News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Understanding Oakmont Finally
« on: June 16, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
I played Oakmont once, about 10 years ago. I really looked forward to playing it and but was totally unprepared for what I experienced.

On the first hole, I hit a perfect draw down the very right edge of the fairway, yet wound up about 3 feet in the left rough. I hit a 7 iron and moved it about 4 feet. I chopped it out with a sand wedge, chipped on, only to see my ball roll on and on and on.

I started with a triple, then a double, a bogey, a par and then a birdie.I grinded thru the first 5 holes, my emotions up and down. Somewhere around the 12 or 13th hole I lost it, my concentration that is.

Oakmont had won, beat me to death and I went thru the motions thru 18, shooting an 87. My goal was always to break 80 and that was the highest score I can ever remember shooting.

I posted that I hated the course, my experience, etc. Now, reading about Oakmont, and watching it, I understand what I missed. The course was designed to get the best of you and it is WAR. I lost the WAR.

I failed to understand that one can not give in to Oakmont, that once you do, you are finished. I could not understand what I thought was an unfair course.

I have to admire these pros, especially today with 3 rainouts, changing conditions. if they had to play this way every week, most would be locked up in homes for the insane.The ability to concentrate, accept the bad makes for a champion. Now I get it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

James Brown

Re: Understanding Oakmont Finally
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:43:22 PM »
+1!

Every course is like this for some ability level. 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »
Everybody knows the Bob Jones quote, "There is gold, and there is tournament golf."

But a better quote is -- and dang it I can't remember the author, maybe Charles Price -- "There is golf, there is tournament golf--and then there is major championship golf."

A lot of guys are beaten mentally before they step to 1 tee.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Hale Irwin, in his prime, would likely win the 2016 Open at Oakmont.

That's all I need to say about that.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »
Or maybe Larry Nelson, again: Vietnam vet.

It's also why I like Zach Johnson's chances.  Mentally tough as unobtanium.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:50 PM »
 8)  Cary,

I understand you physically can't, but if you could play it again, would you adopt more of a game plan going in, more pre-study, at least a plan A of expected shots?  Did you do that or just go in for the experience knowing it'd be tough but confidant you could prevail?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Josh Stevens

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:19:06 AM »
Normally I hate US Opens - but this is a hoot
Why does no one build eccentric places like this anymore?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:29:03 AM »
I mean its almost British in its ridiculousness.  Lots of blind hazards, silly little ditches all over the place, funny back to front greens and I love the concept of the 9th green where there are players practicing at the back.

It breaks every rule, and its wonderful

Apart from the long grass that is

So lets just get rid of all the rest and reduce the US OPEn to a rota of Oakmont and Pinehurst.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 06:04:15 AM »
Cary

I feel the same way about Carnoustie. Absolutely love it, but never yet been left standing to be able to play the last three holes.

Niall

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 09:39:55 AM »
The first time I played Oakmont I did what my caddie suggested every time. Some of it made no sense to me, but I had decided to trust his advice. Fortunately I was hitting the ball well enough that I was able to hit the ball where he suggested. I did break 80 and didn't three putt any green. I haven't broken 80 since.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
For those of us who shall never likely walk those lush fairways...

You can play a halfway decent simulation here.  Its got screenshots of the course on every course, and is perhaps the next best thing!  ;)

www.wgt.com

P.S.  Sign up and playing is free!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 12:07:30 AM »
8)  Cary,

I understand you physically can't, but if you could play it again, would you adopt more of a game plan going in, more pre-study, at least a plan A of expected shots?  Did you do that or just go in for the experience knowing it'd be tough but confidant you could prevail?

Steve:

If I could play it again, i'd beg for a great caddy, leave my drive in the trunk of my car, hit 3 or 5 woods off the tee, ask my caddy where to hit my approach shots. I would also study up as much as possible before hand. I'd also toughen up knowing that I should not give in to bad breaks emotionally, just accept that as the norm for Oakmont.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:59:33 AM »
Jack Nicklaus frequently said that when he heard competitors complaining about the course conditions, he would think to himself: “O.K., I don’t have to worry about that player. I can cross him off the list.”
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back