News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

TOC in Reverse
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:55:34 AM »
Given how benign the Old Course played during the Open Championship last week due to the lack of wind and inclement weather, is it possible, let alone practical, to alternate the direction it plays per round in a future Open Championship? I would love it if the next time the championsihp is held there to have rounds #1 and #3 play the reverse routing and rounds #2 and #4 the traditional routing. It would be super entertaining from a viewership and spectator standpoint and extremely challenging for the pros who'd have to plan and prepare for two course layouts.

I'm not sure if par changes with the reverse routing, but that shouldn't matter or have any impact on the results. This would be something truly unique and novel for tournament golf, let alone championship golf and is a feature that sets the TOC apart from all other rota courses that casual fans and even some true blue fans aren't aware even exists. I don't know if it's even been tried previously or at least in the modern era, but one of the characteristics of TOC that sets it apart from all other highly ranked courses in the world is that it has a reverse routing. The R&A should take advantage this and introduce something new to the world of tournament golf courtesy of the home of golf. Go figure?
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Marty Bonnar

Re: TOC in Reverse
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 11:45:02 AM »
The Course - in its currently maintained state - isn’t particularly well-suited to the reverse routing. There’s too many lumps of gorse, etc in the ‘wrong’ places, to take it beyond ‘quirky’ and not really suitable for proper tournament golf.
Very nice idea though and with a bit of work could be achievable.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »
The TV towers behind various greens would be a problem.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 11:53:17 AM »

Similarly, practical stuff like spectator crossing points, Stand locations, etc, would also get increasingly complicated.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 12:03:40 PM »

Are there even towers on the double greens considering balls travel towards them from opposite directions? I only see this being an issue with the standalone greens. If the double greens can get by without TV towers, why not the single greens as well?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 01:14:53 PM »

Yes.  When we were building The Loop there was a serious enquiry about hosting a tournament there, and this was one of the main objections.  It would be a cool place for a multi-day event though!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 03:57:33 PM »
With ongoing developments in camera and drone technology etc etc will TV towers behind greens be necessary in the future? Some form of caddy-cam might be interesting, ie caddy actually holding a mini-camera with Trackman type technology built-in. Dan Dare scenario maybe but one day maybe not.
Atb

James Reader

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 05:09:39 PM »

Are there even towers on the double greens considering balls travel towards them from opposite directions? I only see this being an issue with the standalone greens. If the double greens can get by without TV towers, why not the single greens as well?

There were TV towers behind each half of the double greens and stands behind the first and second greens.  There’s no way that they could play the usual and reverse courses in the same event.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 06:22:41 PM »
There were TV towers behind each half of the double greens and stands behind the first and second greens.  There’s no way that they could play the usual and reverse courses in the same event.
Thanks for confirming. That's unfortunate, as I think it would be super cool, unique and exciting to see the pros take on both routings of TOC. Where else in the world of golf is that even possible outside of The Loop? Problem with The Loop it's in the middle of freakin' nowhere Michigan. LOL! Don't get me wrong, it's a great golf getaway destination, but nowhere near a PGA Tour friendly venue from a logistics point of view. I hope with the advancements of Drone technology TV towers behind greens won't be needed in future golf telecasts opening up the possibility of a multiple routing Open Championship at TOC.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 03:02:27 AM »
Cool idea. There might be some negatives but where there's a will there's a way. Special event (LIV!!!!!!! :) ) or the Dunhill Cup maybe?
atb

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 03:53:50 AM »
Mike Bodo (and Martin Bonnar - 15 years on from 'The Reverse Experience')

I wonder whether 9 and 10 could be played up the opposite corridor (the right side on each, in lieu of the left side).
Play 7 as per normal, 8 tee to right side of 8/10 green near 11 tee, then move to a tee between 10 green and 11 tee for a temporary 9 tee played to the right side of 9.
Then move behind the left side of 9 green and play down the corridor to the right side near where 8 green would be pinned.

If that was done, you could also consider including playing #7 to the 11 Green (straight across Strath - frightening), #8 from #12 tee to #10 green, then 9 and 10 as above follows by 11 from near 9 green to 11 green.

That is what we did in the Reverse, just use #12 tee twice though (the Reverse 12 tee in 2007 was rubbish).

