GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)

<< < (182/223) > >>

Tim Gallant:
Seems this slipped below the radar:

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/decision-on-proposed-new-golf-course-at-coul-links-due-soon-187128/

No decision, but it appears that a recommendation has been provided, and now it's up to the Ministers to give their verdict. I don't know how long this might take, but the paper seemed to think a decision was near.

Tom_Doak:

--- Quote from: Tim Gallant on January 22, 2020, 03:53:46 PM ---Seems this slipped below the radar:

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/decision-on-proposed-new-golf-course-at-coul-links-due-soon-187128/

No decision, but it appears that a recommendation has been provided, and now it's up to the Ministers to give their verdict. I don't know how long this might take, but the paper seemed to think a decision was near.

--- End quote ---

And that headline about an "imminent" decision was posted on November 28 of last year.

The definition of "imminent" is really taking a beating lately.

Lou_Duran:
If "imminent" is used in matters involving government and politics, then it can mean anything.  I've been asking around for news without success.  The word when I was in the area late this past summer was that the decision would be forthcoming by the end of the year- "imminent" in this context- and the expectation was that it would get the green light.  I was near Todd Warnock a couple of times and he seemed to be in fine spirits.

More recently, I've heard rumors from a couple of sources that "the bank" was becoming impatient.  Hard to say if this is more than  unfounded speculation or that the delay can be construed as a bad sign, but ......  I know that another C & C project was scuttled after a 10-year fight with CA interveners with no end in sight for a positive resolution.

During my last visit to Dornoch I spent several hours over three days walking the east (seaside) and west boundaries of the CL site, and diagonally across from west to east.  I don't know who produced the video linked by Tim, but they should receive an Academy Award for editing in the Fantasy category.

The site has some interesting minor dunes in the interior, but I didn't see any areas with sea views without bulldozing spaces on large high dunes along the beach (I am nearly sure that this won't happen) or raising some of the higher points considerably.  To the best of my knowledge, the design is more minimalist in style, though I have to believe that they will have to move some dirt around (I am not sure that it is all sand).

The property has been used for dumping, primarily dead trees and other vegetation, and has many areas that accumulate water.  I didn't see very much other debris, but reports are that it was used in the past for grazing and hunting- who knows what the vegetation might be hiding.

Though it is grown-in with invasive vegetation and small thickets, the only wildlife of note I witnessed was a small deer and a grouse.  The only people I saw around the property were a relative few on the beach, and an older couple walking on a path along the western boundary.  Perhaps I was there at the wrong time during three separate visits in different months, and a year apart.

It would be a shame for the area if the site is forced to languish in its current condition in perpetuity.  Seems like the idiom of looking at a gift horse in the mouth has an application here.

Garland Bayley:

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on January 22, 2020, 04:34:32 PM ---...
The definition of "imminent" is really taking a beating lately.

--- End quote ---

LOL

Or, as some people write, "eminent."

;D

Niall C:
Lou

https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDetails.aspx?id=119883

Not sure the above link will work but it is basically the same link as on www.coullinksgolf.com. It has all the cut and thrust of the planning process with publication of the various submissions. If you spend a bit of time perusing the submissions you will first note the delay in the latter part of the process has been down almost entirely to the applicant who has repeatedly broken agreed deadlines by quite some margin. If the deadlines had been met the report very likely would have gone to the Ministers several months earlier than the end of November which is when it was sent.

If you also go through the submissions, assuming you have the time, you'll get a better idea of the environmental and ecological issues. Deer and grouse don't really feature from memory.

Niall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version