News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Rex on golf channel just said the Harmon liked the course and thinks it plays like a links course. Rex then said "I am sure that will offend the people of Pittsburgh." Really?

Brad Treadwell

More importantly why do the uneducated immediately refer to a course without trees automatically as "links"?! 

BCowan

More importantly why do the uneducated immediately refer to a course without trees automatically as "links"?!

Thank you, well said

Sean_A

Brad...I think your description "uneducated" is a clue.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brad Treadwell

Which unfortunately is around 99% of golfers...

Brad Treadwell

Want to really confuse these people?  Ask them which course is more of a "Parkland" course...Sahalee or Oakmont? ;D

Sean_A

Hell...many people are of the opinion that saying links course is redundant as all that is necessary is to say is links.  How confusing is that?  Of course...I agree...links it is...links course it never is.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

mike_beene

It was Butch Harmon who said playing "like" a links course so I have no quibble there. It is the announcer's statement that Pittsburgh will be embarrassed to hear Oakmont plays like a links that puzzles me.

Steve Lang

Re: Why is it offensive to describe Oakmont as playing like a links?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:55:02 AM »
 8)  The balls don't bounce around there seemingly randomly crazily in certain places like rabbits ???
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:59:54 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

jeffwarne

It was Butch Harmon who said playing "like" a links course so I have no quibble there. It is the announcer's statement that Pittsburgh will be embarrassed to hear Oakmont plays like a links that puzzles me.

What's so puzzling about a stupid announcer? ;D
Chances are the O akmont members are far more educated than the announcer....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MClutterbuck

Not talking about Oakmont, but I think it is fair to state that courses far away from links land can play like links courses or share some features.

Mark Bourgeois

You know, watching the the play of the 10th on TV, I can almost convince myself I AM watching a links. The lack of interior trees combined with stands of trees off in the distance is not a foreign sight on some links. Also for some reason the sight of rolling hills off in the distance strengthens the illusion.

Any UK people with me on this?

Again, I'm speaking of the TV views of the 10th in particular.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mac Plumart

Mark,

Agreed that it has the look of a links.

But the course is exposed as not a links when the rain hits that clay soil. A well maintained clay based course can play "linksy" but when it gets wet, you know it ain't a links.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BCrosby

Mark -

The 1st, 8th and 10th offer bump and run options. To a lesser degree the 9th, 15th and 17th do as well. I might be forgetting some other holes.

Oakmont is not a links course by any of the usual definitions, but there are places where it plays like one.

Bob

Sam Krume

Thank you, well said

I do believe that in one of his post round interviews Jason Day, No 1 ranked golfer in the world, described Oakmont as a links course....

Bill_McBride

Mark -

The 1st, 8th and 10th offer bump and run options. To a lesser degree the 9th, 15th and 17th do as well. I might be forgetting some other holes.

Oakmont is not a links course by any of the usual definitions, but there are places where it plays like one.

Bob

Bob, I think you are forgetting 12, which has the same runaway green as 1 and 10. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back