News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »
I have been watching Ken Burns' film series on the history of the National Parks, which has been re-airing this past week on PBS here in the USA. This discussion reminds me that it's ironic or perhaps symbolic that John Muir, a Scotsman in American, was so influential in getting Yosemite protected as one of the first national parks.

Just curious:  have you ever been to Banff or Jasper or Cape Breton Highlands?  They provide a different take on recreation in national parks, because the Canadian government was a few years later to the party about protecting the land, and they worked in concert with the national railways.  All three are wonderful golf courses that bring many visitors to the parks each year, and seem to coexist with nature quite nicely.  At Jasper, some of the holes are fenced off to keep the big animals out, but others are unfenced to allow the animals to move across.  I highly recommend seeing any or all of them.

I'm not against conservation; I just don't know where it ends.  You could easily make the case that any of our great courses are on land that should have been preserved.  The pine barrens of southern New Jersey are now largely protected, to give one example.  Cypress Point is another obvious one, the California Coastal Commission would just say no today.  The property I saw yesterday would be off limits, too, but fortunately won't be, because of where it is.  I'm just skeptical of the people who draw their lines in the sand.

Sean_A

« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2016, 04:06:07 AM »
Tom

I am skeptical of much, including development on land which was deemed important enough to preserve.  The world is getting ever smaller and any chance we have to properly preserve environments is worth exploring so far as I am concerned.  I am not saying the Embo site is worth saving, but I have no problem with no golf courses in national parks because they either be public government owned courses which compete against private enterprise or rich men's playground courses at the expense of public land.  Neither scenario makes sense to me.  Sometimes, leaving things be is progress. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2016, 05:35:04 AM »
Sean

I think maybe the issue here is that a lot of folk tend to look at this in terms of black and white. As Tom alludes to in his post about the Canadian courses, and the point I was trying to make in my earlier post, there is absolutely no reason why golf courses can’t fit comfortably within or add to a national park or environmentally sensitive area, depending on how they are done. After all a golf course is only areas of cut grass that provide a habitat for all sorts of species.

The SSSI designation doesn’t mean no development (a golf course is a development, as is a coastal path, in the strict meaning of planning legislation) it just means you have to tread carefully and take into consideration the environmental issues. Many existing courses have SSSI designation on part or all of their course Are the environmental issues such at Embo that that you couldn’t fit a golf course in on what is I believe 250/300 acres ? I don’t know but I doubt it.

Niall

BHoover

« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
Tom, I have not been to those parks in Canada that you referenced. I'm sure they are wonderful, and there are absolutely examples of places where golf courses can co-exist and/or complement nature. I don't dispute that.

But personally, I do believe there are certain places of national (and even international) interest that ought to remain entirely undeveloped and preserved for wildlife and enjoyment for future generations as raw, natural spaces. In my mind, placing a golf course or other development in the middle of Yosemite or Yellowstone or Acadia or our other national parks would be a shame.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
There is a golf course in Yosemite at Wawona.

Jud_T

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
Niall,
I want to respect the process. When do they ever say no when that economic gain is in play?

Cheers,
Kris

Kris,

Most species would be a lot better off if we wiped humans off the planet.  You obviously have an axe to grind here.  I know nothing of the site, and at the end of the day you may in fact be right that it is a special spot which should remain untouched.  Keiser has been through this before, i.e. Bandon etc., and if there is a chance of doing something which can coexist and perhaps even give some funds back to help protect species, dunes etc. while helping the local area economically and building a low impact course, I'd suggest he may be the best candidate to do so.  The cynic would say better him than someone else.  I'm going to reserve judgement till the process unfolds.  One would hope that lessons were learned from the Trump course and if mistakes were made there they would not be repeated here.  Yes, Keiser is another rich guy who's likely used to getting what he wants, but the difference appears to be that he's not simply a real estate spiv looking to make a buck at all costs (maybe he can promise a huge hotel component with his name emblazoned in gold blinking lights!), but rather a guy who simply wants to build great courses on great sites and is not purely motivated by economics at this point in his career.  This difference is not trivial. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:38:47 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BHoover

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »

I stand corrected. Although, I  prefer that golf courses and other developments stay out of national parks, national forests, etc. Obviously, not everyone agrees with me on this, and that's fine. But I still stand by my statement that there are certain places that should remain raw, natural spaces.

