard.

Either way it is a lovely place to while away a few hours whacking a ball around!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:37:01 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Bill Crane

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »
Malcolm - you provocateur!

Last June my son Marshall and I took Tom Doak's advice in the new Confidential Guide and played GHC Elie on Saturday and walked the entire Old Course on Saturday.

It is Charming and certainly Authentic.  Like so many of my favorite courses it comes right out of the town - similar to Springdale, Merion, R Dornoch, Nairn, North Berwick, etc.,etc.   Oh, and the courses in St Andrews, of course.

We were fortunate enough to join two members, also Father and son on the 5th hole.  After the round, I enjoyed the pictures of Bill Campbell in classy clubhouse- who was apparently a member.  I had caddied for him as a lad at Springdale during a Princeton U alumni event in about 1973.   US Amateur Champ, 2 time Sr. Amateur champ, President of the USGA, he was also became the Third United States citizen who became Captain of the R and A.  The members noted that historically many R and A members are also Elie members which may have been the reason that Campbell joined the club.

The comment about the lack of definition visually off the tee obscures how interesting the course actually is, and how tricky the shots are into the greens, especially with any wind and the interesting and unusual angles that the greens are canted.

By the way, I think the main hill at Elie is actually an escarpment, especially when you seen how it ascends as it approaches the Firth of Forth.

I am eager to return.

Bill

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
Earlsferry Thistle Golf Club still very much exists.  It has a modest clubhouse which is the white building to the right of the 18th tee.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

Re: GOLF HOUSE CLUB, ELIE New
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
Dear Rich Goodale,

Thank you for the elusive Elie story.

I love the honest golf at Elie with so many run away greens. But, as much as I admire Elie it is not true links land. I think the natural links lands that connect Lundin and Leven and the Old Tom Morris holes there are damn near the finest golf holes in Fife.

Just my own opinion!

Best!

Malcolm

Malcolm

If its any consolation...I didn't think Elie was terribly linksy.  There looks to be a significant percentage of meadow grass about the place.  It doesn't matter much to me though because the design is wonderful.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 01:31:56 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »
Sean,

Thanks!

When are you going to hit Pitreavie?

I thought that I might stir up something here regarding what what actually is Links land.

I guess that I will try again!! 

Carl Johnson

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Elie was the first course I'd ever played in Brittan (year 2000).  It wasn't on our schedule, but our driver from the Edinburgh airport to St. Andrews suggested we stop off and try to play.  It wasn't a visitors day, but there had just been a torrential downpour and the course was deserted, so they let us go off.  It was 4:00 p.m.  It was an enjoyable round and a nice intro to Scotland golf.  Thanks for the photos and memories.  And one of our four ball did hit one way right from the first tee.  Never found, we surmised it had crossed the wall into the pasture.  And other interesting tidbit, the starter insisted on giving us a description of how to play every hole.  No way we'd remember all of that

Mark Pearce

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 01:40:05 AM »
Carl,

Right of the wall on the first isn't a pasture, it's a nine hole children's course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Carl,

Right of the wall on the first isn't a pasture, it's a nine hole children's course.
Mark, I saw tall grass and assumed pasture.  Maybe there was some tall grass near the wall.  Just looked on google map satellite and saw the other course. Is it the Elie Sports Club 9-hole course, which appears to be nearby?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:35:44 PM by Carl Johnson »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2016, 03:58:04 AM »
Carl, yes, that's right.  The first fairways of the two courses are adjacent, with the wall and a narrow strip of rough separating them.  Both are OOB on the other course.

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 02:45:20 AM »
The comment about the lack of definition visually off the tee obscures how interesting the course actually is, and how tricky the shots are into the greens, especially with any wind and the interesting and unusual angles that the greens are canted.

Bill

I agree completely with this comment.  Most holes have something sneaky happening for the approach...sometimes in combination with slide away greens.

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:35 AM »
Playing in strong wind from the back tees on Saturday the course really showed its teeth.  Only three players in a field of 100 managed net scores of par or better.

Sean is right about the approaches.  Almost every green has a trick to approaching it.  Members know that the ball will work in from the left on 1, you can fly it to the green on 2 but short of any flag, work it in from short left on 3, be the right side of the ridge on 4, work it in from short right on 5, land it short on 6 and use the slope, etc., etc.

Like all good links, how to play it is very wind dependant.  In my previous round there 17 had been three good blows to reach into an East wind.  On Saturday, a slightly mis-hit drive and a wedge.  These changes in wind can also make a huge difference to how to approach a green.  6, which slopes steeply away, can be attacked by flying the ball to the pin in a strong west wind, where in still conditions on a dry, firm and fast day, you'll land the ball short of the green to get even to a back pin position.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:32 AM »
Holes/shots with a "Lack of definition" can be pretty difficult what with aim, alignment, direction, landing area etc issues. Bit like putting on an allegedly perfectly flat green...it never is.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »

Almost every green has a trick to approaching it.  Members know that the ball will work in from the left on 1, you can fly it to the green on 2 but short of any flag, work it in from short left on 3, be the right side of the ridge on 4, work it in from short right on 5, land it short on 6 and use the slope, etc., etc.

I did find 6 puzzling because I thought I hit a cracker well short of the green and it failed to even make the green let alone scare the hole.  The day before my approach jumped hard and finished on the 10th tee.

#1 is tricky too because the approach plays downhill, but the green is decidedly uphill.  In the lush conditions should have thrown the ball more near the hole rather than trying for kick up...got stung twice.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:15:18 PM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back