GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)

<< < (180/223) > >>

Sean_A:

--- Quote from: Lou_Duran on March 26, 2019, 10:34:08 PM ---

As to Sean's civic lesson, it is clear that he's been away too long.  What I can do with my property is largely dependent on which state the property is in, and within that state, the city or local jurisdiction involved.  Then there are issues dealing with water, flood prone areas, wetlands, etc. in which the Feds (CoE, EPA, Fish & Wildlife, etc.) have a lot of sway.

An example is a Dallas course which completed a major renovation recently that was deemed highly successful but for one thing, not enough trees were taken out.  The architect was first to acknowledge the shortcoming, noting that for an additional $1 Million payment to the city, it could have removed the offending trees (the city supposedly would use the money to plant an equal # of caliper feet on its many properties).

In contrast, my old club near Arlington, less than 30 miles away, was sold to a warehouse developer who proceeded to clear cut the site.  The city involved didn't have a tree ordinance and the site had been zoned nearly 70 years earlier as part of a gigantic industrial park.  Ironically, part of the golf property along Johnson Creek was under the auspices of the CoE, but the developers were able to stay away from the affected areas.

Back to civics, the S in USA stands for States, not State.  The 13 states came together to form a union only on the condition of each mostly maintaining their sovereign rights.  Without getting into negative and positive rights, suffice it to say that the framers had in mind a very limited federal government with much of the responsibilities of governing left with the states and whatever jurisdictions each charters.

As to the voting history here, how many centuries did it take for the UK to allow most of its citizens to vote?  And, BTW, how well is it working?  It is absolute nonsense that certain people are disenfranchised unjustly in the U.S., unless of course one is talking about conservative voters in any number of large blue cities and states.  But that and having skin in the game are whole other discussions.       

--- End quote ---

Sweet Lou

My point was merely to show the relationship between property rights, voting rights and individual rights. IMO it is quite obvious that property rights are better protected in the US than in the UK.  I made no comment on current disenfranchisement...just the past...and calling it chequered is a soft criticism given history.  I don't pay much attention to disenfranchisement, but unless things have changed, you may wish to look into WDC.  The Puerto Rican set up is very odd as well. People tell me wars are started over this stuff.  8)

I know nothing about voter rights in the UK other than PA 1918 and 1928 and the idea of plural voting(!). For sure, the UK doesn't have a stellar record regarding this issue.

Ciao

James Brown:
OMG, somebody kill this thread!  36 pages of squabbling!

Lou_Duran:

--- Quote from: James Brown on March 28, 2019, 11:06:17 PM ---OMG, somebody kill this thread!  36 pages of squabbling!

--- End quote ---

Ok with the censors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDEr9R0snU

John Crowley:

--- Quote from: James Brown on March 28, 2019, 11:06:17 PM ---OMG, somebody kill this thread!  36 pages of squabbling!

--- End quote ---

+1

James Brown:

--- Quote from: Lou_Duran on March 30, 2019, 11:26:50 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Ok with the censors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDEr9R0snU

--- End quote ---

I am a new member at Royal Dornoch and I have my own mixed feelings about a another course just down the road, but the last 20+ posts have been about properly rights in the EU and UK.  I know those are real issues.  They just have nothing to add about golf course architecture in my view, 

Although they do represent the nature of the arguments about every new land development project on a coast. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version