GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)

<< < (2/223) > >>

Ken Moum:
You know, it's selfish as hell of me but I really hope this never gets built. Or at least not until I am done traveling to Scotland.

The folks at Golspie and Brora already lust after the kind of money that Dornoch visitors pay, and a Keiser course between Golspie and Dornoch will likely bring them enough traffic to spoil one of my favorite places anywhere.

It's bed enough that Royal Dornoch is wall-to-wall with guys like us paying $200 to play.

Sigh.

K

James Brown:

--- Quote from: Ken Moum on March 29, 2016, 10:38:01 AM ---You know, it's selfish as hell of me but I really hope this never gets built. Or at least not until I am done traveling to Scotland.

The folks at Golspie and Brora already lust after the kind of money that Dornoch visitors pay, and a Keiser course between Golspie and Dornoch will likely bring them enough traffic to spoil one of my favorite places anywhere.

It's bed enough that Royal Dornoch is wall-to-wall with guys like us paying $200 to play.

Sigh.

K

--- End quote ---

I reluctantly have to agree with this sentiment.  As much as a respect the Keiser team, I think this will lead to Dornoch losing its out of the way charm.

Kalen Braley:
Is Bandon any worse off because of its influx of courses?

Ken Moum:

--- Quote from: Kalen Braley on March 29, 2016, 10:56:46 AM ---Is Bandon any worse off because of its influx of courses?

--- End quote ---

If you're a golfer who loves quality golf at a reasonable cost.... yes.

There's ZERO chance I am going to Bandon, simply because it's been turned into a place that can get $300 for a round of golf.

I am retired, and as Stan Dodd has said, my wife and I need to be conscious of our "golf per diem."

We've played a few high dollar courses that are too expensive, but inevitable--The Old Course, Prestwick, Royal Dornoch.

I played yesterday with a Canadian who's a member at Red Mountain Ranch and he said, "I lover golf, but I'm not paying two or three hundred dollar for a round. There's no golf worth that."

He's probably wrong, but we have enough $300 courses, especially in Scotland.

FWIW, when members of Brora and Fraserburgh expressed their jealousy of the course down the coast I warned them to be careful what they wish for. A tee sheet full of visitors EVERY day, glacial pace of play except for those few hours set aside for members, etc., etc.

So yes, in my world places like Bandon have helped make the game more expensive and more exclusive.. to it's detriment.

K

Thomas Dai:

--- Quote from: Kalen Braley on March 29, 2016, 10:56:46 AM ---Is Bandon any worse off because of its influx of courses?

--- End quote ---

Out of interest was there much golf of note near Bandon before Mr Keiser's development?

Even if Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart and Skibo/Carnigie were suddenly removed from the face of the planet they'd be plenty of quality golf courses worth travelling to play along the Moray Firth coastline.

Atb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version