The national parks in this country also were intended as a place for the general public to enjoy nature. So if a golf course is built in these places, it ought to be easily accessible by all. There are other places for high-end destination courses. National parks are not those places, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:20:17 AM by Brian Hoover »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »

I stand corrected. Although, I  prefer that golf courses and other developments stay out of national parks, national forests, etc. Obviously, not everyone agrees with me on this, and that's fine. But I still stand by my statement that there are certain places that should remain raw, natural spaces.

The national parks in this country also were intended as a place for the general public to enjoy nature. So if a golf course is built in these places, it ought to be easily accessible by all. There are other places for high-end destination courses. National parks are not those places, in my opinion.

Yosemite isn't the only one. Highland Links on Cape Cod and Furnace Creek in Death Valley come to mind. Jeez now that I think about it there are at least three in DC national parks alone. Rock Creek, Langston and East Potomac -- heck, if you were of a mind you could nail the NPS's national HQ from the White course.

Obviously the NPS believes golf is an important part of our national parks experience.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
Maybe some of our NPS employees and their families like to golf.  I tried to make the point that golf and wildlife are not necessarily incompatible, but I really don't know squat about Coul, so concluded just to be an observer of the process.  Having been involved in many land use and environmental debates and dealings with USA regulatory agencies, I'm pretty cynical about many things.  I wish the good folks of Scotland and the Dornoch area the best in working this out.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
I'm not suggesting that we start building golf courses in National Parks.  [State parks might be another story.]  Just suggesting that golf goes not have to be a huge threat to the environment, and can coexist to the acceptance of nature lovers if done right.  It's amazing how many times it's been done and done well, yet every new project must overcome the fear that it can't be done!

Niall, the SSSI designation of the dunesland areas at The Renaissance Club was actually VERY strict.  They identified as untouchable both the steeper dune features and patchwork colonies of moss, to the point that 30-40% of the site was deemed untouchable, and the parts remaining were patches of such odd shape and size that we couldn't do very much with them.  In the end, the new 9th green and 10th fairway are all built in areas that had been covered by buckthorn -- which we were mandated to remove as an invasive species -- and only the tees for the 10th are on the dunesland, located in between spots that were off limits.  Sadly, there is no way you could build 18 holes on the 250 acres between Muirfield and The Renaissance and the Firth, based on those rules.

I noticed when I played Gullane after the permitting walk-through that there are many similar patches of moss in the roughs on those courses, but I would assume that there was also moss where there are now fairways before it was built 100+ years ago.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »
See link to article in today's Northern Times with latest update on Coul Links.
While I realize this also invites some well-documented and respected opposing views, the article provides some more detail on the cooperation and support of the neighboring clubs as well as a second article with some opinions and info from Embo.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Clubs-backing-drive-for-new-championship-course-12052016.htm

I could not find a link to the Embo article, so I have pasted the content below from a PDF that was sent to me. To clarify: The link above is about the course and the article below is about Embo.

Embo in line to benefit
A TINY Sutherland community stands to gain
should the Coul Links golf course get the go
ahead.
The seaside village of Embo is being offered a
new facility such as a park or recreation area.
Coul Links developers are currently negotiating
with local farmer Jock Mackintosh to buy a piece
of scrubland near to the village’s football pitch.
Part of the ground would be incorporated into
the new course, which is earmarked to run
alongside the Dornoch Firth at Loch Fleet,
But developers Todd Warnock and Mike Keiser
are offering to provide Embo with a new facility on
the rest of the site.
Mr Warnock said: “The Abel Smith family, who
own the land on which the golf course is to go,
have insisted we make a contribution to the Embo
community and we fully agree.”
Embo resident Jim McGillivray, ward councillor
for East Sutherland and Edderton, has been asked
to lead an Embo Working Group in order to gauge
local feeling on the issue.
Mr Warnock said: “We will meet in early June to
find out what the community input has been and
we will be excited to hear local people’s opinion.”
Councillor McGillivray said the issue was set to
be discussed in the first instance at the AGM of
Embo Trust next Friday.
He said: “There is an interesting discussion to
be had as to what people would like to see put in
place. It is an opportunity for the village.”
Golf course developers intend to preserve
walking paths on the course and build two walking
bothies, one near Embo and the other near Coul
Farm.
Mr Warnock said: “These will be small,
traditional bothies that would provide information
on the walking trails, flora and fauna on the new
course along with its history.
“The walking paths will be clearly designated to
make sure walkers know where the golfers are
and golfers know where the walkers are so both
can live in harmony.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2016, 12:58:13 AM »

Is it as shameful as the one in Glacier Park?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2016, 03:44:41 AM »
"There is nowhere else in the UK that has as many extraordinary links golf courses as closely situated as East Sutherland."

