News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Looking to play the oldest courses state by state...
« on: June 14, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
A friend of a friend is on a quest to play the oldest golf course in each of the lower 48 states, and has managed to get 38 of them so far, but the last ten have him stuck.
So, my friend asked me if I could help and my first thought was that there’s no better place to look than GCA.com.
He believes these are the oldest in these six states:
MN--Town & Country Club, St. Paul, 1893
NJ--Lawrenceville School Golf Course, Lawrenceville, 1890
NY--Quogue Field Club, Quogue               , 1887
VT--Dorset Field Club, Dorset, 1886
WI--Eagle Springs Resort, Eagle, 1893
WV--Oakhurst Links, White Sulfur Springs, 1884

For Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan and Rhode Island he’s identified these candidates:
CT:
Greenwich Country Club, Greenwich, 1892
Brooklawn Country Club, Fairfield, 1895
Country Club of Farmington, Farmington, 1895
The Sharon Country Club, Sharon, 1895
Fenwick Golf Club, Old Saybrook, 1896
Shennecossett Golf Course, Groton, 1898
MA:
Highland Links, North Truro, 1892
Milton Hoosic, Canton, 1897
Segregansett Country Club, Taunton, 1893
William J Devine Franklin Park GC, Dorchester, 1896
MI:
Wequetonsing Golf Club, Harbor Springs, 1895
Charlevoix Golf Course, Charlevoix, 1896
Harbor Beach Golf Course, Harbor Springs, 1896
Harbor Point Golf Club,1896
RI:
Point Judith Country Club, Narragansett, 1894/1895
Newport Country Club, Newport, 1894
Do any of the member here have a better grasp of this than he does?
TIA, Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike Sweeney

Re: Looking to play the oldest courses state by state...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
For Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan and Rhode Island he’s identified these candidates:
CT:
MA:
Highland Links, North Truro, 1892
Milton Hoosic, Canton, 1897
Segregansett Country Club, Taunton, 1893
William J Devine Franklin Park GC, Dorchester, 1896

RI:
Point Judith Country Club, Narragansett, 1894/1895
Newport Country Club, Newport, 1894
Do any of the member here have a better grasp of this than he does?
TIA, Ken

I would be surprised if Greenwich is not the oldest, but it is a modern country club with an updated golf course. If he wants to play two courses that feel like they are turn of the century, Fenwick and Shenny would be preferred and are public. Fenwick may has some restrictions July and August.

Newport is Newport. It is hard to argue with a founding club of the USGA as oldest. They have outings, and in general New England clubs are open to letters in the off season. Have only driven past Point Judith after a surf day, and it looks good not great. 1893 is the date listed here for NCC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_Country_Club
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:10:06 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:24:16 AM »
Ken,

There's a recent thread on Lawrenceville School and the 1890 date is not correct.   Some very informal golf was played there by John Reid Jr. on land that may or may not be part of today's course but that was 1894 at the very earliest, and probably a bit later.   The first formalized course wasn't built until the school hired James Swan from St. Andrews in fall of 1896 who developed a six hole course that opened in 1897.   Four of the holes from his course, or at least their routing corridors, are still in use today as holes 1 thru 4.

In Massachusetts, I believe the 1892 date for Highland Links is also suspect and if I recall from Anthony Pioppi's book it was closer to 1900 before a formal course existed there.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
I would guess TCC might be the oldest in Mass.

The Club goes back to the 1870's, but some holes were in place sometime in the 1880's I believe.  I'm saying this from memory, without references.

Dorset is the answer for VT based on everything I've ever heard.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »
Ken: Quogue Field Club is not the oldest in New York. As I detailed in my IMO piece (http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/litman-benjamin-s-timeless-golf-at-quogue-field-club/), the 1887 date is the date of incorporation. Its first course opened in 1896, making it the third oldest in the Hamptons behind Shinnecock Hills (1891) and Maidstone (1894). I do not know if Shinnecock is the oldest in New York state.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
I would guess TCC might be the oldest in Mass.

The Club goes back to the 1870's, but some holes were in place sometime in the 1880's I believe.  I'm saying this from memory, without references.

Dorset is the answer for VT based on everything I've ever heard.

