GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)

<< < (177/223) > >>

Niall C:

--- Quote from: Lou_Duran on March 21, 2019, 03:30:47 PM ---Finally, the SSSI site at Embo was effectively chosen at random. There was no study done of the site at the time, the amount of money spent on it in all those years is £0 and there is no maintenance plan which shows how important the site really is. It was chosen to make up the numbers (or area)     Jon W (from page 34)

Bryan-

If what Jon states is fact, the due diligence is in this context, i.e. the burden of proof might be better placed on those who claim the scientific importance of the few acres involved in this project.  Me, and you know me well enough to understand where I am coming from, I will take the word of a local, highly-regarded economist with a vested interest in his club and the area over the political orientations of the governing elite hundreds of miles away. The highly regarded economist that you refer to is also a government adviser and therefore part of that government elite hundreds of miles away (201 miles from Edinburgh to Embo to be exact).               If you consider Mr. Keiser's extensively proven record and his willingness to invest his own money in the project (this is about as 180° different than the typical Solyndra government boondoggle as it can get), I think it is reasonable to believe the pro-CL story.
So basically if you have the money you get a free hand ? I’m still trying to get a handle on where you see Scotland, is it the 51st state, a soviet satellite or some third world country where money counts above all else ?

As to Trump International, maybe we'll be able to talk about it in 10 years if we are still able to make sense.  Regardless, do you really see any similarities?   Would Dundonald be a closer comparison with less competition?
The comparison between Embo and Balmedie is/was the environmentally sensitive nature of both sites; how the respective developers are arguing an economic case to over-ride planning policy; and in doing so promoting and ingratiating themselves with the locals.
In that respect there is no real comparison with Dundonald which used to be a golf course before closing down and being turned over for grazing. It simply didn’t have the same environmental designation. Likewise Dumbarnie which had a similar history.

The closest might be Mach Dunes which was farmland with pockets of SSSI from memory. There the developer chose to respect the designation, work with the respective environmental and planning agencies and design round the sensitive areas rather than build over them. KB and CS were mostly farmland and therefore there was no SSSI designation on any part of the site as far as I’m aware.    

Yes, the CL project is up to the Scots.  So is it up to the members of Augusta National how to maintain their course; the USGA on how it manages the ball and equipment rules; the members of Congressional CC on who to bring in to renovate the course, etc.  None of this stops us from opining passionately and voluminously.  I do hope to spend some of my summers up near there and I could see playing CL on the occasional open or "coupon day".

--- End quote ---

Niall C:
Bryan

I'm not sure how anyone can say Dundonald has less classic links course competition than the proposed course at Embo.  You can stand on a fairway at Dundonald and hit a ball over the railway line onto Western Gailes with a lob wedge. You can also hit from Dundonald over the fence onto Kilmarnock Barrasie with a 9 iron. Hitting Glasgow Gailes takes a bit more effort as it will likely need a 3 wood to reach the Gailes practice area unless you’re a big hitter.

Also in half the time that it takes to drive from Embo to Brora you can drive from to Dundonald to 12 other venerable (ie. old/classic) links courses beyond the 3 I’ve just mentioned.

That’s 15 links courses in total within 15 minutes drive including a former Open course (Prestwick), a current Open course (Royal Troon) and at least 5 other courses that have been Open Qualifiers at some point in time (Glasgow Gailes, Western, Irvine Bogside, Troon Portland, Troon Lochgreen).

Anyway, in the words of the good Professor, is not all about agglomeration ?

Niall

Niall C:
Bryan

I forgot to add, if you want some info on SSSI see link below. It will tell you nearly all you need to know. I say "nearly" as unfortunately they forgot to include the bit where the government elite get together to pick the SSSI’s by putting on blindfolds and then sticking pins in the map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_of_Special_Scientific_Interest

Niall

Tim Gallant:
Just as a quick update - the enquiry has now ended. It looks like the coalition (against) will have 2 weeks to provide their closing submission with conditions, then the council will have an additional week, and then the applicant one final week to submit theirs. All told, all closing submissions will be in by April 22. My guess is it will take a few weeks / month for a decision to be made thereafter. Looking increasingly like end of May / June before a decision is made.

Bryan Izatt:

Niall,

I was trying to gently respond to Lou's assertion that "Would Dundonald be a closer comparison with less competition?"  I'm well aware of the many classic links courses near Dundonald.

In looking at the background of SSSI's, I've been looking at the Scottish National Heritage site.  http://www.nature.scot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version