Discuss ;D

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2016, 05:47:40 AM »
"There is nowhere else in the UK that has as many extraordinary links golf courses as closely situated as East Sutherland."

Discuss ;D

Niall

St. Andrews, Gullane, Prestwick, Southport......

Clearly ill informed and misguided ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
Jon & Niall -

In the U.S. we would call a statement like that "Chamber of Commerce hyperbole."

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
Jon & Niall -

In the U.S. we would call a statement like that "Chamber of Commerce hyperbole."

DT

Or Chambers Bay of Commerce?  ;D

Niall C

« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »
David

No offence to Todd Warnock who seems like a good bloke but that's the sort of statement that Trump would make. He maybe just got carried away. That said, there are a lot of very good courses, not necessarily links and not necessarily championship, up that way.

Niall

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2016, 06:21:11 AM »
On the...well the not Coul Links course would only take up a third of that Embo property.  It floods in a fair few places.  A sizeable portion of it is that dune slack scenario, which probably would need a good bit of it to stay as a coastal buffer. Then there is the SSSI.
 So until you really have all the constraint requirements nailed down, it's difficult to know what is actually even viable.
 That proximity disturbance doesn't just go away because you only use a third of the property. It's complicated...that is why you stay away from it and let it function beautifully....as it has for a very long time.

While it's easy to just joke about, or brush aside concerns for that Scottish Wildcat; it's fate is in serious question.
I find it rather shocking that so little has /is being done in Scotland to do some
comprehensve research and determine how best to stabilize/restore the population.
 It basically is the equivalent of the Bald Eagle in significance to Scotland. In some ways it transcends that comparison. It's found no where else on earth and it's current range is tiny in totality.
There is a great opportunity here for the club ( it is the subject of the logo after all) AND Mr. Keiser to forge a way to draw attention to helping the MOST threatened member of that Highland area community ...the Scottish Wildcat.
Why not actually take the lead on something that both golfers, and non- golfers would appreciate and support?
 When does golf do that. Almost never. And that's why so many out there look at golf as the sport of the uncaring elite and somewhat selfish.
What if both his project(wherever it would be built besides that Embo site)  AND the club agreed to donate a couple of quid per round, to a fund established to aid respected Scottish Wildcat research and preservation efforts?
Now THAT would a story to tell. The press coverage that storyline angle could  generate would be off the charts.
It would blow away any Top 50 whatever squalk that only a miniscule fraction of the world cares about.
Think about that. GOLF stepping up to do it's share, to save one of the planet's most endangered species. In Scotland, the real home of golf where it all began. It gets no better than that.
That story, with Keiser's new Wildcat Lnks on a responsible site, and a RD club, with the very species on it's logo, teaming up to make a difference.
That story would leave a not Coul Links in the dust. No matter how high it was ranked!
And who's to say something of equal stature couldn't be crafted at a more responsible site. With the talent of that team, it most certainly could.
Yeh, really nailing it in the way I've described is just a stupid pipe dream from some pie in the sky caddie from America.
It's too big an idea for most to grasp... that we can actually do the right thing.
I should just shut up and wait for the good people of the Highlands to implode their own superb way of life, with outside influence, chasing all that economic gain, that ends up exterminating the very symbol of their unique region.

I'm done. And sadly, so is the Dornoch I fell in love with...barring divine intervention.