And, if you were feeling really quirky, you could throw in 9 and 10 as diagonal holes, crossing over the bunkers in the middle of the fairway.  This is already achieved somewhat when 10 pin is played far right.

I don't think camera positions would affect this.  As good as playing #7 to the 11th green is, it is a bit of a let down playing 11 along a different corridor to 7 green.
Good fun to discuss, but I think a little quirk is enough - a couple of holes perhaps set up differently, not 4 or 6, or 18.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike Bodo

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 07:08:00 AM »
Cool idea. There might be some negatives but where there's a will there's a way. Special event (LIV!!!!!!! :) ) or the Dunhill Cup maybe?
atb
LMAO!! TD, I like your thinking.   ;D ;D ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 07:10:16 AM »
The Old Course in reverse is around 6500 yards long.
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Gallant

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 07:24:41 AM »
Why not for the Walker Cup? Alternate routings between the morning and the afternoon. Less infrastructure. And only a handful of games on the course, so crossing, etc wouldn't really be an issue. I would love to see those players try to attack a back pin on 1 green (read 17). 

Mike Bodo

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 07:28:55 AM »
The Old Course in reverse is around 6500 yards long.
I'm sure the powers at the R&A could find way to lengthen the reverse routing, even if it meant using tees our putting tees on the neighboring coures. The traditional routing does this now.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2022, 09:36:01 AM »

Reverse 2. 6, 7 are shockers, you would not want to play a monthly medal on them let alone the Walker Cup.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »
Reverse 2. 6, 7 are shockers, you would not want to play a monthly medal on them let alone the Walker Cup.
I confident you’re correct but if it’s at StA/TOC and it’s entertainment then who gives a damn whether the course is shocking or challenging or a past it’s sell bye date relic or anything else! Cha-ching only! :)
Atb

Mike Bodo

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 11:22:08 AM »
I think the novelty of seeing the Old Course played in reverse during an Open Championship would be a shocker to the majority of spectators - both casual viewers and golf enthusiasts alike - many who have no clue the course was intended to be played this way. I think it would shed an entirely new light on the Old Lady and make it even more sought after to play than it is now. Heck, I would go so far to say TOC could be a trend setter for a reversible course boom (get ready for more calls, Mr. Doak  ;) ). Wouldn't that be something? One of the oldest golf courses know to man leading an entirely new renaissance. Old Tom would be proud.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 03:44:46 PM »
I think the novelty of seeing the Old Course played in reverse during an Open Championship would be a shocker to the majority of spectators - both casual viewers and golf enthusiasts alike - many who have no clue the course was intended to be played this way. I think it would shed an entirely new light on the Old Lady and make it even more sought after to play than it is now. Heck, I would go so far to say TOC could be a trend setter for a reversible course boom (get ready for more calls, Mr. Doak  ;) ). Wouldn't that be something? One of the oldest golf courses know to man leading an entirely new renaissance. Old Tom would be proud.
‘The True TOC Visitor Experience’. Say £3,000 or whatever large £ number to include for a round on TOC in both directions using yee olde refinished hickory clubs and replica era balls and a caddy plus photos/video and a few memorabilia type trinkets. Overnight stay needed for separate direction play so more do$h gets spent. Cha-ching?
Atb

PS - be great if it stimulated more reversible courses.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 03:47:33 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 03:57:55 PM »

‘The True TOC Visitor Experience’. Say £3,000 or whatever large £ number to include for a round on TOC in both directions using yee olde refinished hickory clubs and replica era balls and a caddy plus photos/video and a few memorabilia type trinkets. Overnight stay needed for separate direction play so more do$h gets spent. Cha-ching?
Atb

PS - be great if it stimulated more reversible courses.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sign me up! Does the package include one round of golf with Old Tom? If so, I want a photo taken with him on the Swilken bridge. LOL!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 07:02:56 PM »
Mike,

You're in luck, turns out he was just there, upgraded outfit and all!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 06:50:36 AM »
Mike,

You're in luck, turns out he was just there, upgraded outfit and all!

OMG! That is CLASSIC!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You're right. Put period piece attire on him, a pipe in his hand and the cap Old Tom wore and you just about have his twin. Great find and good to start the day with a laugh.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back