Ken,

Brad is also correct here with TCC.   The first holes were designed by 3 members and opened in 1893, Willie Campbell rearranged that in 1894, but only pieces of most of those holes are in use.   Today's 7th hole though goes back to the original, I believe.

Dorset is oldest by all accounts in VT.

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »
I apologize because I don't recall where I got this drawing from, but it's the 1898 version of Brookline with the Campbell 1894 version drawn atop it to show what was utilized.  I have a drawing somewhere of the 1893 course but can't recall if today's 7th was on it, but believe it was.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
Newport is older than Point Judith.

I'd be curious to see what he has for the states not noted. 

Trying to figure out oldest existing courses is not an easy task and leads to some interesting conversations.  For example, the date your friend has for Dorset Field Club would make it older than St. Andrews, and vying for the oldest course in the country.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Josh Tarble

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
Sven,
I can't help with your request, but would it be possible for you to list the courses your friend has played?  Interested to know the oldest in each state. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
Oakhurst in WV is correct.

He is looking to play the oldest, not the oldest and continuously run, right?

WW

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
Here's the first six hole course at Brookline laid out in spring of 1893 by members Hunnewell, Curtis, and Bacon.   I found this drawing in the Morrison/Paul book "The Nature Faker", which details the courses of William Flynn.

It appears that today's 7th hole was not in this iteration, but instead in the 1894 nine-holer (above) from Willie Campbell.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »
Mike:

Which raises the question as to where you draw the line.  Should a course that was only has one hole left from its original routing count?

Should a course like Oakhurst which was rebuilt after 90 years of nonuse count?

Here's a fairly helpful thread from a couple of years ago, but even that thread needs some updating.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57954.0.html

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »
I would guess Glen Arven in Georgia. 

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »
Mike:

Which raises the question as to where you draw the line.  Should a course that was only has one hole left from its original routing count?

Should a course like Oakhurst which was rebuilt after 90 years of nonuse count?

Here's a fairly helpful thread from a couple of years ago, but even that thread needs some updating.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57954.0.html

Sven

Really good points, Sven, and I'm not sure the right answer either.   

For my documentation purposes, I generally consider if golf was played on the same, or part of the same property, but understand others who want something more concrete and continuous.

Thanks!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Great thread.

Wouldn't St Andrews be the oldest in NY?

In VA, the Homestead claims to have the oldest continually maintained first tee (Old Course) in I believe the US. Not sure where that leaves us.

Reading between the lines of the Macdonald Timeline Project, would Onwentsia lay claim to IL?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
Indiana is likely Woodstock Club in Indianapolis as far as I can tell.
Kemtucky is likely Middlesbourough CC

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
Ken,

Town & Country in St. Paul is certainly the oldest club/course in Minnesota. The club dates to 1888 and golf has been played on the same grounds since 1893.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
This is a bed-post notching exercise which is one I can actually get behind and is the kind of thing which should be lauded here more than the usual access-whoring-braggadocio (I played the Top 100!) which goes on under the guise of research.  I'd also be very interested in the full 50 state list.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
Great thread.

Wouldn't St Andrews be the oldest in NY?

Mark,

Probably the oldest club, but the course moved twice in the early years, finally to today's site around 1897.

Ken Moum

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
I'm am once again amazed by the depth of interest the members of this group have in golf courses, especially old ones.

Since this is a friend of a friend, I will have to get back to them about the whole list, although I suspect he might not be thrilled to find out that y'all don't agree with his choices.

Also, this points out one of the dilemmas of GCA.com--the fact that more knowledge doesn't often result in more definite conclusions.

Reminds me of the 23 years I spent working for the SD Game, Fish and Parks Dept.  EVERY wildlife expert will tell you that the more you study something the less likely you are to claim you know anything absolutely. 

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know squat.  And everyone who ever bought a hunting or fishing license is an expert.

It's no wonder that when I started working for GCSAA I felt right at home.  Everyone who ever held a putter knows more about golf turf than any of the folks who grow grass for a living.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
9 hole or 18?