No cheers,
Kris
Kris, Having read much of what you’ve written on the local habitat and environment at this area, perhaps you might spare a thought for us, the local indigenous people who are under threat from opinionated incomers who seem to think they know better. As a local to the area I live with and understand nature, it’s benefits and sometimes even its shortcomings, we are capable of all this by using balanced thought and reasoning.[/size]
[/size]Blundering regulations and one size fits all eco politics is a bigger danger than local intuition and understanding of the area for future generations and its requirements.
[/size]As an obviously ill informed and easily mislead local I find it hilarious that you can decry monetary greed against a tiny eco-environment while justifying the price of a round of golf on Pebble against the price of gas!
[/size]On the wildcat issue, reading a couple of stories google has pointed you to only allows you an opinion but it doesn’t mean it’s right. I’ve followed the wildcats plight for decades and I’m only grazing the surface compared to those in a better and more knowledgable position dealing with them. A couple of paragraphs on here isn’t going to do much saying what is happening and the efforts made, yet with your newly googled knowledge you can declare nothing is being done and Scotland has failed the wildcat.

[/size]Oh to live in such a simplistic world.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2016, 10:57:59 AM »
New blog just went up about the Coul Links project with the latest updates on town, council and development meetings.
Bill Coore just made his 4th trip there I am told and left last week.

https://coullinks.wordpress.com/

David_Tepper

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
Andrew,
While it pains me to have to revisit my remarks to correct the potshot mentality the threatened on here frequently demonstrate, It would be irresponsible of me not to address the inaccurate.
Where sir, did I EVER justify the pricing Pebble Beach charges?
Their rates ARE extortionate, but I did point out, regarding the somewhat higher base caddie fees questioned by another poster, that the cost of living in that area is among the highest in the world. But in no way can you construe that into justification...nice try.
Others posting here besides you have tried mightly to assert I'm just an armchair knowledge ranter with some eco-axe to grind.
That couldn't be further from reality.
 I support and applaud responsible projects, be they golf or otherwise.
I just returned from a visit to Sand Valley, the latest Keiser project  being created on a former red pine plantation in Rome, Wisconsin.
 It is a superb site, being returned to more of it's natural state as the course is being built.
I met Michael Jr. while on my visit. We spoke face to face for 20 minutes on a variety of subjects. The Embo project was part of our conversation. I was very candid with him on my take. He respected my position, and said he himself wrestled recently with moving forward on another property they were looking at given the environmental constraints.
It was a thoughtful, classy exchange throughout.
In fact, there is a very good chance I will join that Sand Valley team in some capacity shortly.
See, just because you may disagree on something, that doesn't constitute having no respect for someone, or ability to have a relationship or collaborate.
As to the assertion the extent of my Scottish Wildcat knowledge was just derived from some google search; I've had several in-depth exhanges with Steve Piper, who is directly involved with the Western Highland Wildcat Haven program.
 He gave me a comprehensive overview of their efforts, and also information on some other factions that are approaching it differently.
He stated that the plight of these cats had been grossly underfunded,  and research efforts have suffered from inconsistent data and study in general.
I appreciate you are local. You don't seem to value how special that Embo site is...UNDISTURBED!
Don't worry... IT WILL be built. The bird studies will come in, it will be blessed with some provisions to address that and the SSSI, and the next links monument will find a home in Embo.
It will forever alter that special ground, your town, the greater area, and yes,  hasten more development encroachment on what remains of the wild habitat in the Northern Highlands.
Enjoy the prosperity my friend!
My wife Mairi, who grew up in Dornoch, was coming home late one long summer evening in 1990, having stayed after hours doing some legal work at the office in town.
She was walking across the top course, approaching the par three second green, which sits near the back gate of her family home, when she said she saw a low- crouching cat, unlike any cat she ever saw before, explode out of the left bunker and race across the back of the hole and into the gorse.
She told me she never saw anything move that fast. She was as sober as a church mouse. While it was dusk, she said she clearly could see a longish, bushy tail, and that it was much larger than a normal cat.
She is almost certain it was a Scottish Wildcat. I believe her.
Good luck seeing that again at RD.

Respectfully,
Kris

Ps.- I have never questioned the talent of those involved to do the best they could in building responsibly on that Embo site.
My view, based on: the SSSI areas present, the extensive, unique bird habitat, frequent flooding  that occurs where estuary proximity exists, and the areas awesome NATURAL beauty, rationally assessed in total...demands it should be left as it is. To function wonderfully, as it has, providing a pristine balance for farm, wildlife on both land and sea...and all working to mankind's benefit with the current state it enjoys.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:18:23 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the update David. That structural footprint is getting bigger no?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:22:43 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

David_Tepper

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/environment/14695482.Trump_Mk_II__now_his_business_rival_plans_golf_course_which_threatens_Scottish_environment/?ref=rss

Trump Mk II: now his business rival plans golf course which threatens Scottish environment
5 hrs ago / Exclusive by Rob Edwards

A major row is brewing over plans by a US millionaire to build a golf course on a precious wildlife site in northeast Scotland – but it’s not Donald Trump this time...it’s his business rival.

