News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2017, 03:44:33 AM »

The British never did follow the European guidelines on this. Another amazing reason why The UK is leaving Europe. They've always ignored the things they didn't like anyway.

Like every other country in the EU and the EU itself or there would be no Eurozone Ally not even the Germans met all the prerequisites  ::)

Niall C

« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »

At some point they would need to get panning permission for development

Niall

If you are concerned about "panning" permission, you need to visit Helmsdale and their golden burns  I think Chuckie Windsor has financial interests there.  There is also a 9-hole golf course that spawned one of the greatest amateur players in the north of Scotlandi in the past 40+ years, Stuart Shaw,

Rich

Rich

Me and my fat fingers !

Re Helmsdale - I did a drive by a couple of years ago but didn't play as it looked a bit of a field to be honest. Did I miss much ?

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »

Niall,

Helmsdale is what it says on the tin namely a small nine holer in small coastal village. It is not going to set the golf world on fire but then again the greenfee reflects this and I would recommend playing it if you have the time to spare. Courses like Helmsdale will be far more grateful for your greenfee money and almost certainly spend it more wisely than many of the bigger clubs.

James Boon did a short course tour on the linked thread though it appears the photos are no longer showing. Just scroll up a few posts and maybe they will be showing for you.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58483.msg1375768.html#msg1375768

Jon

Howard Riefs

« Reply #403 on: December 05, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
Coul Links was covered on Golf Channel's 'Morning Drive' today...

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/design-week-news-royal-dornoch-and-coul-links/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
Pedro
.......Rich's posts over the years about Dornoch in his earlier days, and even with your more (relatively) recent experiences...... 

Fake News, Pedro!

I've physically and emotionally been connected to Dornoch for 40+ years, and know more than any other poster here regarding it's past, present and future.  You might be advised to read my book, "Experience Royal Dornoch", or at the very least my free IMO on this site.

All the best

Ricardo
Will that be the opinion from within the Dornoch cocoon about RD and not it's standing within the rest of the North East golf community.
 I don't think that's changed a lot in the last 40 years either :-)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #405 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
My observation, Andrew is that RD is not well looked upon by the rest of the NE golfing fraternity, for various reasons.  When I started spending serious time in the area in the early 1980's, the best golfers of Brora, Golspie and Tain played the in the big competitions (Carnegie Shield, Sinclair Cup, etc.) and vice versa.  In the last 10-20 years this camaraderie seems to have disappeared.  Alas.  Any theories why?

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
Rich

As a matter of interest, how easy is it to get into the Carnegie Shield, Sinclair Cup etc ? The reason I ask that is I now that when I was at Moray, getting into Moray Open week took a bit of doing. Not making excuses for there non-participation but I know at Moray it was almost like dead mans shoes.

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »
Yo Niall

The Carnegie Shield is a lottery, unless you are a 3HCP or less.  The higher handicap group is 8-9HCP and above and more foregiving.  The Sinclar Cup used to be open to all, but it is now an elite event with SGU points for the leaders.  7-8 is possibly the cut off.  One of the best opens is the Burghfield Cup/  Teams of 3, best two of the three (net) wins the cup.   Each team needs at least one 12HCP and below and one 13HCP and above..  Cheap as chips with another Open (for the Hangover Trophy) on Sunday.  Only cup in the Clubhouse that has my name on it.  Do you know any 13+ bandits who are also good company?

In all cases, check into the RDGC website ASAP and be ready to put in an entry as soon as the gates open.

Slainte

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
Played in an Open at Dornoch about a zillion years ago....£10....persimmon and blades and balata. A Sunday and very quiet as I recall, mind that was perhaps because of the rain on the day.
atb

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #409 on: December 10, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »
I was just watching a replay of the Golf Channel on gca and apparently Arnold Palmer Design is starting on a second course at Castle Stuart in 2018 - does that affect anyone's opinion on the construction of Coul Links?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #410 on: December 10, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

Jerry,

I have not heard of that having any effect on the Coul Links project. Different planning areas for a start and different land type I would imagine.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #411 on: December 10, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »
Is a Coul development likely to have any effect, either directly or indirectly, on Skibo/Carnegie or vice versa? Just wondering.
Atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #412 on: December 10, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
Is a Coul development likely to have any effect, either directly or indirectly, on Skibo/Carnegie or vice versa? Just wondering.
Atb

I'm sure there will be some sort of financial linkage between Coull and Skibo in terms of reciprocal access, but not much more.

Slaingte
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #413 on: December 10, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
One of the best opens is the Burghfield Cup/  Teams of 3, best two of the three (net) wins the cup.   Each team needs at least one 12HCP and below and one 13HCP and above..  Cheap as chips with another Open (for the Hangover Trophy) on Sunday.  Only cup in the Clubhouse that has my name on it.  Do you know any 13+ bandits who are also good company?

I can get there.  How much time do I need?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #414 on: December 10, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
Lou: You definitely are a bandit. ;)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #415 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »
Lou

Don't try to play your next 20 rounds left handed to get you up from 3 to 13 by May.  There are other strategies available.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

James Boon

« Reply #416 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
If I turn up to Buda in May and Lou is claiming a 13 handicap, I'll quit golf  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #417 on: December 15, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »

[size=78%]https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/our-positions-and-casework/casework/cases/coul-links/[/size]

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2017, 04:05:48 AM »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #419 on: December 18, 2017, 04:29:37 AM »
I am afraid the RSPB is more a political lobby group only interested in preventing any sort of development. I am unsurprised by the inaccuracies in their report. There is a reason they are disliked by most highland landowners.

David_Tepper

« Reply #420 on: December 21, 2017, 12:35:37 PM »

jeffwarne

« Reply #421 on: December 21, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »
I am afraid the RSPB is more a political lobby group only interested in preventing any sort of development. I am unsurprised by the inaccuracies in their report. There is a reason they are disliked by most highland landowners.

It would help if Trump hadn't bastardized the land and landowners around his course when he developed it.
Scotland certainly would be better off without that monstrosity/conduct and its understandable how those looking at Coul could be gun shy-especially if they haven't done their homework on Keiser and lump him into a bad American developer basket.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #423 on: December 21, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
I’m afraid I didn’t find Mr Warnock’s explication any more compelling than any previous material.
Scotland still has more than enough golf courses as it is.
Regards,
Mr M Bonnar.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #424 on: December 23, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
Jeff,

What is ironic is that one of the main opponents to the development at Coul Links was Trump's environmental expert at Aberdeen which he backed.

Marty,

Whether Scotland has enough golf courses or not is personal opinion and certainly no way to decide if the project should be given the green light or not. Coul Links is going to do a lot more for the area around Embo than just bring another golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back