News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Looking to play the oldest courses state by state...
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2016, 07:44:47 PM »
Old Del  Monte in Monterey, CA bills itself as the oldest course in continuous operation west of the Mississippi. Is that incorrect?

That's what I thought although the original San Francisco Golf Club which was located by the Presidio was established in 1885.

Do you mean 1895?

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 10:20:21 PM »
Old Del  Monte in Monterey, CA bills itself as the oldest course in continuous operation west of the Mississippi. Is that incorrect?

That's what I thought although the original San Francisco Golf Club which was located by the Presidio was established in 1885.

Do you mean 1895?

From Wikipedia.

San Francisco Golf Club was one of the seven golf clubs West of the Allegheny Mountains when it was founded in 1885. It had its beginning at the Presidio of San Francisco as a nine-hole course. It was moved to 19th and Ocean streets in 1904 and to its present location in 1915.[3]

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
From The San Francisco Call, Dec. 29, 1895.

Wikipedia isn't exactly the best source for these kind of things.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Tim Leahy

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
Sven, what about Old Del Monte's claim? When was it opened?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »
Tim:

Everything I've seen notes Del Monte opened in 1897.  It claims to be the oldest course in continual operation west of the Mississippi.  There are a few courses that might make the same claim.

Sven

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back