Mike Keiser, a wealthy businessman behind some of the most expensive and prized golf courses in the world, wants to build one at Coul links, on the coast north of the Dornoch Firth near the village of Embo.

In so doing he will trash a highly protected network of sand dunes treasured for birds, insects and plants just as Trump destroyed the dunes at Menie round the Aberdeenshire coast, experts say.

Conservation and community groups are gearing up for another epic battle with a powerful American tycoon. “It’s the Trump golf fiasco all over again,” said one.

Keiser, famed for his high-ranking Bandon Dunes golf courses in Oregon, was last year labelled as “Trump's biggest rival in the golf business” by US Fortune magazine. He has teamed up with a US banker and entrepreneur, Todd Warnock, who already owns property in Dornoch, to develop Coul links.

They have submitted an application notice to Highland Council, and are now preparing to apply for detailed planning permission. Their 18-hole championship golf course will attract 20,000 visitors a year and put over £6 million a year into the Highland economy, they say.

But it is facing angry and concerted opposition. Dr Tom Dargie, a leading dune expert commissioned but then ignored by Trump at Menie, says that Keiser’s proposal will be much more damaging.

He estimates that a golf course at Coul will destroy 48 hectares of the Loch Fleet sand dune Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This is more than double the area damaged by Trump’s course.

Coul is also part of a special protection area for birds such as teal, wigeon, plovers, and terns. It is home to an array of rare moths, ants and flies, including Fonseca’s seed fly which only lives on that stretch of coast.

“The scheme is simply plain wrong on multiple environmental grounds,” said Dargie, who lives locally. “It could cost more jobs than it creates and risks leaving a burden of severe coastal degradation for future generations.”

Jonathan Hughes, the chief executive of the Scottish Wildlife Trust, lived and worked at Coul in the 1990s. “Like Trump, Keiser has a track record of getting his own way whatever it takes and like Trump, he seems to think protected area laws can be torn up for his own private financial gain,” he told the Sunday Herald.

“Allowing another sand dune SSSI to go the way of the benighted Trump development at Menie would be an unforgiveable and tragic loss of a protected area.”

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) described the plan for Coul as “extremely worrying”. The developer has refused to meet with the society and other conservation groups, it said.

“This is highly unusual and cause for great concern, especially since Scotland has a very poor recent track record dealing with high-profile international golf developers,” argued RSPB Scotland’s planning chief, Aedán Smith.

Craig Macadam from the insect conservation group Buglife, promised to fight the development. “A golf course can be sited anywhere, but many of the species found at Coul are completely reliant on these fragile habitats,” he said.

The government wildlife agency, Scottish Natural Heritage, is awaiting further studies before deciding its stance. Conservationists expect it to object.

David Patterson, who is leading on the case for SNH, said: “The environmental impacts of any development have to be fully understood before we can provide advice on whether or not it should go forward, or whether mitigation is required to minimise any impacts.”

A spokesman for the developers’ agent, the property company JLL, stressed that plans were still at an early stage. Criticisms from conservationists were “therefore without foundation”, he argued.

Keiser and his designers were “world renowned experts in golf course design and construction methods which seek to enhance and preserve the natural environment,” he said.

“We have been in extensive dialogue with Highland Council, Scottish Natural Heritage and other statutory consultees for a considerable period to agree the scope and requirements of numerous environmental studies which will be used to inform the development of the proposals and to undertake an environmental impact assessment.”

Plans for Coul will not be finalised until the findings are known, the spokesman stated. “The project team will continue to consult widely on the proposals and once the detailed design is developed and finalised the proposals will be shared with all relevant interests."

Rich Goodale

« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2016, 03:34:44 AM »
"Craig Macadam from the insect conservation group Buglife...."

Are we sure this is not part of a Monty Python sketch?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back