News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Peter Thomson New
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
While in Australia, Joe and I were treated like kings. During one gathering where we made new friends and matched faces to names, Mike Clayton went on about the best book featuring golf course architecture he had read in recent times ... and I had never heard of it! It was Peter Thomson’s book originally published a decade ago entitled Lessons I Have Learned and recently reprinted by Slattery Media as A Life in Golf. Chris Kane very generously gave me his copy and I ingested the ~200 page book as we bounced around Oz and NZ.

Mike was spot on and happily, Geoff Slattery, the book’s publisher kindly agreed to work with GolfClubAtlas and let us conduct a ‘Feature Interview’ from the material in the book. Yes, I could have interviewed Mr. Thomson directly but why ask him to regurgitate what he had already so eloquently penned (with Steve Perkin's help)? Besides, this book is a must for golf architecture fans and I wanted to give it a shove. It can (and should!) be purchased at https://itun.es/au/FpKbQ.l or https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/a-life-in-golf.

I don't want to keep repeating myself but Mr. Thomson is a devastatingly good writer. As most of you know, GolfClubAtlas is so named as a homage to The World Atlas of Golf and the single most eye-opening entry in that tome is Thomson's Royal Melbourne. Interestingly enough in A Life of Golf, Thomson’s kindest words aren't directed at Alister MacKenzie or the sprawling bunkers for which the Sandbelt is world-renowned. Not surprising for a five (!) time Open champion, he prefers smaller bunkers and doesn't mind, in the least, if they are sometimes hidden from view. Those beliefs are evident among his designs. Born in 1929 this student of the game, world-traveler and keen observer is a true link to the Golden Age. When he speaks, his words carry clout.

After the most recent restoration at Pinehurst, I gave a talk there and wistfully suggested how great it would have been if Ballesteros had played the restored No.2 in his prime. Watching the Maestro play shots around those greens and win the US Open would have been marvelous. Such an occurrence would also have been a testament to how the USGA had progressed in their course set-ups. In another Walter Mitty-like moment, I think about Thomson and Oakmont. What a delight to watch one of the game's great tacticians plot his way around that hazard-laden course. If Mother Nature cooperates and Oakmont is firm, I reckon that Thomson's mind and putting would have enabled him a real chance in his prime, even if he was approaching the greens with x club more than the bombers.

Anyway, this publication reminds me of Harvey Penick's uber-successful The Little Red Book and it deserves to do just as well. Hope you enjoy his words in this June ‘interview’, get the book and learn as much as I did.

Best,
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:25:35 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Scott Macpherson

Re: Feature Interview with Peter Thomson
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »
Ran,

I congratulate you on raising the awareness of this fabulous book. I, like you, digested it quickly and enjoyed the insights and prose of a very clever and talented man. He is an ambassador for our game and this book will appeal to a broad range of readers – perhaps even some non-golfers.

There are a selection of black and white photos in the book which show 'Thomo' at age 15 and up to more recent years. He won 5 Opens, but could have won 9. Few golfers have ever dominated the game like him, and been so gracious along the way.

I have the updated 2013 edition and may I follow you in also recommending this book to GCA readers.

Scott

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
Thanks Ran.  I know I own a Thomson book and will have to check to see if it is the same one. 

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
  Terrific idea for an interview; and well cited. I am impressed but not surprised.   
Thompson certainly had strong philosophies that should prove timeless and worthy of further study. 
 Thanks again Ran for keeping up the highest standards.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:21:05 PM by Norbert P »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:01:56 PM »

Many, many moons ago I was fortunate enough to see him play 'live' rather than via TV.

For those unfamiliar with his game he had a lovely simple and economical action - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2BKFSw_Ko - and deft touch plus his '15th club' was at a level the likes of which only a few others may ever have reached.

22 points in this 'interview' and pretty difficult to disagree with any of the points he makes.

Atb

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »
I was actually searching for this book. Can only find it on Kindle which I don't really do. Anyone know where you can order it in Europe/UK?

