News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Your best 6 or 7 days of golf?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »

Prestwick
Turnberry
Machrihanish
Machrihanish Dunes
Goswick
North Berwick
Renaissance
Silloth x 4 (BUDA X!!)
St Andrews

I'm hoping to reach the highs of this one starting Friday.

Charles Lund

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
1. A one week stay at Barnbougle, with lodging at Lost Farm, alternating play at Dunes and Lost Farm.
2.  Multi week stays near Ballyliffin, County Donegal,, with play at the two links courses there, with side trips to Portrush, Sligo, Donegal,  Rosapenna, and Portsalon.
3.  Stays on the Mornington Peninsula, with play at The National, The Dunes Links, Moonah Links Legends, and St. Andrews Beach.
4.  A ten day stay in St. Andrews, with multiple rounds on The Old and Kingsbarns, The New, and Carnoustie, with time off on rainy days.
5.  Scottsdale trips with Troon Card and We Ko Pass (Southern Dunes,  Whirlwind,  Talking Stick, We Ko Pa - Saguaro).
6.  Staying in San Luis Obispo for a week, with alternating play on La Purisima and Hunter Ranch.

Charles Lund

Simon Holt

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
With a great friend this February:

Paraparaumu Beach
Cape Kidnappers
Kinloch
Titirangi
Kauri Cliffs
3 days at Tara Iti.

Closely followed by the next week in Melbourne if it wasn't for a bad ankle and 41'C heat!

See you next week Eric.

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMagi8Rdkw

Here's the YGT's first seven days (the Scotland portion) of a 14 day trip to the UK for a quadrennial tour from late May to June 10. The filmmaker had to return to the States for the US Open Sectional qualifying so he missed the England portion and the video isn't included. The team was undefeated on the tour with matches with Tantallon, Stirling University, St. Andrews University, St. George's Hill, Young Members of Rye, London University, Oxford & Cambridge. Only tie was Castle Stuart.

Regards[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 06:40:58 PM »
Garland,What did you think of Newquay and Minehead?Atb

Newquay has the unfortunate situation of having ditched walking paths to the beach running through it. A bit unsettling for the newcomer without knowledge or game to know if you can carry them or not. For the most part other than that, I really enjoyed this Colt course.

Minehead in my mind could be the starter links for the newcomer. The ground is the smoothest of all I played besides Saunton East, but it is mostly sandy and bouncy turf like you expect at a links. Shot my lowest score of my trip there even though there was a good breeze going on. Since it is basically out and back, I took advantage (by accident) of hitting to the parallel fairway without detriment to my score. Far more enjoyable than Saunton East as Dr. Mac would fault Saunton East for having a lost ball on every missed fairway, especially the 11 yard wide one called "the narrows" as I recall.

Hope I didn't disappoint Ed with my post.
;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:43:21 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hogan

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 12:31:53 AM »
My best 6 or 7 days of golf is going to be next week.
Here is the line up starting on Sunday.

Leven-Hosted by a fellow GCA'er
Royal Aberdeen
Cruden Bay
Crail
North Berwick-hosted by another generous GCA'er
Finishing with 4 days in St. Andrews starting with the Old Couse and then as much as we can play on a 3 day pass.
To quote a famous Doc I know
"Fun"

jvisser

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 05:02:56 AM »
a few trips come to mind

Around the UK; a bit more than 7 days
Royal St. George's
Sunningdale Old
Walton Heath New
Woking
Ganton
St Andrews New
St Andrews Old
St Andrews Castle
North Berwick
Gullane #1
Goswick

6 days of Kent
Princes
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal St. Georges
Rye
Littlestone
Tandridge

Scotland
Dunaverty
Machrahanish GC + Machrahanish Dunes
Machrahanish Dunes 2x
St. Andrews Jubilee
Crail Craigshead

I should start planning another trip!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 08:09:08 PM »
Myopia Hunt Club....the quintessential turn of the century golf and country club, time has almost stood still
Boston Golf Club...wow! Fescue, firm, fast...wild undulations and character...love it
Cabot Cliffs...will likely be #2 modern Golfweek possibly #1....fantastic setting, awesome golf holes, just getting settled
Cabot Links...a fantastic course next to the Cliffs...what a compliment with emergency 3, 6, or 9 hole rounds possible
Highland Links...a great coastal resort course to enjoy, well thought and designed holes, difficult setting with no dozers
Garden City Men's...a wonderful walk, 4 birdies, 3 bogeys, fantastic restorative work/modifications by Doak and club

you??

Did you play Garden City with the missing Mooch?

I just finished three days at Dismal River followed by two days at Sand Hills followed by a tour of Wild Horse.  Remote Nebraska might be harder to reach than Scotland or Bandon but the result was terrific.   Sand Hills is sublime. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 08:10:01 PM »
My best four days may have been:
1.Kingston Heath (T)
Royal Melbourne West
2. Yarra Yarra (T)
Royal Melbourne East
3. Victoria (T)
4. Kingston Heath (T)

You dawg

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Scotland.  Picked up some friends in Edinburgh to rented house in SA.  New, Old, Crail, Elie, then around to North Berwick 2X.  I showed up a bit more than a week earlier and didn't do so bad on my own:  Cruden, Aberdeen, Dornoch, Brora, Gairloch, Machrihanish.  Sort of a road warrior schedule, broken up by stops for a look at nearly every course in between.  Doing all the driving myself, so had to skip the distilleries.  Damn.  Made up for that a bit at the Dunvegan.

How did you miss the hidden gem of the Highlands, Golspie?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
Rivermont
Rivermont
Rivermont
The Golf Club
Dismal Red
Dismal White
Rivermont

Calling BS on that itinerary!   No way on consecutive days.  Well, maybe with a Lear. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 07:48:33 PM »
Ha!  Bill, I was making a joke. This is Gray's thread and he says, in a fun spirited manner, all I do is talk about Rivermont.  I was going to say nothing but Rivermont, but decided to spice it up.

:)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back