Wouldnt the current Downers Grove Golf Club qualify as the oldest in the Midwest?
It was the precursor to (the current) Chicago Golf Club and built in 1892 by Charles Blair Macdonald.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-05-20/sports/9202150423_1_golf-history-nine-hole-herbert-warren-wind

"There is some controversey as to whether the first 18-hole course in America was at Belmont or in Wheaton when Macdonald`s Chicago Golf Club moved in 1894. Macdonald`s autobiography states ``in the spring of 1893, I increased the number of holes from nine to 18 and on the 18th day of July 1893, the charter of Chicago Golf Club was granted.`` Golf historian Herbert Warren Wind, golf architecture expert Ron Whitten of Golf Digest, author Robert Sommers and others recognize the Belmont site as the first 18 holes in America, as does the United States Golf Association."

JBovay

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »

CT:

Fenwick has a better claim on being the oldest course in the state than Shennecossett. However, I'm not familiar with the various country clubs listed above.

When you check in at Fenwick and tell the person in the Borough Office that it's your first visit, they'll hand you a card with a history of the course. It includes the following: "The Fenwick Golf Course is the oldest public golf course in the state of Connecticut and, following the Greenwich Country Club, the second oldest course in the state. The first three holes (5, 6, and 7) were laid out in 1894. Holes 2, 3, and 4 were added in 1895, and the full nine-hole layout was completed in 1896." Later on... "the upper part of the [6th] green is the oldest green in the state in its original location."

Shennecossett Golf Club was not founded until 1898, and it seems unlikely that much of it survives from that era, based on the description on their website. About half of Ross' 1916-19 course is still on the ground today.

Ken Moum

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »
Here's his list of courses played:

AL

Highland Park Golf

Birmingham

AR

Brinkley Country Club

Brinkley

AZ

Phoenix CC

2901 N. 7th Street

CA

Aetna Springs GC

Pope Valley

1890/92

CO

Patty Jewett Golf Course

Colorado Springs

DE

Ed Oliver Golf Course

Wilmington

FL

Ocean Course at Breakers

Palm Beach

GA

Glen Arven Country Club

Thomasville

IA

Sioux Golf & Country Club

Alton

ID

Hayden Lake CC

Hayden Lake

IL

Downers Grove Park District Golf Course

Downers Grove

IN

Riverside Golf Club

Indianapolis

KS

Topeka Country Club

Topeka

KY

Middlesboro Country Club

Middlesboro

LA

Audubon GC

New Orleans

MD

Elkridge Club

Baltimore

ME

Kebo Vally

Bar Harbor

MI

Ann Arbor Golf & Outing Club

Ann Arbor

MO

Glen Echo CC

Normandy

2/21/1901
MO

Normandie

St. Louis

1901/03

MS

Great Southern

Gulfport

MT

Butte CC

Butte

1899/1908

NC

Pinehurst #1

Pinehurst

1897/1898

ND

Fargo CC

Fargo

NE

Field Club of Omaha

Omaha

NH

Exeter Country Club

Exeter

NM

The Lodge Golf Course

Cloudcroft

NV

Glenbrook Club

Glenbrook

1924/1926

OH

Ottawa Park Golf Course

Toledo

OK

Guthrie Golf & Country Club

Guthrie

OR

Gearhart Golf Links

Gearhart

PA

Foxburg Country Club

Foxburg

SC

Palmetto Golf Club

Aiken

SD

Minnehaha Country Club

Sioux Falls

TN

Chattanooga Golf & CC

Chattanooga

TX

Hancock Park

Austin

UT

Forest Dale Golf Course

Salt Lake City

VA

The Old Course

Hot Springs

WA

Tacoma C&CG

Tacoma

1894/1905

WY

Kemmerer Field Club

Kemmerer

Nigel Islam

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
Ken,

Woodstock in Indiana is older than Riverside. It was the original Country Club of Indianapolis. The history is on the CCI website. South Bend had a course prior to this, but I don't think it still exists. Maybe Ken Fry might know more about that?

Phil McDade

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
Is Ann Arbor generally recognized as the oldest in Michigan? Dating to 1901, according to this list, it seems odd that the state would not have a pre-1900 course/club, given that several nearby states -- Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois -- have several pre-1900 courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back