Thanks
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
David

I have a spare copy of the original edition you can have

I will be in Amsterdam from July 12 to 16 and will playing at Noordwijkse the afternoon of Wednesday 13 July and i am happy to leave it there if it you would like me to

Andrew

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
Thomson was the golf writer I read as a kid.He wrote in The Age corresponding from all over the world and reporting on tournaments at home.

At the first playing of The Australian Open at Jack Nicklaus' new Australian course he utterly slaughtered the golf course with a withering critique. 'Packer  Money Wasted' (Kerry Packer financed the work) was the headline. In one line he likened water by the greens to 'an American fad like fins on Cadillacs'
If I or any other architect had written it the wrath from on high would have been extraordinary.
Yet people so respected his opinions and the only ones upset were likely a section of the membership who defended the Nicklaus work - since completely redone.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:34:29 AM by Mike_Clayton »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »
Not sure what's better - the idea for this interview or the execution.  Simple concepts clearly expressed. The only criticism might be how little there is to argue with.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:08:13 PM »
David

I will be in Amsterdam from July 12 to 16 and will playing at Noordwijkse the afternoon of Wednesday 13 July and i am happy to leave it there if it you would like me to

Andrew

Wow! I'm reminded of Scott Warren's tag line, though I'm going from memory as I don't see him posting much these days - GCA.com: The freemasonry of golf (was that it?) Stuff like this is one of the things I love most about this discussion group. A very nice gesture, Andrew.

David Davis

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 03:30:43 AM »
David

Andrew

Andrew,

That's incredibly generous indeed. I'm a little concerned however with the fact that you are headed all the over here to The Netherlands and I'm only now hearing about it. Please check your PM.

Cheers,

David
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
You could have done the interview in person if only to chat about Brora, he loves the place and will be there this month.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »
I will apply to get the book.  I love how the Aussies turn a phrase and it seems Thomo and his writer assistant are very descriptive in their lingo. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 06:40:37 AM »
Was able to get iBook for $7.99. Would have preferred a book book! Alas, this was easier

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »
David

Andrew

Wow! I'm reminded of Scott Warren's tag line, though I'm going from memory as I don't see him posting much these days - GCA.com: The freemasonry of golf (was that it?) Stuff like this is one of the things I love most about this discussion group. A very nice gesture, Andrew.

I believe you nailed it. But I should admit I stole it from Bob Huntley!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »
I had the opportunity to interview Peter Thomson in person twenty years ago when we were working on a documentary about the 18 best holes in the world.  He was even gracious enough to go out and play some shots on the 6th hole at Royal Melbourne to help us illustrate its merits.

The one answer here which stood out for me was in his defense of slower greens as giving the pros more trouble.  He seems to say that slow greens rewarded good iron play because the sloppier your approach, the harder you had to hit the putt to get it to the hole.  That makes perfect sense to me based on the speeds of the old days, but I have never heard anyone say it that way in any of the old books.  Perhaps it was just so obvious it didn't need to be said.

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 01:14:20 PM »
The greatest experiences in my playing career were in Australia
I loved the golf and the people treated me incredibly well.  I played well enough
On a few occasions to be interviewed and chat with Peter, and have to say it was
A great experience.  Getting compliments from Peter about the way I played Kingston Heath was possibly the most meaningful compliment I received as a player.

I loved reading his column when I played in Australia.  Honest is not strong enough to describe it.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »
Did he practice what he preached in terms of his design?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
Great read Ran.

I was particularly interested in what he had to say about green speeds.

'Observing professional golf, I have noticed that slow greens are more difficult to putt on. How often do you hear players complain about slow greens, saying they couldn’t get the play up to the hole. And if slow greens are a problem to deal with, then that’s what we should have when there is a championship.

It would be nice to believe that the tours might give this a go as it would be a good thing for the game as a hole IMO.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »
I have found three copies of the little book at the centre of Ran's "interview" . Two old copies (similar in appearance to Harvey Penick's Little Red Book) and a later re-work of the same text. Anyone interested in securing a copy can PM me, and I will pass on the details of the second hand bookstore.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
A Kindle version of the book can also be purchased from Amazon.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back